Not only the goal. Bosnia did a fatal move giving him liberty to play in the second half. Argentina didn't score a bigger difference purely by its own mistakes at the final kick and not for any Bosnian qualities. Must not be forgotten the easily defensible goal the argentinian goalkeeper accepted.

My take on it is entirely different.

Bosnia made a big mistake early on that ended up costing them. But they also did an excellent job of keeping Messi bottled up through the first half. They did err in letting him get open enough to score, but the goal itself was a lucky goal - yes, it was a gorgeous strike, but two millimetres the other way and that ball would've been bouncing out, not in. And the Bosnian goal was equally lucky. But the Bosnians played a fairly strong game defensively.

So my conclusion is: the Argies are still going to win it all, but they need to play better than they did in this game. And I'm more certain than before that the Bosnians will finish second in the group and advance.

The only mistake made was Argentina playing a 2-3-5 to start the game. All first half their attacking players had no support. They would find a teammate to do a passing combination with and then the whole attack would be finished (2 vs. 4 or 5). You have Messi, accept you will have to take some chances of not having enough defense and support him. Once they went to a 2-4-4, they clicked much better and Messi got into the game.

And one is just as lucky to hit the post and then net vs. to hit just net. Players move so fast. How many goals have gone through or next to a defensive player so far. A right footed strike hitting the same part of the post might have spun out... it just is what it is. The lucky goal was Bosnia's. Their goal came completely against the run of play. Bosnia had made substitutions and still had not grip of the game. One lucky shot sneaking through the keepers leg (after a great run) and they regained their form and confidence. I can easily see Bosnia coming out of this group 2nd.

I'm just a casual US fan which means I typically only watch a few games / year. I've caught a few Premier League games and have watched 3 World Cup contests so far. Loving the World Cup games but it seems to me that the "diving" has been taken to a new level this time around. Too me, it's really starting to take away from the game. After pretty much any contact, the player will drop, grab a leg, start screaming and look to see if the ref is going to call it. Either way, a few seconds later, the player is back on his feet running down the field without a care in the world.

Any chance they could add an "Embellishing" penalty to try to rein in this silly behavior? If not, I fear that during the next cup, players are going to be hiding Hollywood special effects blood packets in their uniforms and will be spraying themselves with fake blood after each hit. Maybe slide on a fake fractured bone replica to accentuate the grievousness of the injury?

Silly behavior and I wish someone would put a stop to it.

The referee should red card anyone he thinks is diving. I agree absolutely about the rolling about on the ground, I played football(soccer) at school and took harder hits than these guys but I just got up and kept playing.

on the diving... yes and no. Getting kicked or cleated is no very pleasant. Shin guards only stop so much and only cover the front of your shins. Your foot, ankle, and 70 of your lower legs are open to punishment. Still they will almost always embellish

Yet even voetbal fans will shake their head at it. Still it is a part of the mental aspect of the game. Like holding on the O line, or traveling in the NBA, it happens. When in the box, it is really tough. Any foul in the box on an offensive player is a penalty... thus the pressure is really on both sides and the ref.

The referee should red card anyone he thinks is diving. I agree absolutely about the rolling about on the ground, I played football(soccer) at school and took harder hits than these guys but I just got up and kept playing.

^ Location: Scotland

Just wanted to say on all this, Liam Gallagher was right :lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/socceroos-you-are--gallagher/2006/10/19/1160851050654.html

I don't know why, but we just can't seem to get the hang of soccer over here, we lack that Euro/South American flair and the ability to slot those miraculous goals.

Oh well.....

Just wanted to say on all this, Liam Gallagher was right :lol:/>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/people/socceroos-you-are--gallagher/2006/10/19/1160851050654.html

I don't know why, but we just can't seem to get the hang of soccer over here, we lack that Euro/South American flair and the ability to slot those miraculous goals.

Oh well.....

Gallagher is a moron. :)

Like in so many other things, Australia has the same problem Canada has. In this case, small population along with men's soccer having for too long been a fringe thing. But you've got the Matildas who are great... and to make further difference: Australia *is* improving significantly, look at where Aussie soccer was 50 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago: steadily progressing.

I wouldn't despair! :)

Suarez needs to get a very, very long ban from football. Biting a player once is one thing, but to do it THREE times in your career? And that's not even mentioning his cheating in the last World Cup and calling another player a racist name...

Vince

What's that saying..rugby played by gentlemen... :whistle:/>/> blood and guts and glory ..(1:58)

Soccer /football tackles... Sheesh!!! They ain't seen nuthing yet :blink:/>/> :wacko:/>/>

There was an All Blacks game in the 1980's where a player took a boot to the groin and wound up with a torn scrotum. He was on the sideline only long enough to get everything put back in it's place, stitched up and plastered over then finished the game. I recall another AB who finished a game with an arm later revealed to be broken. When you are raised in that kind of sporting culture football players diving and pretending to be injured get even more ridiculous :) .

Edited by Mumbles

Suarez needs to get a very, very long ban from football. Biting a player once is one thing, but to do it THREE times in your career? And that's not even mentioning his cheating in the last World Cup and calling another player a racist name...

Vince

Although I'm really trying to understand WHY he did that, there are no rules for banning a player from football. And no Uruguay game is really an Uruguaian game without high doses of drama.

