The return or Heroic Fantasy as we have never seen it before.

Star Wars, Flash Gordon, Avatar, and plenty others were inspired by it and took from it.

Written a 100 years ago, and feeling as fresh as if it had just been picked from the tree:

John Carter of MARS.

Also known under the original title of: A Princess of Mars.

Wow...! I have to watch it again.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Hey! That looks like fun! It being pure Edgar Rice Burrows pulp fantasy, can't really do too much "nitpicking!" Will definitely look forward to seeing it when it starts streaming or comes out on DVD.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Edited by Old Blind Dog

It's been pretty trashed by the critics here, but that doesn't ever mean much.

Are these the same "critics" who fawn over most of the pablum that Follywood churns out? <_<

I will definitely see it, as my boss is taking his whole team out to see it next week (on the clock). :woot.gif:

I was in Barnes and Noble last week and they had a flashy book display on John Carter. The clerk and some other folks that were checking it out thought it was recent novel adapted into a film. They looked shocked when I said, "You guys realize that the book is 100 years old, right?"

How does it cOmpare to other contemporary Disney movies like Pirates or Prince of Persia?

I thought POP in particular was a little weak with great production values, while Pirates was great at first but got progressively repetitive and weak.

Thought it was a lot better than PoP. The first Pirates movie was great, mainly because it was fresh. The later movies just got bloated, like most squeals.

John Carter was a bit confusing at first since I haven't read any of the books. It took a little while to figure out who was who and what exactly was going on, and even after seeing the movie, I'm still not sure what the shape shifting bald bad guys were really up to. From what I've heard, there were a number of books in the series, and this movie is a mixture of two of three of them, mostly "A Princess of Mars".

BTW, SyFy channel was showing some 2009 movie called "Princess of Mars" this morning. Same source material, but incredibly cheap and cheesy, like most of the junk movies SyFy shows.

I saw it yesterday with my daughter. It had some really good scenes and very creative props etc in everyway....the creativity and special effects was first class. It did have that wonderful appeal of a story written 100 years ago.

My only complaint is the tempo of the movie kept starting and stopping. You'd have an action scene and once that was over....you'd get a talking scene that would seem to drag on forever.....then another 2 minutes action scene.....then a long talking scene. My daughter and I both felt the movie seemed to start and stop......just when you thought the movie was building stream and getting going........it would drop into another long talking scene that really didn't give you much info and left you wondering when they were going to stop talking.

But the creativity and special effect were worth the price of admission.

How does it cOmpare to other contemporary Disney movies like Pirates or Prince of Persia?

I thought POP in particular was a little weak with great production values, while Pirates was great at first but got progressively repetitive and weak.

That's because Jerry Bruckenheimer wasn't at the helm on the 4th movie, it was the same for the 5 or 6 writers who created the story, i believe most of them ir not all were not aboard on the 4th movie. It was their creative genius that made the first 3 movies such a success, that great mix of humor, drama and adventure (as well as supernatural creatures and ships). I am thinking about that surrealist scene on the salar in the POTC 3, an idea like that i have not seen an equivalent in any other movie (the change of pace and style was so astonishing, absorbing and brilliant, i don't know what the authors were getting their inspiration from when they wrote that, with the little crabs an all, but i gave it 8 tentacles ! The problem is that Captain Jack Sparrow needs an ensemble of other clowns and serious characters around him for the mix to work, Captain Sparrow alone could not carry the 4 story, and the idea to dump the humor and make the movie more dramatic and gloomy just took the magic away from it. Now i have now idea why the winning team of Jerry Bruckenheimer and the original writers of the story were not on board on that one, there could be many reasons, i have no idea, but my theory usually on things like that is: if it ain't broke, don't repair it. They tried to change something that was working great, it's a pity.

I just hope they won't do the same for John Carter of Mars, because they hinted that there would be another movie (if the first one sells well).

My only complaints about the movie was the 3D, which i believe was superfluous, it is not very comfortable to wear the 3D eyeglesses as you don't get a full field of view (particularly for people who wear correction lenses), and the bad guys weren't that impressive as adversaries, but the story wasn't so much about them as about the adventures of John Carter in his new world. Otherwise that's the kind of movie that i could watch again several times, just like POTC, and given that Andrew Stanton had only directed two animation movies prior to John Carter (albeit for Pixar, for which he won a best movie award) what he did is pretty amazing, and with two main actors that were mostly untested in leading roles (about Lynn Collins, i just found out she had a long acting carreer prior to this, and she is a black belt of karate ! Looking back at her musculation and her fight scenes, now i understand (!)

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Lynn Collins was definitely the best part of this movie. :woot.gif: I saw it yesterday and, being my first 3D experience, wasn't very impressed. I would have liked it much better on a regular screen I'm sure. I thought that the 3D effects and glasses just detracted from the whole experience.

Lynn Collins was definitely the best part of this movie. :woot.gif: I saw it yesterday and, being my first 3D experience, wasn't very impressed. I would have liked it much better on a regular screen I'm sure. I thought that the 3D effects and glasses just detracted from the whole experience.

Agree...especially about Lynn Collins!

I didn't find the 3D was that impressive. Odd, considering how much money they threw at it. I'm likely to take it in again in good old regular 2D.

It's unfortunate it appears to have gotten the bad press it has. Something like that takes on a life of its' own. Several people I've talked to aboot it stated that they're not going to see it because they've heard it wasn't any good. Oh well, at least the theatre won't be crowded for round two.

Alvis 3.1