1:48 Mirage 2000C. Eduard or Kinetic

Hi all,

The title says it all. Which kit do you think is the best for a 1:48 Mirage 2000C? Kinetic or Eduard? I am looking for the following:

1. Shape (not rivet counter please).

2. Surface details. Is kinetic has details that are much better than Eduard (Heller)?

Consider Kinetic need aftermarket parts, buying the Eduard one which is more expensive is the same as the Kinetic with correction sets. So it is hard to decide. What do you think?

I actually tried to build the Eduard one and it was not good. Many fit issues. I have the Kinetic in my stash and the details look way better but as I have not built it yet I cannot tell you about fit issues. I purchased the kinetic after the eduard one and I was pleased with my purchase.

Would really like to know what you mean by "right".

If you are building the aircraft sitting on its wheels, then you will need to close all large main landing gear doors. The real Mirage 2000 does not sit on its landing gear with all doors open. Search for pics on the net to see what I mean. Therefore, be prepared to use putty and lots of sanding/re-scribing since the gear doors don't fit into their respective opening very well. The ESCI kit has the large gear doors moulded in the closed position.

If you are building the aircraft sitting on its wheels, then you will need to close all large main landing gear doors. The real Mirage 2000 does not sit on its landing gear with all doors open. Search for pics on the net to see what I mean. Therefore, be prepared to use putty and lots of sanding/re-scribing since the gear doors don't fit into their respective opening very well. The ESCI kit has the large gear doors moulded in the closed position.

I'm sorry but that is a wrong information. Even the landing gear doors be closed after the descend of gear, mechannic open the main doors to check any hydrolic and electric problems.

The door could be open or closed, there is no rules about that

I'm sorry but that is a wrong information. Even the landing gear doors be closed after the descend of gear, mechannic open the main doors to check any hydrolic and electric problems.

Sorry, that is not wrong information. 99.9% of the pictures I've seen show the landing gear doors closed. I even saw the real aircraft at an airshow, and the landing gear doors were closed. It's not normal for them to be open unless they are manually opened for the reason you stated.

The old Monogram also got it right:

monogram_mirage2000_bottom.jpg

The mirage 3 also had this feature, and remember all a mirage 2000 is, is a Super mirage 3. The norm is closed doors on ground. But there are pictures around with them open although this would be the exemption not the rule.

The mirage 3 also had this feature, and remember all a mirage 2000 is, is a Super mirage 3. The norm is closed doors on ground. But there are pictures around with them open although this would be the exemption not the rule.

And no I'm not saying a 2000 is the same airframe than a 3 but its basically what a super hornet is to a legacy hornet.

Not at all! The overall shape is the only thing Mirage III and Mirage 2000 have in common.

Regarding the wheel well doors, as on most of aircraft, the most of them close after the gear is down. The engineers open them for postflight checks and close them ASAP

A quick check at Airlines.NET can show anyone if you are right

Not at all! The overall shape is the only thing Mirage III and Mirage 2000 have in common.

Regarding the wheel well doors, as on most of aircraft, the most of them close after the gear is down. The engineers open them for postflight checks and close them ASAP

And shape is pretty much all a Hornet and Super Hornet have in common as well (well, there's some commonality in the front fuselage, but that's it). However in both cases the newer jet is a follow-on design to the older and retains the basic configuration and some engineering.

Hello.

The gear doors can be opened or closed while on the ground, the Mirage 2000 and III have the same settings in that respects, I have tons of our aging M-IIIEA with both, open and closed main gear doors.

Best,

Juan

A friend of mine is ex-French Air Force and he is very pleased with the overall shape of the Heller kit. I'll ask about the Kinetic kit and get ack to you. Fidelity of shape means quite a bit to him especially when it comes to Dassault aircraft!

Found this interesting excerpt from Yahoo! Groups:

Heller:

Fuselage/fin. Correct shape BUT the fuselage is about 1/52 scale being

grossly undersized relative to the line drawings. Panel lines acceptable,

shapes acceptable

Wing....1/48 scale but trailing edge swings forward significantly. Panel

lines/ control surfaces in correct locations and correct shape. Nearly

correct wing tip shape as well.

The full blown version can be found here: Mirage 2000C Italeri 1/48