There was an All Blacks game in the 1980's where a player took a boot to the groin and wound up with a torn scrotum. He was on the sideline only long enough to get everything put back in it's place, stitched up and plastered over then finished the game. I recall another AB who finished a game with an arm later revealed to be broken. When you are raised in that kind of sporting culture football players diving and pretending to be injured get even more ridiculous :)/> .

Rugby and football were invented at almost the same time. Since then, any 3 year old kid can say wich one is more atractive

Although I'm really trying to understand WHY he did that, there are no rules for banning a player from football. And no Uruguay game is really an Uruguaian game without high doses of drama.

Ummm, there are rules to ban players - Suarez himself has been banned for a total of 25 games so far in his career;

November 2010: Given seven-match ban for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal on the shoulder while playing for Ajax.

December 2011: Given eight-match suspension and fined £40,000 for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

April 2013: Given ten-match ban after biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.

He should consider himself lucky. If I bit three people and racially abused another on the streets I'd be locked up, not told to take a few days off from my job (which pays me in the region of $17m a year).

Vince

Ummm, there are rules to ban players - Suarez himself has been banned for a total of 25 games so far in his career;

November 2010: Given seven-match ban for biting PSV Eindhoven's Otman Bakkal on the shoulder while playing for Ajax.

December 2011: Given eight-match suspension and fined £40,000 for racially abusing Manchester United's Patrice Evra.

April 2013: Given ten-match ban after biting Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic.

He should consider himself lucky. If I bit three people and racially abused another on the streets I'd be locked up, not told to take a few days off from my job (which pays me in the region of $17m a year).

Vince

Perhaps I should apologize. English is not my first language. I assumed banning a player meant never again playing professional football. Probably FIFA will suspend Suarez for something like 2 or 3 matches for bitting, something that means no more 2014 World Cup for him, no matter what Uruguay achieves.

Just to remember, with Suarez, Uruguay won Colombia for 2x0, without him (it was the last of the 4 matches he was suspended for the penalty in 2010 World Cup semifinals) Uruguay lost 4x0. He is THE best Uruguaian player.

Perhaps I should apologize. English is not my first language. I assumed banning a player meant never again playing professional football. Probably FIFA will suspend Suarez for something like 2 or 3 matches for bitting, something that means no more 2014 World Cup for him, no matter what Uruguay achieves.

Just to remember, with Suarez, Uruguay won Colombia for 2x0, without him (it was the last of the 4 matches he was suspended for the penalty in 2010 World Cup semifinals) Uruguay lost 4x0. He is THE best Uruguaian player.

No need to apologise :thumbsup:

He certainly should be banned from the rest of the World Cup, but the question will be how many more games will he miss? It might even affect his career at Liverpool. I've heard that already some of his personal sponsors are looking to pull out of their contracts with him.

Vince

Vince

I don't know I thought even ONCE was kind of weird. Then it happened again!! I was like "WTF?!"

Then I get a text ftom my brother yesterday at work and he says "Its time to reset your days since Saurez has bitten another grown-man calender" And I thought he was kidding until I saw the highlights. :jaw-dropping:

His hand ball in the Ghana game really ticked me off. :soapbox:

The only thing Suarez, and his like, pay attention to is when you hit them in the pocket.

Clubs/nations that make excuses (as they have done for Suarez) are too blame as well. Making out that they`re the victims of conspiracies rather than realising that an employee has let the whole team down is why said cretin re-offends. In the case of Suarez, both club and country have been critical of the response to his behaviour, rather than the actual act of biting and/or racism carried out by their player.

Suarez genuinely believes that the criticism he has got in England for his racism and biting is unfair, and nobody around him seems to be suggesting to the charming little cherub that he might be a little teensy-weensy bit in the wrong, simply because he`s good at kicking a bag of wind around a park.

Fair`s fair; if I get really good at goofy golf, do I get to punch a politician of my choice?

Ian :fight:/>/>

Edited by Ian Buick

I've heard the max ban is 24 months? This is a repeat offender, he should have the book dropped on him - full two year ban.

I am not sure of the exact rules and intersections of power, but you know they could do that. And he could still play professionally, which might make it attractive to FIFA they can look harsh without screwing him over because he can still play at his club (where the real money is to made) and be back in 4 years for his last WC.

If he gets banned it could be like last World Cup here is the pattern:

Suarez plays brilliant, Uruguay looks good.

Suarez does something intensely wrong that you are taught not to do from the time you are 5 (No biting, only goalie can use hand to block shot)

Team that is Suarez victim is eliminated.

Uruguay advances

Urugay goes nowhere without Suarez to play/cheat for them and is eliminated

Did I leave anything out?

Don't get me wrong I'm glad the ref didn't notice on the pitch or believe it and didn't send him off, I'm delighted to see Italy eliminated in the group stage again.

And no - I mean a 24 month /total/ ban - no football playing. Didn't they give Maradona a big ban like that too for drugs?

Don't get me wrong I'm glad the ref didn't notice on the pitch or believe it and didn't send him off, I'm delighted to see Italy eliminated in the group stage again.

And no - I mean a 24 month /total/ ban - no football playing. Didn't they give Maradona a big ban like that too for drugs?

Italy sucked big time anyway and they did deserve to be put away.

Now their forward is claiming ratial discrimination.....

Perhaps he ought to give his Ferraris away for the good of his oppressed brothers and sisters in Nigeria, think he is going to do that?

A moron is a moron any color he wears.

BTW, whatever your name is, I never wish any Nation to be eliminated from any tournament, if they can't play the game itself shall eventually take care of it.

Edited by hemspilot