1/48 Hasegawa F-4C/D Phantom II "Bicentennial"

I have long had an interest in Bicentennial models, and an interest in the F-4 phantom II. Even when I was pretty dormant in the hobby, I was always on the lookout for cool phantom kits. So back in the slowest part of my modeling career in 2008/2009 I found this kit at Sprue Brothers and had to have it.

IMGP8177-vi.jpg

Since then, the Academy F-4C/D has been released and I figure if I wanted to build a C/D I would use the new Academy kit. This poor kit languished in my stash, but now I have the perfect reason to build it. I am slogging through painting the white parts, and the cockpit parts.

Here is a start at the cockpit, a tricky task for me, but I am getting better at it each model I build

IMGP8187-vi.jpg

and the Instrument panels

IMGP8188-vi.jpg

It is very humid here in VA so paint is taking days to dry, so I figured I would get a jump on structural assembly, so I glued together the wing

IMGP8191-vi.jpg

And the fuel tanks, but I forgot to take a picture of them.

Hopefully tomorrow I can continue with the cockpit

Edited by Neo

I finished the cockpit

IMGP8197-vi.jpg

notice the ejection handles on the top of the rear seat are different. I think they are from the testors kit, one of the rings broke off, and I could not find it so I used a seat top from my spares box.

The cockpit and the nose gear well mounted easily in the fuselage half, with good positive locators.

IMGP8201-vi.jpg

So I figured it was time to seal the fuselage

IMGP8202-vi.jpg

next up mating the wings and intake

It has been a few days since I have had time to work on this one, I moved from 2nd shift to 3rd shift at work so in addition to working different hours, getting used to a whole new daily routine has been a bit of a challenge. but I am in a groove now so let us pick up the build...

Here is the wing, after 1 round of putty & sand. I know there is a panel line here, but it was pretty gnarly so I had to fill it in.

IMGP8203-vi.jpg

I assembled the intakes and was about to install them when I realized I forgot to do something with the intake area on the fuselage, so a swipes with some tamiya flat black fixed that issue

IMGP8204-vi.jpg

With a little fiddling the intakes went on leaving the least amount of putty / sand needed

IMGP8205-vi.jpg

And while I was at it I attached the wing

IMGP8206-vi.jpg

We almost have a phantom!

I had to have a "saftey stand down" this week as my work bench and the whole room was getting to the point it was so messy even I was bothered. I lost some bech time, but it was worth it to be able to have more space to work

Any way. as we revisit the phantom, I have since done one round of putty & sand and it is looking good so far

IMGP8211-vi.jpg

IMGP8212-vi.jpg

IMGP8213-vi.jpg

I realize I still needed to add the blanking plates for the area where the catapult bridles go on a naval model, the AC vents, and the fairing at the rear of the cockpit. Those parts were added, and It was time to remove the hump on the wing, I think this is for reinforcements for the landing gear on J or S models.

I taped off the area and got out the destroyer grade sanding stick

IMGP8214-vi.jpg

The tape ended up being a bit of a hinderance, I kept getting shred of tape on the sanding stick, so the other wing I just proceeded slowly and carefully and there was not too much extra damage

IMGP8217-vi.jpg

Still more sanding to do, but I am pleased so far.

Putty and sand continues, much most of it is finished. I found a few more spots which needed a fresh application

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rtwbdtqrqtdfgrwxdwgqgdggqfbw,vi/bsgbrssfgxbrqggwgwsxbsgrftrgk/1/910521/14007612/IMGP8224-vi.jpg

IMGP8225-vi.jpg

I made a mess of the IR seeker .. the kit depicts a much later F-4C/D with a modified IR seeker, which the instructions indicate to cut away. I was a bit clumsly, and it required more sanding/filling. Any way this nice gash was full of sanding sludge , and I did not notice until I cleaned it off. I have since added more putty and will sand it later

IMGP8226-vi.jpg

If I am lucky, primer and paint soon.

I finished shaping and sanding, and went on to "finish" sanding down to 600 grit.

IMGP8239-vi.jpg

I washed the model and it is in my dish rack drying.

while the airframe was unavailable, I decided to mask the canopies, so I can work on fitting those in place.

IMGP8244-vi.jpg

I find this is one of the more challenging tasks, the consequences for messing up a prominent part are harsh, it can make an otherwise great model look like doo doo

in our next episode, Fitting the canopy and on to primer

Edited by Kurt H.

I had time to primer this model today. Primer gives you a chance to notice issues before it is too late to fix.

Any way, primer did reveal a few problems

despite my best efforts, the canopies are not quite right

IMGP8253-vi.jpg

IMGP8254-vi.jpg

Why does hasegawa only supply the one piece canopy with only a few of the phantom variants???? why is there not a vac 1 piece canopy available? :bandhead2:

then one other booger....

This pylon is not quite flush

IMGP8257-vi.jpg

I wonder how hard this would be to fix, I used CA to attach it, I wonder if I will make more of a mess than leaving it.

Oh well, I have time to think it over, since it is august in northern VA we have 400% humidity and this primer will not dry anytime soon.

till next time ....

I've had trouble with the pylons too - usually because the locating pins are too big for the holes in the wing. Try reducing the diameter of the pins, alternativelly remove them completelly.

I removed the canopies, and trimmed and sanded where needed to tweak the fit. I glued them back on with testors clear parts cement. Once it sets, it does hold fairly well

Here we are after sanding. No putty was required

IMGP8258-vi.jpg

IMGP8259-vi.jpg

I am determined to have proper fitted canopies on this F-4. I am too embarrassed to show my other phantoms due to the mess I made of the canopies.

Time to stop for a bit, I am all out of my beloved mr. surfacer 1500, but more is on the way.

Edited by Kurt H.
  • 3 weeks later...

In the past week I re-primed and was able to start painting

here is the camo gray applied to the belly

IMGP8284-vi.jpg

and the tail has been painted white

IMGP8285-vi.jpg

the white seems to still be ever so tacky, and since I will need to mask it to paint the camo, I am holding off for now.

• 1 month later...

Picking up where we left off, I used silly putty and tape to mask the areas to remain tan

IMGP8291-vi.jpg

And painted the light green. Since the MM 34102 is bright out of the bottle, and almost fluorescent I mixed in a little of the tan to to tone it down

IMGP8293-vi.jpg 

And more silly and putty and tape

IMGP8298-vi.jpg

and after the fs34079 and a few rounds of touch up, where I lost my mind trying to achieve  a good consistent line with different pressures and paint thickness and needles and airbrushes....

IMGP8303-vi.jpg

next up is the dreaded masking of the natural metal area :crying:

Edited by Kurt H.

The natural metal area was not as bad to mask as previous phantoms I have built. I guess I have just gotten accustomed to it

IMGP8304-vi.jpg

Next I primered it with Alclad black primer

IMGP8306-vi.jpg

and finally the base for heat staining "dark aluminum" Alclad II

IMGP8308-vi.jpg

The first color I tried was "airframe aluminum" but it was almost a chrome finish, so I looked around and found the dark aluminum which was more what I had in mind. I tried masking and going for more shades immediately, but it lifted the alclad so I am letting it dry for a few days.

Edited by Kurt H.