I did some dry fitting as I am waiting for my current project's gloss coat to dry... Damn, this thing IS big. Certainly the biggest model I have attempted so far. Not sure how its going to work in the paint booth but there is only one way to find out!

Always wanted to pick this kit up but the price always seemed a bit steep. Well until I saw it on scalehobbyist for 50 bucks lol. Now to just wait until I got back to work next week.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone - a lot of progress (well, at least for me!)

I have the two massive fuselage pieces painted on the inside - I did some shading on the stringers and such and some highlighing as well. The bomb bay... well I am not sure - It calls for a grey but I was not 100% sure which one so I assumed the same grey as the undersides. I might have to change that.

The cockpit has been fun - still not done, needs a flat coat and I want to mimic wood on the two 'tables' using oil paints. Will be a first time for that.

CIMG0942.jpg

CIMG0944.jpg

CIMG0945.jpg

Nice work so far, CM. EZ Masks, set #26 for the 1/48 Tamiya 'Betty'. Hobby House on Montreal Rd carries them. Give them a shout to see if they have a set. Save you ordering from Squadron. Just a thought...

The interior work looks very neat, paintwork very well done. Way back when i did 1/48, i bought this kit but never did build it. All that clear stuff to mask scared me. If you can find them, get the easy masks. I've used them on a few builds and always pleased with the results.

Don

Now you tell me!! :)

Too late - I ordered without calling either LHS. I figured the Betty would be too esoteric. I got a set of the eduard ones coming in for $11... money well spent I think! I should have some pics tomorrow evening.

The gauges for the IP were punched out of the tamiya decal and applied individually:

CIMG0946.jpg

I tried to get a nice wood look to the tables in cockpit. I wish I started out with a lighter base colour but I like the oil paint wood grain effect anyway:

CIMG0949.jpg

CIMG0950.jpg

Really makes me wish they'd do a 1:48 B-17 man it would be good.

If the 1/48th RoG F goes on sale on Squadrons site I'm gonna do up Panama Hattie in a diorama and give it to the local air museum. I have to many kits in the stash though to justify spending 50 bucks right now. I concurs on the wood grain, perfect effect and very to scale looking.

Bill

If the 1/48th RoG F goes on sale on Squadrons site I'm gonna do up Panama Hattie in a diorama and give it to the local air museum. I have to many kits in the stash though to justify spending 50 bucks right now. I concurs on the wood grain, perfect effect and very to scale looking.

Bill

That's not a new tooling though is it? I thought it was just the old RM F redone again.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a beautiful interior.

Two questions. Who sits in the seat behind the copilot? Navigator? Or is the navigator in the small round seat?

Also, and perhaps more importantly? Any more progress? I'm eager to see more of this build. I always liked the Betty.

Good question! I have no idea who sits there. I do know that the large 'table' behind all three is where the radio equiment was so I can only assume that the other 'table' was for the nav to plot.

Yup - progress. The fuse is all buttoned up, wings on, emprennage on. I have masked the windows and installed these as well. I did not like how the main canopy fit so I have been adjusting it and I think I have it right now. Hopefully she will have her primer on by the end of the weekend so I can start the fun stuff.

Here you go - I think she is ready for paint.

I had some issues with the fuse seam and a few sink marks around the nose. The canopy join is tight and I think thats causing a bit of a pop out along one side - I did my best to blend it in.

CIMG0951.jpg

CIMG0955.jpg

Still getting used to my photo set up.

Anyhow - the painting will begin this evening. IJN grey on the bottom and then the 2 toned camo on the top.