G'day people,

There seems to be a flurry of Kiowa Warrior builds at the moment, and this is a good thing. I recently ordered the new Italeri 1/48 Kiowa OH-58D. There are quite a few in-box reviews around now so I will not rehash these here. I will say that I am happy that this hardworking little chopper has now been kitted in 1/48 and the kit is a nice rendition of the Warrior, but it has a few shortcomings IMHO. The interior detail is adequate(if sparse) and the armament options do not include the .50 calibre gun or Hellfire missile set up, both of which are very common loads and the gun in particular is a unique feature of the OH-58D.

Enough moaning now onto the plastic!

I have decided to replace some of the molded mesh areas with fine mesh to improve the appearance, so in preparation, these areas were removed and the plastic was thinned down.

OH-58D004.jpg

OH-58D003.jpg

The cockpit bulkhead has a prominent central pillar behind it however Italeri have omitted this on their bulkhead part. I simply added a small section of 3/16 square section to the rear.

OH-58D006.jpg

I also scraped off the molded on seat belt detail as I didn't think this was convincing and the lap belts in particular were a bit soft.

OH-58D005.jpg

The avionics compartment bulkhead is molded a s a flat plate, whilst in reality, there is a recessed shelf present that houses more of the avionics suite. The whole of the avionics bay is also missing. This is not as bad as it may sound because this area is basically all black and very difficult to see into, plus the avionics bay doors are molded closed. In reality, if you were to paint everything past the cockpit bulkhead black, no one would really know stuff was absent, so work can basically focus on the cockpit proper.

Unfortunately, I am a sicko and I would know stuff was missing, so I figured that I would have a crack at scratching up some of the details, not everything but just enough to make it look busy and as if stuff was actually in there.

I figured if it turned out great - awesome, but if it was an abject failure, who was going to see it anyway, and it would just be an exercise in scratch building. I am using a mixture of pics sourced online and the excellent monograph by uncle Floyd (Floyd S. Werner - OH-58D Kiowa Warrior Walkaround No.50 by Squadron Signal)as a guide for the details added.

Once I had drawn in the avionics bay rear bulkhead shelf outline, it was chain drilled and the opening was cleaned up with files.

OH-58D009.jpg

I also trimmed down the support pillar and repeatedly carried out dry fitting between sanding to ensure a snug and square fit between the parts.

OH-58D015.jpg

OH-58D010.jpg

OH-58D012.jpg

OH-58D013.jpg

OH-58D014.jpg

Next I need to add the actual shelf area,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Looking good so far!

G'day,

Thanks,

I have also started to improve the instrument panel glare shield. When the OH-58D was upgraded, one of the added improvements was to introduce a Cockpit Airbag System (CABS) to improve crew survivability in a crash. Two airbag units were installed directly above the MFD's. Operational Kiowas may also have two crew rifles stowed above the dash using a clamp system The Italeri part does not feature any of these details.

OH-58D007.jpg

OH-58D008.jpg

I chopped out the sections above the MFD's using them to judge the dimensions. A short section of plastic card was sanded to the profile required and two pieces were cut from this salami style and squared up. These were then offered up to the dashboard part.

OH-58Dupdate1021.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1022.jpg

The final part was to add the rifle racks. I used some leftover bits of photo etch to add the rails for the rifle clamps.

OH-58Dupdate1031.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1032.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1033.jpg

The flight controls are also devoid of any detail. the co-pilots collective is ok, as this is pretty plain in real life, but the pilot's collective is pretty busy. The cyclics also need a little attention. There is also supposed to be a fire extinguisher mounted to the cabin support pillar, just behind the co-pilots head. This is bright red and is really one of the few points of colour in an otherwise almost completely black cockpit/cabin. I decided to scratch one up using bits of sprue, copper wire and lead foil, I think it turned out okay.

OH-58Dupdate1018.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1019.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1020.jpg

I used scraps of plastic card and stretch sprue to add a little more detail. It's far from perfect, but its better than nothing,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

G'day people,

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement. I have made a little more progress.

The avionics 'parcel shelf' was made using some plastic sheet. I began by cementing the lower ledge into place and then adding the curved piece, starting with the lower left edge and then tack gluing the curved sheet into place with CA. Once I was happy with the shape, more CA was flowed around the edge with a toothpick and a thin cap strip of plastic was added for good measure.

