That looks awesome !! Great to see someone finally building this kit...I've been holding off getting one for a while, but your build might be the inspiration to pick one up!

I'm curious what markings you're putting on... I'm actually considering a what-if scheme too.

Things are looking fabulous indeed MH, I'd say the weathering looks great so far :thumbsup:/> The details you are adding to the inside will be totally stunning after the fuse is closed up and the lighting is turned on.... Keep up the great progress!

/Jesse

That looks awesome !! Great to see someone finally building this kit...I've been holding off getting one for a while, but your build might be the inspiration to pick one up!

I'm curious what markings you're putting on... I'm actually considering a what-if scheme too.

Thanks Anthony :D

I say pick one up bro - mind you, make sure you have plenty of shelf space - it's pretty big! The box alone is as big as the 1/32 SU27

I also was waiting for someone to do a WIP of one of these here but no one seemed to interested in the subject mater (?) I saw one on BMF that made me want to get one, but I wanted to add something extra to mine.

Things are looking fabulous indeed MH, I'd say the weathering looks great so far :thumbsup:/>/> The details you are adding to the inside will be totally stunning after the fuse is closed up and the lighting is turned on.... Keep up the great progress!

/Jesse

Thanks Jesse! :D

Hopefully, once it's painted, it'll look better. However, as I have always maintained - painting is not my strong suit, so it'll be a game of wait-n-see :whistle:

I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to disguise the power cables. Originally, I was going to cut out a small door on the right side of the fuselage and have the cables going to an external APU, but that then entails having an entire base to display it on and I just don't have the room for such a large base. Now, I'm not thinking about having a tank (or something) inside the plane with the power cables running through the bottom of the floor up through into the tank and storing the 9V battery inside the tank leaving enough cable to be able to pull it out to be able to change the battery at some point. :wacko:

I don't know where I'll have the switch though. Might have to drill out a small hole in the bottom of the hull and have the small switch protrude from there. Lots to think about.....

MH

Thanks Anthony :D/>

I say pick one up bro - mind you, make sure you have plenty of shelf space - it's pretty big! The box alone is as big as the 1/32 SU27

I also was waiting for someone to do a WIP of one of these here but no one seemed to interested in the subject mater (?) I saw one on BMF that made me want to get one, but I wanted to add something extra to mine.

I'm actually really curious to see the BMF scheme.

I have so many "ideas" of schemes to do this in, really weather UN white, fictional camo which opens up a whole host of other options...

I know I want a really 'weathered' and 'worn' and serviced look.

Another idea? :) DHL A400M

You went full LED. You never go full LED. Nah just kidding. I like it so far. I'm excited to see more.

LOL - yeah, maybe I should stay away from lighting things up - but Ii just can't help myself. It's like a chocolate addiction - once you start, you just keeping wanting more and more and more.... :D

I'm actually really curious to see the BMF scheme.

I have so many "ideas" of schemes to do this in, really weather UN white, fictional camo which opens up a whole host of other options...

I know I want a really 'weathered' and 'worn' and serviced look.

Another idea? :)/> DHL A400M

HA! That's very different I must say, but it's not for me - too much yellow. Still, I would like to see a UPS or Fed-Ex version of that - would look rather interesting! I did see a US Coast Guard version which I thought looked pretty darned awesome!

The BMF one was the standard all over BOG gray. It was well built and painted, but just gray. I'm not a fan of just gray.

The scheme I have in mind is pretty cool and not sen yet on any A400 I can find on the net. Peoples opinion remains to be seen ;)

actually - yes I did see that one - I had even commented on it to.

WIF's certainly are fun - that's for sure (well, for me anyway - I know a lot of people who aren't really fans of WIF's - they prefer an accurate model of a real aircraft. That's fine, but I like to let my imagination go a bit on the off side every now and then)

When will you start yours?

Time for a quick update.

I have done as much detailing as I want too on the rear sides - there are hundreds more cables to add but that would just be over kill. Ii will add painted tape seat belts for the seats once the interior is painted.

IMG_1100_zpsa87ebd80.jpg

IMG_1099_zpsc22383ae.jpg

Speaking of which, it is now all primed and ready to start!

IMG_1117_zps5c7a5c88.jpg

IMG_1119_zps2ed41d4c.jpg

IMG_1120_zps0c7cd717.jpg

IMG_1124_zps07186bfc.jpg

The roof section has also been primed. This looks a little boring but I did add PE grills in those recessed squares, but they are hidden by tape because I want to keep them natural metal:

IMG_1125_zps3192a2ee.jpg

Well, that's all I've done. Next update should be the painted interior.

