Kittyhawk F-94C Starfire in box.

Is there any type of intake trunking?

Gene K

Gene,

No, there isn't. Here's the instructions for the intakes:-

sr12.jpg

Here's the front of the main intakes where you attach the intake lip:-

sr13.jpg

And here's the rear of those parts showing how there is a short inner liner area:-

sr14.jpg

Honestly? I'm on the cusp of thinking adding trunking would be a waste of time and energy. . . it's a small area intake throttled even more by the inner liner, not some gaping maw. Others mileage may, of course, vary, but I'm happy to give 'em a total pass in this instance.

hi Drewe

please keep us informed on how you like the kit as you build it.

i want to know so we can improve our next kits

the PCM orders were shipped from the China Warehouse on May 15th.they will most likely start shipping as soon as they get them.

the delay was not a PCM fault. there was a hangup in China.

also China Frieght or UPS lost my test shots. so you guys are not the only ones put out on this kit.

also the next kit will be announced here and elsewhere on Saturday.

Glen Coleman

World Wide Representive

WWW.KittyHawkModel.com

2012030612505.jpg

Edited by KAGNEW

- Glen wrote:

also the next kit will be announced here and elsewhere on Saturday.-

Got mine yesterday - absolutely beautiful, crisp and delicate surface detail! Began building the cockpit last night - lots of ejector pin markings to sand out. I'm just going to OOB it.

Can't wait for the announcement - hope it's another needed nifty fifties a/c like the Cougar, Banshee, F-86A or E. Heck, I'd like to see a new Mirage IIIE/V or T-33/F-80 done to this level of detail.

bob

Edited by sierrascale

Drewe,

I just received my F-94 from Lucky Model, and overall, I am impressed with the kit...in the box. On taping it together for a trial fit, all was well until...I ended up with huge gaps in the wing root area on both sides. Looks like I'll need to do a lot of bending and then gluing the top of the wings to the fuselage sides before adding the wing bottom.

IMG_0785_1296x968.jpg

Did you find a similar challenging area and if so, what's your fix?

Gene K

Drewe,

I just received my F-94 from Lucky Model, and overall, I am impressed with the kit...in the box. On taping it together for a trial fit, all was well until...I ended up with huge gaps in the wing root area on both sides. Looks like I'll need to do a lot of bending and then gluing the top of the wings to the fuselage sides before adding the wing bottom.

Did you find a similar challenging area and if so, what's your fix?

Gene K

Haven't taken any of mine off the sprues yet so I can't saym but looking at that I'm probably going to do so shortly! Looking at yours, if construction doesn't sort it out then I think supergluing some platic sheet to the wings at the root prior to assembly and sanding it true would be the best idea. It looks like it may be one of those "looks atrocius, REALLY easy fix" jobs!

Edited by Dmanton300

Gene, here's mine test fitted:-

wingstar.jpg

Nothing like your gap. I'm noticing that when placed on the fuselage the wing does sit kind of flat though, so will need good taping and gluing to assume the correct dihedral, which pics seem to indicate was significant on the real thing anyway:-

f94c01.jpg

f94c02.jpg

Well, there's my findings!

Edited by Dmanton300
Looking at yours, if construction doesn't sort it out ....

Thanks, Drewe - looking forward to seeing how yours fits.

As you suggested, during construction the wing root gaps are narrowed a little after the center wheel well section is glued in, setting the dihedral. After more trial fitting, bending, and pressing, I've decided to attach the top wings to the fuselage halves, then close the remaining gaps by piecemeal gluing small sections of the lower wing to the fuselage.

Not a big problem as you said...just surprising since the rest of the kit parts fit so well...so far.

Gene K

Yeh I had pretty firmly taped the wheel bay in place too so that helped I think.

Edit:-Actually, it helped some, but on a quick look there's still some play and hauling the wings up to close the gap totally on mine seems to set the dihedral pretty much on the money. Wonder if it's actually well designed after all?

Edited by Dmanton300
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All!

Reading with interest the potential wing gap issue. I've come to this point with my own and see a rather large gap at the top of the wings/fuselage. I made sure that the wheel bay was securely glued in place to set the dihedral. I have already glued the top wings in place. I was wondering if anyone has tried to split the rear fuselage bottom and put a styrene wedge in to push the join out to fill in the gap (at the rear)? I think this may be the easiest (??) solution Vs lots of filler. Any thoughts??

Thanks again!

Jim