F-111E armament options

Which weapons were cleared for the F-111E wing pylons? The 1:48 Academy kit only comes with dumb bombs and what looks like a multiple ejector rack. Am I stuck with that? Any timeframe will do; I just want to know if I can substitute it.

Thanks!

Aaron

When i was stationed at at CFB Baden in then West Germany, we had a War Task Assignment to load other NATO a/c and i got to load the F-104G and the F-111 for which we put a total of 20 Mk-82SE on them. 6 on each BRU on both sides and slant 4 on the i/b pylon BRUs.

Jari

Just hang a whole lotta bombs and you're good to go, or some really big Paveway GBU's :D/> B)/>

F-111E's didn't use Paveway GBU's.....LDGP bombs and CBU were most common...

Although i do have some Gulf War F-111E pics taken at Incirlik,Turkey carrying live 500lb GBU-12's...plan was to have the 3TFW Pavetack equipped F-4E's lase the target for them...but the ceasefire was declared before any sorties were flown.

F-111.net makes a good start on what could have been carried but its by no means an exhaustive list, it is however a good list going on what is most likely to be carried at that time.

The F-111E was tested to carry almost the entire USAF inventory of stores, its weapons computer also carried delivery profiles for them even though it never carried half of what it knew how to drop. All of the Paveway I, II, III smart bombs were cleared, a lot of the electro optical bombs too (GBU-8, GBU-15 etc) but it couldnt guide them.

If you are going with 078 from the kit then you are not limited by the kit weapons, from memory it has Mk82 LDGP, 600gal tanks (which are best put into the spares box as they are way to small) and Sidewinders.

Forget the sidewinders, the only one I know that carried them on a regular basis was the D.

The Mk82 LDGP (slant 4 or 6) option was common place on the E model, AIR and SnakeEye were also much used, which is a given considering the delivery profile the E prefered.

Its hard to know what to say in answer to your question as on the one hand it had extensive weapons testing but on the other it saw only limited actual use in a limited theatre of operations, so if youre wanting to keep it real then you are limited but if you are not and just want to model what was possible then the sky is the limit on the E

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'll just find some better looking slicks than what comes in the kit. I'm thinking either slant 4 or full BRUs.

Thanks!

Aaron

Good luck with your kit. The E-model was always my favorite, not sure why. Probably because the F seemed to get all the publicity. Put up some pics once your build is underway!

1459687152[/url]' post='2792110']

Good luck with your kit. The E-model was always my favorite, not sure why. Probably because the F seemed to get all the publicity. Put up some pics once your build is underway!

I'll try! Posting pics isn't always easy, but I do like sharing.

Aaron

I was at a Red Flag in January 1988 and saw at least two Heyford F-111Es carrying Captive AIM-9Ps:

http://f16crewchief.deviantart.com/art/Upper-Heyford-F-111E-No-1-589365945 and

http://f16crewchief.deviantart.com/art/F-111E-149984742

F-111.net makes a good start on what could have been carried but its by no means an exhaustive list, it is however a good list going on what is most likely to be carried at that time.

The F-111E was tested to carry almost the entire USAF inventory of stores, its weapons computer also carried delivery profiles for them even though it never carried half of what it knew how to drop. All of the Paveway I, II, III smart bombs were cleared, a lot of the electro optical bombs too (GBU-8, GBU-15 etc) but it couldnt guide them.

If you are going with 078 from the kit then you are not limited by the kit weapons, from memory it has Mk82 LDGP, 600gal tanks (which are best put into the spares box as they are way to small) and Sidewinders.

Forget the sidewinders, the only one I know that carried them on a regular basis was the D.

The Mk82 LDGP (slant 4 or 6) option was common place on the E model, AIR and SnakeEye were also much used, which is a given considering the delivery profile the E prefered.

Its hard to know what to say in answer to your question as on the one hand it had extensive weapons testing but on the other it saw only limited actual use in a limited theatre of operations, so if youre wanting to keep it real then you are limited but if you are not and just want to model what was possible then the sky is the limit on the E

I was at a Red Flag in January 1988 and saw at least two Heyford F-111Es carrying Captive AIM-9Ps:

http://f16crewchief....-No-1-589365945 and

http://f16crewchief....-111E-149984742

Sorry I should have made what I said more clear.

An AIM-9P on station 3a/6a was common place, however an AIM-9L/M parent mounted to station 3/6 was rather less common.

3a/6a mounting was limited by the parent mounted stores, a GBU-15 of any kind precluded the use of 3a/6a while a GBU-12 allowed it, as did a fuel tank.

When I get more time Ill come up with a list of allowed stores options if you guys are interested.

3a/6a mounting was limited by the parent mounted stores, a GBU-15 of any kind precluded the use of 3a/6a while a GBU-12 allowed it, as did a fuel tank.

The problem on 3A/6A for AIM-9L/M missiles was a fit issue. IIRC there was only about 1/8" clearance between the bottom of the aircraft wing and the top of the wing of the 2nd generation Sidewinders (D/G/H/L/M/R/S) that had a greater wingspan than the 1st generation missiles (A-B-E-J-N-P). Whatever the number was, it wasn't enough, so the only way the F-111 could carry a 2nd generation AIM-9 was by parent-mounting the launcher to the bottom of the (usually) inboard stations 4/5 (this wasn't done during Desert Storm). The RAAF experimented with an extended/angled pylon to overcome this limitation, but I think it caused a vibration problem and wasn't adopted. Not positive about that and would be happily corrected by someone from Oz who knows more.

Even though they were rarely (if ever really) used operational, I'd *love* to do a full load of durandals on the E model I'm building... sadly Durandals in 1/48 are extremely hard to come by, especially in large numbers.