F-5E Chile reference needed

Hi all,

I'm doing this scheme on my AFV Club F-5E. Does anyone have any other pics of this aircraft in this scheme? I'm looking for something that might indicate whether it carries the red stripes on the under side of the wings as well.

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

808a-a.jpg

Hi both,

Thanks for the replies, and links. From what I can tell this is a machine operating in the aggressor role. I'm going to work on the assumption that the red stripes are specific to that role, and identify the aircraft as an aggressor. You would therefore need to see them if you were looking at the underside of the aircraft only, and so they would be present.

Thanks again,

Gareth

Yeah, my best guess is the stripes are on the underside as well. It wouldn't make much sense to put ID stripes ONLY on the top of the wings.

I can't wait to see this version done. I love the F-5 myself and Chilean schemes are not exactly commonplace in model circles. BTW, anyone have a good tutorial for doing the blade antenna on the front of the tail fin?

Hi Jay,

The fairing on the front of the fin is pretty straight forward. I just found a piece of plastic card of thickness to match the fin, then used a profile guage to mark the shape. Cut, file to a better shape, glue, fill a panel line and some rivets on the fin, and sand smooth is about all it needs.

Cheers,

Gareth

Yeah, my best guess is the stripes are on the underside as well. It wouldn't make much sense to put ID stripes ONLY on the top of the wings.

I can't wait to see this version done. I love the F-5 myself and Chilean schemes are not exactly commonplace in model circles. BTW, anyone have a good tutorial for doing the blade antenna on the front of the tail fin?

The AFV Club F-5E with Chilean and Morrocan markings (and new sprue containing vertical tail, antennas and IP) is due out soon.

Hi goon

I don't really remmember the year but it was a couple of years after the Falklands War the USS Independence visited Chile and the F-5 play aggresor role against the carrier air wing, let me check

For sure that was way long before the Tigre III update in the 90

What do you think about the Brazilean AF F-5EBR upgrade with conformal fuel tanks hehehehe

F-5EM_y_CFT_depois3.jpg

Well at last time found this from a Chilean friend

04.jpg

That confirms bands over the wings

Best day

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

Thanks Armando, nice collection your friend has there!

For completeness, overnight I received a PM from Victor Manuel with a colour 3 view that indicates stripes were not on the under side of the wings. This is the only evidence I have for either choice so I'll go with that, rather than my assumption.

I only had half an hour modelling time last night, so luckily not enough time to commit paint to the masking I applied!

Thanks everyone,

Gareth

What do you think about the Brazilean AF F-5EBR upgrade with conformal fuel tanks hehehehe

I think we need those as aftermarket parts in 1/72nd..!

Thanks, great pic.

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks, great pic.

Cheers,

Andre

Did that version ever get produced? I thought I'd read it was just a proposal from somebody (Embraer?) and never actually flew in that configuration. Isn't Photoshop wonderful?

Hi both,

Thanks for the replies, and links. From what I can tell this is a machine operating in the aggressor role. I'm going to work on the assumption that the red stripes are specific to that role, and identify the aircraft as an aggressor. You would therefore need to see them if you were looking at the underside of the aircraft only, and so they would be present.

Thanks again,

Gareth

Goon, you are correct about the aggressor role, but only a few F-5 were painted with red stripes and not all of them had them painted under the wings.... I`ve made a research on this and here is what I have:

First of all both tigers II and III have carried red stripes in different combat excercises.

*Tiger II:

All F-5 with red stripes had the tail fin painted in the same pattern, but some of them had different patterns painted over and under the wings. On both patterns, the red goes over the black walkways.

Also some F-5 didn´t have the rudder painted in blue, only the white star in it.

Here is the list:

• 803 - Blue rudder and wide stripes over and under the wing.

• 805 - Blue rudder and wide stripes over and under the wing.

• 807 - Blue rudder and wide stripes over and under the wing

• 808 - Blue rudder and wide stripes over the wing.

• 811 - Camouflaged rudder with thin stripes over and under the wing.

• 814 - Camouflaged rudder with thin stripes over and under the wing.

There is a third one with camouflaged rudder but I can´t confirm wich one is it.

The marking of the two tigers heads was painted in all aircrafts!!

The red paint was removed from all aircraft after the excercise!!

*Tiger III:

These F-5E and F had red stripes painted around the wings and tail fin. The information that I have says that at least 3 were painted in this scheme:

• 812 - F-5E Tigre III - wide stripes over and under the wings (some pics around the web)

• 807 - F-5E Tigre III -(Without visual confirmation, but has been seen with traces of red paint on it)

• 817 - F-5F Tigre III - Info taken from MultiModel book (Chilean editorial)

Remember that Chilean tigers II and III have the data in spannish!

If you need any more info or pics, just send me a PM!

Thanks, great pic.

Cheers,

Andre

Actually Andre after seeing you work you only need a couple of photos the F-5eBR upgrade is not that difficult (some plastic sheet and using the conformal ruler for things like these I start with hard paper to made the basic shape allow me a couple of weeks) you only really need is the IFR probe that you can found in old ESCI/ITALERI F-5A naturally in wonderfull 1/72 scale

Let me chech and ask for more photos

Hi goon

I don't really remmember the year but it was a couple of years after the Falklands War the USS Independence visited Chile and the F-5 play aggresor role against the carrier air wing, let me check

For sure that was way long before the Tigre III update in the 90

F-5EM_y_CFT_depois3.jpg

Well at last time found this from a Chilean friend

04.jpg

That confirms bands over the wings

Best day

Armando

Armando: I think the pics of the Brazilian F-5 it`s a photoshop!! I haven´t found anything about it....can you confirm that those CFT´s are all ready in use??

Regards

Andrés

Armando: I think the pics of the Brazilian F-5 it`s a photoshop!! I haven´t found anything about it....can you confirm that those CFT´s are all ready in use??

Regards

Andrés

Hi Andres

Well I´m also been looking for more photos but still unwanted ............. so

Let me ask to the Brazzukas modellers ????? who knows it look really nice man !!!!

Best modeling

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER
  • 2 months later...