OH-58D016.jpg

OH-58D017.jpg

OH-58D018.jpg

The 'mezzanine' avionics platform was just a sheet of plastic with a couple of stretched sprue supports.

I am not interested in making every single box and loom of the avionics bay, but I wanted a busy compartment all the same. I looked through my 'gash box' for some resin off-cuts. I always keep some of the resin pour stubs as they are an excellent source of rectangular stock. These were used to fabricate various avionics boxes.

OH-58Dupdate1012.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1008.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1002.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1007.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1006.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1014.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1017.jpg

I will pre-empt uncle Floyd ( i know he visits this forum :)) and say right now these are not accurate, it is just to give an idea, so for anyone who wishes to copy this on your build, they ain't accurate!

Thanks very much for looking, comments are welcome!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

You've probably got shots like these already, but I thought I'd provide them anyway (taken at Ft Campbell, KY in July 2009):

OH-58DCockpit.jpg

I didn't realize helos had air bags…

OH-58DAirbag.jpg

The interior detail is adequate(if sparse) and the armament options do not include the .50 calibre gun or Hellfire missile set up, both of which are very common loads and the gun in particular is a unique feature of the OH-58D.

Haven't gotten the kit yet but we (aftermarket) may be able to help with a Hellfire and .50 Cal option soon. When I get the kit we'll see what comes up but it looks really nice so far.

Floyd

You've probably got shots like these already, but I thought I'd provide them anyway (taken at Ft Campbell, KY in July 2009):

OH-58DCockpit.jpg

I didn't realize helos had air bags…

OH-58DAirbag.jpg

G'day DonSS3,

Thanks very much. I have plenty of pics but you can never have too many. Just to prove this point, I noticed soemthing in your pic that I never noticed before. On the lower right of the airframe (next to the pilot's leg) there is a large duct.This was the first pic to clearly show this, thanks.

Haven't gotten the kit yet but we (aftermarket) may be able to help with a Hellfire and .50 Cal option soon. When I get the kit we'll see what comes up but it looks really nice so far.

Floyd

Oh crap, now the teacher is watching! :)

G'day Floyd, coming from you that is high praise. Good news about the nug, but I am going to have a crack myself anyways. If it turns out like poo, well I can just not use it, if it turns out okay well then yay for me. Incidentally, I am after shots of the right side of the glare shield. I have pics of the left but for some reason, the rhs is often missed. The same angle but opposite to what DonSS3 posted would be great.

Since I have your attention, would you happen to have pics of aircrew wearing flight gear, as I have a few questions and it is hard to tell colours and detail from pics where the crew are seated inside. How is the sidearm worn? What colour is the webbing and survival gear, what does 'chicken plate' armor look like, pics of the helmets would be great too, including the newer maxillofacial protection gear,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Nice work so far Pappy. I don't think Andrew Perren (A1) is putting this much into his current build of the same kit but then I'm thinking he is going to tint the crap out of the rear window as is on the real deal so the avionics isn't visible.

Regards

Andrew (A2) :cop:

It's coming together very nicely. I like what you have done with the cockpit and avionics bay in the back. Keep up the good work.

...I'm thinking he is going to tint the crap out of the rear window as is on the real deal so the avionics isn't visible.

Actually, there are no windows on the rear doors. The window area is filled in with metal and the whole door is painted like the rest of the fuselage. with the doors on, you can only see the avionics through the small openings over the pilots' shoulders.

oh-58d_24_of_24.jpg

Oh double crap, now Alex (Eastern) is watching too :)

I may have a 1/35 Kiowa in the stash but I don't think Alex's job will be at risk anytime soon!

Because you can never have too many refs. OH-58D at Ft Rucker this summer.

Ray

G'day Ray!,

Many thanks. I don't want to sound ungrateful (because I am not, these are really great pics) but what I really need is a picture of the right hand side of the instrument panel cover taken form the front of the chopper and looking back through the windshield

Nice work so far Pappy. I don't think Andrew Perren (A1) is putting this much into his current build of the same kit but then I'm thinking he is going to tint the crap out of the rear window as is on the real deal so the avionics isn't visible.