I did a dry fit of the floor to the right hand side of the fuselage and there is a HUGE gap at the join of the rear bulkhead the the sides, so I'll have to cover it with some thin plastic strip from behind once they are married up

As always, thanks for stopping in :cheers:/>

MH

When will you start yours?

Well I have a small project that has been keeping me from other things over the past few years, my Anigrand C-17 build which I will finish one day.

I would love to start on my A400 this year but I will see how my motivation is going to finish a few other projects currently on the bench.

Your cabling in the back end is looking good BTW

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Fantastic work, MH!!!!!

Looks like it'll be friggin huge! How big is it compared to a Herc?

:o I'm so sorry Janne - I didn't see you had replied until now! My sincerest apologies for not responding sooner

OK, an A400 is 45.10 meters long (147.97 ft) and a C-130 base model is 29.80 Meters (97.77 ft) - longer for later versions. The A400 is wider 14.70 m (48.23ft) compared to C130 = 11.40 m (37.40 ft)

I got these measurement from http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/compare-aircraft-results.asp?form=form&aircraft1=820&aircraft2=28&Submit=Compare+Aircraft so I take no responsibility if that is inaccurate ;)

What does that actually look like? Unfortunately, I don't have a 1/72 C130 to compare it next too sorry, so I can't show you. Maybe someone here has the 2 kits they can take a picture of?

Anyways, thanks for dropping in Janne - it's great to hear from you again :)

Ray,

Do you have an online WIP or pics of your C17? I'd love to see it! Is it is much of a pig of a kit as people say it is? One of the guys from my club bought the 1/72 C5 (man that is freaking HUGE!!!! You should see it up against the AN-124 :jaw-dropping: The 124 is just massive!!) and it looked brilliant and well engineered. I just wondered if all the negative feedback Anigrand received for the C17 was worth it?

Si

Here is a comparison picture of a 1/72 C-130, A400M and C-17. I built the C-130 a few years ago and it is the Esci kit.

]C-17_Size_Compare_SM_02_zps48c54d69.jpg

Simon, here is the build thread saga for my C-17, I have not touched it for some time. you make your own judgement on the kit, I am going to town on it, like you and the A400M. No lighting though.

Damn, seeing this pictures has renewed my interest in the C-17. Might see what I can do this weekend with it.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Thanks for the pics Rom, the first one was how I was originally going to display it, but as I said, it would just be too big a display to do.

Ray, I had a read through your WIP and I have to say, u are a brave man. A lot of work!! I'm surprised at how big the C17 is though! It looks a lot bigger than I expected in 72 scale.

Edited by The Madhatter

If I get it finished I might even bring it down to Expo next year for people to poke fun at :D.

I plan to finish it this year for our comp in November.

So how's is your A400M build going, sorry to spear the thread off track.

yeah absolutely you have to bring it down to Expo! I think the bloke from my modelling club will take his 1/72 C-5 and AN-124 to expo - you could both have your own display table. I could put the A400 next to your C17 and see how tiny it is compared to the C5 etc. Kind of like what we did with our club display this year (constant scale - all 1/72 builds)

The build it self is coming along nicely. I have made a start painting the interior and will try to continue with it over the weekend - but it's so bloody cold here I'm not sure I can take more than 10 minutes out in the shed

• 2 weeks later...

hi everyone

Time for an update

I have been slowly plugging away at this beast and have got the interior painted. I just need to dirty it up some with scuff marks and greasy hand prints. I have completed one side of the seat straps and am about to start on the other side. I ended up using a length of brass rod and wrapped the tape belts around the top, with a small drop of super glue to hold the top of the tape in place. Once they were wrapped, sprayed them blue and then glued the brass over the top of the row of seats. I then put a small drop of glue at the top of the base and then carefully folded the tape to give it the appearance of being stowed away.

The end result is much more effective than having nothing there.

In regards to the panels on the inside, I sprayed random ones darker and lighter shades of the base coat so they look like they have been replaced. The flat coat went over the top and it has frosted slightly, but it doesn't look to bad - well, at least to me. If the general consensus is that it doesn't look OK, then I'll apply a light misting of the base coat over the panels to get rid of the frosting. I like it because it makes them look worn and faded, but that's just me

Let me know what you think:

Some pre-shading:

IMG_1126_zpsfa5ddcba.jpg

Colour on:

IMG_1184_zps2f7c4a26.jpg

IMG_1178_zps44239ae6.jpg

IMG_1183_zps8c2f0d66.jpg

IMG_1179_zps90b7d331.jpg

IMG_1181_zps8200a7e8.jpg

And without straps:

IMG_1187_zps3c81a2a1.jpg

IMG_1186_zps5f8e7703.jpg