Modeling while on assignment?

Hello All,

I’m looking for experiences, opinions and tips from those who have built models while away from home. I’m on a 6 mo. assignment in Singapore, and my initial thinking was that I would suspend building until I got back home. But, I’m having second thoughts. Since I’m without all my tools & paints, what type of kits should I build? What have you done? Maybe build without painting anything? Just like when I was a kid first starting off.

Your feedback is most welcomed.

Thanks!

Mike

I'm in Nigeria half the year, and I have lately starting building balsa wood airplanes. (Guillow)

All you need is a sharp knife and some wood glue.

I'm trying to modify a Hurricane into an RC plane, just for that added bit of frustration.

Ken

When I'm out doing field work I'm away from home from 5 to 10 days at a time. I like to take complex armor models with lots of PE. Not only do they not require me to bring along any paints, but also store better than aircraft kits with all their point bits and odd angles.

If you're dead set on aircraft modeling though, you can do what I did on my last outing. I brougt a sharp xacto blade, a few sheets of bare metal foil, and one of those pill divider things with the canopies from about 12 different aircraft models (mostly bombers). After about three evenings of that, I got my modeling fix for a few weeks :)

I take 1/144th or small 1/72nd. They don't take up lots of room, which means I can put the model in my carryon. Make yourself a little travel kit; throw some burshes, tweezers, toothpicks, sanding sticks, and anything else you might need. You could probably throw a package of exacto blades in your checked luggage. I use acrylic paints so I have never had an issue with putting a few in my checked luggage, wrapped up nicely in multiple ziplock bags and bubble wrap so they don't spill. You might be able to find all the paints you need over in Singapore too.

Take something; you'll be glad you did!

Must agree with Rkic and John King. I bring a small kids pencil holder with the most used tools, sprue cutter, brushes, tweezers, and some liquid glue, few key paints and some filler putty, plus some sanding sticks. Then I bring a kit. I can do most anything I want except the airbrushing. So sitting in the hotel watching TV, get the model fix in too.

It's been great.

Plus, if it's checked, I have had no problems either.

John

When I go on assignment it is usually the real thing..... so I load 'em and push 'em. Then get a six pack and try to relax in an unfamiliar bed. But I'm only gone a few days at a time. So Sleep is usually in order.

Even retired I work with the Jsf program all day and still model as much as possible at night. Just had the aviation sickness since I was 6 years old....... Always think about planes, well except on the rare occasions with th wife ofcourse......

Welcome to Singapore, Mike! I think you'll find that it's easy to get just about any modeling supplies you need here, and, if I read things correctly and you are not living out of a suitcase, it's just a matter of buying what you need and packing it all to ship back when your stint is over.

Tools are easy, it's harder to pack models ... especially if you have a yen for things with long wings. My suggestion would be not to glue the big bits together till you get home ... so what you can probably do is to assemble and paint the cockpit, interior, etc, but leave the wings off until your stuff is shipped home.

I drive 18 wheelers and carry a tool box for the tools and a small plastic cabinet for the paints and such. I store my paintbrushes in a 44 oz plastic cup with lid. The kits, I store on the top bunk of the cab. When I pull a 34 hour reset, out come the kits and I get to model. The only drawback is painting the exterior, I have not figured out a way to use my airbrush. ( I don't have a big enough inverter to run my compressor and the airline pressure is too high in my airbrake system)

@richter111 ... my suggestion: a CO2 tank, the smallest one you can find. All you need to do is pop into any soft drink supply or industrial gases company to refill. I'm sure you can find some way of securing it to your rig.

I have a small plastic bin perhaps 14 inches long, 8 inches wide, and about 4-5 deep. I can work on any kind of bodywork, meaning parts prep/clipping/sanding/filing and filling in not only seams but imperfections. I take sandpaper, shaped files, toothpicks, CA glue and CA accelerator. I can also take brushes, a rag, a couple of bottles of paint and filler for small painting things, such as interior bits.

Just yesterday I was out of town for the day undergoing a series of medical tests and such, and between tests/appointments I was sanding and clipping and doing parts prep for a resin kit. I went from a cold, total start on the kit to having every part of the airframe (wings, fuselage, cowling, tail, horizontal stabs) plus the cockpit floor and walls prepped and ready to use by the time I left.

Admittedly it does help that I'm a 1/72 builder. :)