Regards

Andrew (A2) :cop:

G'day Andrew, I know A1 isn't wasting his time on details which won't be seen. I agree 98% won't be visible, but as I stated at the outset, I am modelling to please myself first and foremost. It will also be useful as practice scratch building. A lot of people whinge and moan, saying stuff like 'I could never build detail like that' or 'I am not good enough' etc. Unless you practice you never improve, so here is my exercise in scratching up. It won't matter if it is bad as it won't be visible, and if it is good, well a select few hundred will have seen the stuff on here :P

Well, a few more details have been added. If you follow the Italeri instructions they would have you incorrectly locate the rudder torque pedals on top of the cockpit floor midway between the footplates. The torque pedals should be located at the front of the cockpit floor between the footplates. This means you will need to fill in the (incorrect) locating holes provided. There is also a linkage rod connecting the torque pedals to the centre pedestal. I added the torque pedals in the correct location and added some linkages using scrap plastic and stretched sprue.

OH-58Dupdate1026.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1027.jpg

OH-58Dupdate1028.jpg

Meanwhile I have started putting together the Mast Mounted Sight (MMS). The kit MMS has two openings for which Italeri provides two clear plastic lenses. The larger opening on the right (as you look at it) is the infrared (IR) camera whilst the other is for the daylight optical system.

OH-58Dupdate1024.jpg

The IR window is fairly opaque but appears different colours according to the angle of the light. Most shots show it darker than the TV side, so I will paint mine gloss black. I added two plastic discs behind each opening. I left the IR opening at that but I added some representation of the TV camera system as this window will be transparent.It was then given a coat of Tamiya clear blue

OH-58Dupdate1025.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

G'day people,

A little more progress for today.

I have punched out a clear disc as well as a disc from some holographic confetti sourced from some Christmas decorations that I hoarded from a previous year.

OH-58Dupdate2013.jpg

OH-58Dupdate2014.jpg

I have also started to detail paint the cockpit components like the cyclic and collective levers and the fire extinguisher.

OH-58Dupdate2003.jpg

OH-58Dupdate2005.jpg

OH-58Dupdate2012.jpg

The avionics boxes for the rear shelf were given a basic paint and their faces were shuzzed up with some placard decals

OH-58Dupdate2008.jpg

OH-58Dupdate2011.jpg

The components are only dry fitted in these pics so apologies if they appear a little wonky,

OH-58Dupdate2015.jpg

OH-58Dupdate2016.jpg

OH-58Dupdate2017.jpg

cheers,

Pappy

Great work Pappy!!!

Cheers Boet!

G'day people,

A little more progress. I didn't think that the Italeri instrument panel had enough relief.

The kit panel has some nice detail and is pretty close, but it just looked a little too flat. I decided that I would have a crack at making a new IP. I didn't want to completely burn my bridges though so I decided to make a resin copy of the kit panel and cut out the panels I wanted from that.

Here are the two panels side by side:

OH-58Dupdate3016.jpg

and dry fitted to the shroud

OH-58Dupdate3015.jpg

The kit AVR-2 antennas look to be the correct shape, however the rearward facing pair are not included, which is a strange omission by Italeri and in any case, they antennas need a little more detail as the window details are completely absent.

OH-58Dupdate3.jpg

Whilst the aircraft can fly without the AVR-2 antennas fitted, they would be removed as a set, so either all fitted or all removed. So basically Italeri got it half correct.

I decided to cheat here and cast resin copies of the supplied AVR-2 antennas in the Revell 1/48 WAH-64 Apache boxing.

OH-58Dupdate3017.jpg

I had come to an impasse. The issue is that the IP/cockpit assembly will not fit with the forward fuselage/nose part.

Then I had a thought. This doesn't happen to me very often so it came as something of a surprise but I went with it!

The big problem with the IP fit is that if the cockpit/cabin assembly is correctly positioned, the IP is too big to fit the available space under the instrument coaming. If you try and seat the coaming onto the panel it will sit too high and the nose piece won't touch the sides. If you push the cockpit assembly back 2mm, it will fit but then the cockpit bulkhead is too far back, and the cabin roof also moves back, which now means the rotor gear box unit is no longer centered and will need to be relocated backwards too.

This is when I had the thought.

What if I separated the instrument coaming from the fuselage nose part.

OH-58Dupdate3019.jpg

OH-58Dupdate3020.jpg

I scored around the base of the coaming repeatedly with the back of a scalpel blade. It only took a few strokes and the panel coaming came away cleanly. No for the moment of truth. How would the coaming sit over the, had I ruined the kit?

I taped up the tub and fuselage parts and this is the result:

OH-58Dupdate3021.jpg

OH-58Dupdate3022.jpg

I will have to repair some of the details and it will need a little filler but at least I can see a way forwards now,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121