Best 1/48 corsair?

For my money, Tamiya's F4U-1, 1A, & 1D, are the best of those variants by a very wide margin. Excellent cockpit, and exterior details. The decals while certainly useable, are on the thick side. Looking forward to trying the Hasegawa kits.

Joel

Don't overlook the old Otaki F4U-1A kit. Depending where you fall on the F4U flap debate, it has the advantage of having the flaps molded shut, which is how most are seen when parked. Not as detailed as Tamiya, but still pretty accurate overall.

One thing about the old Otake U-bird was the complete disaster they put in it to represent the engine.

But y'know, when you build it up and paint it, it really doesn't look like a "disaster" at all.

The overall airplane, yes, but the engine? EWWWW! Other than the very first Otaki Corsair I built, back before I had a decent spares box to draw from and aftermarket didn't exist (c. 1984ish maybe?), I replaced the engine in every one of them because what in the kit doesn't even resemble an R-2800...

And I've built quite a few Otaki Corsairs over the years, before Hobbycraft and Tamiya issued theirs.

In all seriousness, now that Tamiya is available, there isn't really any reason to look elsewhere for a -1 series Corsair unless one absolutely has to have the flaps up and one doesn't wish to purchase an aftermarket set. And even then, I'd seriously consider getting the Tamiya and fitting the Otaki wing to it.

What is odd, is that they put a more-or-less decent representation of the R-2800 in the Tbolt and Hellcat...

Edited by Joe Hegedus

"What is odd, is that they put a more-or-less decent representation of the R-2800 in the Tbolt and Hellcat...

This post has been edited by Joe Hegedus: Today, 12:45 PM"

I haven't tried their T-bolt , but recently got the Hellcat and it is pretty nice.

as for Ohtaki's Corsair cockpit--painting it flat black will hide most of the mistakes :)/>

Edited by PFlint

The Tbolt builds up into a decent P-47D-10 though D-21. The pylons are separate pieces so can be added or not as required. The cowl flaps aren't right for an earlier "D", and the prop isn't right for a D-22 or later razorback. If one swipes a HS 4-blade from another kit, a passable D-22 can be built. For a kit that can be found at swap meets for about $5 or so, it's worth picking up and building as a palette for markings.

But y'know, when you build it up and paint it, it really doesn't look like a "disaster" at all.

I'm with Joe H on that. I love doing radial engines, wiring most of them if I think it's going to be visible. The rest of the Otaki kit can be dealt with, the interior scratch built (A fairly easy chore), but the engine must be replaced. For what it;s worth, I think the Otaki is great to get a guy started in plastic modeler, and that's where it ends. My considered opinion, having built several back in the pre-Tamiya F4U days.

Thanks for all the replies they have helped. I got the Tamiya F4U-1/2 and -1D on the way. Thought about getting seat belts as well but I have a loot at the kit first and see if they are needed or if a seat replacement is needed.

I'm pretty sure that the Tamiya kits use decals for their seatbelts and harnesses.

Joel

You're getting the best 1/48 F4Us out there, IMO. While I've seen some beautifully done Hasegawa F4U-5s, the one I had fought me all the way. The really nice cockpit was offset by the major problems I had with the forward fuselage.

The issue (with photos) can be seen here:

http://s20.photobucket.com/user/DDonSS3/library/Built%20Models/Hasegawa%20F4U-5N

Big step at nose, and this occurred on both sides:

LLower.jpg

Cowl didn't want to fit right to the fuselage:

CowlAttachmentR.jpg

Pretty serious step at the upper cowl/fuselage seam:

CowlUpperR.jpg

The cockpit was pretty nice, though:

Cockpit.jpg

100_1567.jpg

Now I've never seen anyone else mention these problems, so maybe my kit was warped or something and I just couldn't see it.

Don,

I haven't purchased this kit yet, but after looking at your pictures, I decided to do a Google search and read a few reviews. As usual, one loved the kit, no build issues, while the other two had similar issues as you described, but not to that extend. The use of sheet plastic to widen the fuselage seemed to solve a lot of those issues. All agreed that Hasegawa's offering in no where done to the same standards as the Tamiya kits. Still, I'm going to be purchasing one for my ever growing Corsair collection.

Joel

I agree on the 1/48 Hasegawa F4U-5N as a great kit. I built mine with no problems, the only thing I did replace was the cockpit. I used Wolfpacks resin, the detail and quality is way better then the kit one. The seam on the cowling was sanded off. Here is a pic of it. Rob

100_2796_zpsb85b2529.jpg

Other than some managable fit issues, the only other issue I can think of with the Hasegawa kit is a mold line in the forward fuselage. I've built about a half dozen over the years and some are worse than others, and all can be sanded down and maybe a bit of rescribing to clean up.

OTOH, the Tamiya kits have no vices. And it's not a stretch to fit the flaps up.

Ken

I've built a couple

Standard is still set by the Tamiya for the early birds and the Hase for the later ones. The HobbyBoss one is not worth the money. The only issues with each are

Tamiya - the join in front of the cockpit to the nose - some of these are hard to join up with out a step or gap - take your time here and it will be worth it. Also - the wing joins can be off too - my solution there is to join the wing uppers together and then the wing lowers... and then join the top and bottom. Makes for a much more solid and gap free build

Hase - the "step" near the cowl - a real pain. I rescribe the proper lines and rivets, then sand down the step. Then clean it up. Also - the wing bottom to the front cowl usually needs a spacer to have a clean join.

That's about it! Both are great kits so enjoy!