Great Wall Hobby 1/48 F-15B/D

The engine bulges don't look right... :(/> They seem to be too large or too close to each other - there is not enough space between them. I hope I'm wrong, but if the part really looks like the image above suggests, then it is a serious flaw in my opinion... :(/>

Huh? What photo are you looking at??

Any ideas where "Ssgt Jspes Mrelsns" (the name on the OR ANG twin seater) may be from? And I thought I had a difficult name ;-) .

The kit looks great apart from the clearly made-up crew names on the decal sheet.

Not to mention Lt Coc Cokth McCain.

No, not security reasons. If it's painted on the side of an airplane that anyone with a camera can take a photo of, it can't be very classified, can it?

Anyone have pictures of the Hasegawa and Acad engine bulges? I do not have the eye for these things, perhaps someone with these photos(or take a few) can help out?

Rest of the kit looks awesome though. I hope that if an issue can be demonstrated to GWH, that they can do something about it.

Ah well, this and the MiG-29 for the gotta get eventually list.

Edited by Av8fan

The engine bulges don't look right... :(/> They seem to be too large or too close to each other - there is not enough space between them. I hope I'm wrong, but if the part really looks like the image above suggests, then it is a serious flaw in my opinion... :(/>

I need to study it more, but here's the real thing

F-15_102ndFW_BBB_7788.jpg

Do you have photos of the USAF style missile rails to go on the ADU-552's?

Niels, you can look here, though many of the shots have missiles on the rails, and obscure them a bit. Also, the BOL rails are there, with the addition on the back of the rail

http://kenmiddleton.net/real_aviation/F-15/walk/F-15-Details.htm

I need to look thru my pics for clean rail shots to add

I agree, there is a problem with the humps, not faired in enough and spacing between is not enough. Possibly the humps are too large?

Wow, just wow for those details. GWH become my favorite model company after these Mig-29 and F-15 releases. You don't need any aftermarket at all. Fantastic work.

Thanks for uploading all these pictures viperbite!!

Just have to fill in a few panel lines, change the engine humps, it's defiantly not a B model family truckster but they got A/B model wheels....

Nice kit just a few problems, some already pointed out others need to be found...

To me it looks like the engine humps are roughly shaped like V on real thing, and in between them there is upside down V. On the kit however the shape of the humps is different creating Y like area in between.

Couple of nits I noticed:

Lettering is reversed on some of the wheel parts. Interesting tell about how they did the CAD modelling - clearly they modeled the inner and outer faces, then mirrored the bodies, rather than copying them. Unfortunately, that means they also mirrored the lettering. BF Goodrich -> hcirdooG FB. Both the inner and outer faces of the new style wheels show this (so you'll have one accurate wheel, one reverse wheel), but only the outer face of the old style wheels are reversed:

114702cxuj73l77l7xazxu.jpg

Also, the guide vanes on the Python IV missiles - the little rectangular thingies behind the canards - are straight. They should be angled backwards.

P-4-Profile.png

Both are awfully minor concerns, though.

Crew names on the decal sheet? Yeah... pretty funky. I wonder if the person doing the decal sheet didn't read English; I know when I've done decals in foreign languages, it's basically a matter of hunting through symbols in a font until I find the one that looks like the right one (I'm looking at you, Hindi!). Add a stylized font for the OrANG lettering, and Lt Col becomes Lt Coc? Wonder what the actual name they were aiming for was. Alternatively, it could just be a gibberish idea of what English names look like.

The bigger issue is that the colouring looks wrong. The eagle and Klimath Falls are accurately dark (Gunship grey?), but the tail number and Kingsley falls should be paler (Neutral grey?)

I could have easily missed it, but didn't see any LAU-128 missile rails? The weapons seem to be more geared towards an Israeli jet, but I didn't see any AIM-120s or AIM-9Xs for the USAF versions

The Kadena jet (ZZ) is a 67th FS jet, and I don't see the red tail bands on the decal sheet.

Mofo - I "think" the Klamath Falls codes are OK (always heard to tell in photos and even without applying), I think the ZZ code and serial should be a bit lighter

Crew names on the decal sheet? Yeah... pretty funky. I wonder if the person doing the decal sheet didn't read English; I know when I've done decals in foreign languages, it's basically a matter of hunting through symbols in a font until I find the one that looks like the right one (I'm looking at you, Hindi!). Add a stylized font for the OrANG lettering, and Lt Col becomes Lt Coc? Wonder what the actual name they were aiming for was. Alternatively, it could just be a gibberish idea of what English names look like.

The bigger issue is that the colouring looks wrong. The eagle and Klimath Falls are accurately dark (Gunship grey?), but the tail number and Kingsley falls should be paler (Neutral grey?)

The name they were aiming for was "Lt Col Curtis McLain", whose name was painted on 79-0076. This was an aircraft that was photographed fairly well, and it also happens to be done on Caracal Models sheet CD48022. It looked like they assumed (perhaps not too unreasonably) nobody would notice or care , so they just made up a crew name plate. I will update my F-15 sheets with a small add-on sheet which will have accurate codes and nameplates for a 173FW F-15D; alternatively one can use the kit decals. I have no doubt Ssgt Jspes Mrelsns will be proud to see his jet modeled (and thank you for your service Ssgt. Mrelsns, wherever you may be).

Also note that for their eagle artwork is missing the dark edges of the bird's talons; that would be a pretty noticable omission. Jspes, you really need to talk to the corrosion control folks about this.

And you're right about the colors: the gray colors used for the darker sections of the eagle and the tail codes are FS36081 and FS36118; which are certainly different enough to be noticed.

http://caracalmodels.com/images/yo_jspes.jpg

Edited by KursadA

I'd be more inclined to chalk it up to a language issue than anything nefarious. Still hilariously wrong, still completely unacceptable on a model kit that's going to be sold around the world, and primarily in countries that *will* notice how wrong it is... but like I said, after doing some Hindi (or even worse, Chinese) language decals, I can certainly empathize with a decal designer who doesn't speak the language trying to pick out letters that *look* like whatever shapes the references show.

'Cause you've got to think, if they were really just phoning it in, they'd at least make up some reasonable, American-sounding names.

Although it does make me wonder, what hilarity awaits in the rest of the decals. The stencils might make for some entertaining reading. Or the stuff in Hebrew.

To me it looks like the engine humps are roughly shaped like V on real thing, and in between them there is upside down V. On the kit however the shape of the humps is different creating Y like area in between.

I know if you were to lay in between the humps it was a perfect fit and contour for my (at the time) physically fit, 6' body, very comfortable in fact.

I use to rest my head just aft of the fairing and have my combat boots rest nicely in between the humps.