Academy 1:48 EF-111A Raven

That is exactly the problem I had once when doing a 1/72 Hasegawa Hornet. Most decals (SuperScale) just disappeared in the grey painted surface. It was rather disappointing, since most of them became practically invisible.

I still regret not doing anything about it: should have stopped as I first discovered the problem and maybe chosen another scheme... :crying2:

I must say though, that this Raven is stunning! Very well done!

/Kristian

Wow that looks so sweet! I always loved the lines of the F-111 and that paint looks spot on too. :thumbsup:/>/> Could you imagine if Hasegawa scaled their kit up to 1/48. Not likely but we can all dream....

48th scale Hasy 111's... Be still my heart!

If only!

DET1460

Nice build and paint! The intakes are perfect! Not many folks know how they look at low power settings. You got it exactly right, Benner!

Edited by DET1460

I am right there with you DET1460, I would love to see Hasegawa do a 1/48th EF & F-111F also an EA / A-6 and an A-10.

Keep it going Benner, your doing a great job here and I am looking forward to your next update.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

A comparison of the Ozmods wheels on the left and the Resin-Art wheels on the right.

The nose wheel of the Resin-Art example is slightly larger than the Ozmod one; this gave me problems of fitting it on the nose gear as the top of the wheel would be touching another part of the landing gear. So I've decided to use Ozmods wheels for my F-111 builds.

fnair.jpg

put on a light wash and have started putting decals on. Problem with the superscale sheet though, the gray stencils are too close to the topside colour that they don't show up so I have left them off.

2e3crrm.jpg

You're doing a fabulous job on that fabulous a/c 70.gif !

Benner,

Just found your build blog. Simply outstanding to say the list. Your attention to detail, and problem solving clearing shows your advanced level of modeling.

I do have one question. You applied a slight wash prior to decaling. I've always left pin washes, filters, dry brushing, and general weathering till after decaling and sealing them in a few coats of gloss. What was your reasoning for the wash before decaling?

Thanks,

Joel

Benner,

Just found your build blog. Simply outstanding to say the list. Your attention to detail, and problem solving clearing shows your advanced level of modeling.

I do have one question. You applied a slight wash prior to decaling. I've always left pin washes, filters, dry brushing, and general weathering till after decaling and sealing them in a few coats of gloss. What was your reasoning for the wash before decaling?

So that there will be no problem for me with getting the wash into panel lines for which clear decal film will cover.

So that there will be no problem for me with getting the wash into panel lines for which clear decal film will cover.

I see. That does make sense, as I've had similar problems using kit decals.

Joel

wheels glued on

2rm5kky.jpg

Coming along nicely. Your overall panel wash really looks realistic in this picture. Certainly not over done by any means. Is it just me, or does the closest front wheel look like it's not touching the box like the other wheel is?

Joel

Is it just me, or does the closest front wheel look like it's not touching the box like the other wheel is?

Joel

you're right, I spotted that before I posted the pic. I'll likely shave a bit off the other tire to level it more; plus with higher angle pictures it will be hardly noticeable.

Edited by Benner
  • 7 months later...

haven't worked on this build in a long time ...

did some touch up painting and applied some decals on the fin. I used the kit decals and cut them up to represent the serial I wanted. The kit decals seemed too dark so I lightened them with some gray being over sprayed.

epq2k8.jpg

11l6bdi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did some work on the forward section of the fuselage. I used the kit decals for the Insignia, but they are too dark so I lightened them by overspraying some light gray. The "Desert Storm", "Desert Shield", and mission markings are custom decals printed off an Inkjet printer. Crew figures have been added as well; thanks to Pete for supplying one head with HGU-55.

25ur2n4.jpg

358t7pu.jpg

Edited by Benner