Regulus, Snark etc.

I bought the AMT (Lindberg?) Snark and the 1/56 Bomarc kit from Amazon. Much to my surprise the Snark is a very big airframe. Not sure I can make a Cartograf-printed Snark decal sheet to work, but I will do more planning on this early next year.

5 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I bought the AMT (Lindberg?) Snark and the 1/56 Bomarc kit from Amazon. Much to my surprise the Snark is a very big airframe. Not sure I can make a Cartograf-printed Snark decal sheet to work, but I will do more planning on this early next year.

Kursad, I believe operational markings would fit, and if I recall there are no operational schemes available, they’re all the red test schemes with red stripes. 

it is a huge kit! 

4 hours ago, KursadA said:

My two cents, and with respect to others here who may have different views: I would be much more likely to buy a decal sheet largely full of unique artwork that I can't source elsewhere or easily paint. I presumed you'd want to do decals for the 1/48 Lindberg/AMT Snark kit because at present it's available in large numbers. However, for me, it's not that big a deal to paint the model white, mask the white stripes (they're all just straight lines), and paint it with red. If a bunch of large, white shapes is going to eat up all the real estate on a decal sheet, I'd vote to omit them in favor of other artwork for a broader array of missile kits. There are plenty of sources for generic national insignia, US AIR FORCE, USAF, and stripe decals already. To be honest, for the operational Snark in the photograph above, I could easily source all markings with decals already in my drawer. (I would need to use my out-of-stock Caracal Basics 48008 SAC badges decal; maybe reprint that or just include the SAC badge artwork in a couple of sizes on a new cruise missile decal sheet.)

On the other hand, I can't easily paint or source the unique nose artwork (nor "NAVY" on the Regulus) on missiles like these: 

Missiles & Rockets

Chance Vought SSM-N-9/RGM-15 Regulus II | Secret Projects ForumSM-62 Snark cruise missile on Pennsylvania Avenue during inaugural parade of Dwight D ...Le Chance Vought SSM-N-9 Regulus IIImage result for regulus missile armySnark Missile on Display in Toronto, 1958 : r/pics 

I'd welcome a decal sheet with just selected artwork for many kits such as the Snark nose art examples above sized for both the Lindberg and Revell kit, maybe even Monogram. Regulus decals could be sized for Revell and maybe even also Aurora. Perhaps the decal instructions could include suggestions for painting or sourcing elsewhere (Caracal Basics?) the remaining markings. I'd rather see this than a whole sheet filled with (for example) complete decals for just one or two 1/48 Snark models. 

I think David is onto something here.  I agree that I could easily create operational markings for a 1/48 Snark from my spares box. The red/white test markings right out of the box are sufficient, but specialized "Northrop SM-62 SNARK", 702nd Wing badge, etc..  would be really cool. The Regulus II may be the exception by requiring the additional split NAVY titling. 

Kursad, I encourage you to deviate from your normal practice of complete subjects on a sheet. Create a sheet of partial but special and unique markings for a large group of missiles to fit the various kits in the different scales. I doubt many of us have a complete collection of every missile kit by every manufacturer in every scale, but enough of us are willing to purchase a sheet with the special markings for one, two, three or more missiles in our respective stashes. It might even spur further kit sales. 

Kind regards,  Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
Correct grammar.
8 hours ago, Dutch said:

I think David is onto something here.  I agree that I could easily create operational markings for a 1/48 Snark from my spares box. The red/white test markings right out of the box are sufficient, but specialized "Northrop SM-62 SNARK" etc..  would be really cool. 

Kursad, by deviating from your normal practice of complete subjects on a sheet, create a sheet of partial but special and unique markings for a large group of missiles to fit the various kits in the different scales. I doubt many of us have a complete collection of every missile kit by every manufacturer in every scale, but enough of us are willing to purchase a sheet with the special markings for one, two, three or more missiles in our respective stashes. It might even spur further kit sales. 

Kind regards,  Dutch 

What Dutch said!    

Agree with David on the white stripe decals. Painting them would work better and truth be told, I picked up one of the latest boxings of the Lindberg Snark kit, and the decals were pretty nice, stripes included. I opted for an operational scheme on mine and had to make my own 702nd Missile Wing badge for the only operational unit out of Presque Isle AFB, Maine....would have been great having one that was professionally made.

Edited by 82Whitey51
On 12/23/2023 at 11:16 AM, Paul Boyer said:

If you can find enough alternate markings for Bomarcs, you can make them in 1/72 scale:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SVM-72060?result-token=gGMTQ

Wow, I didn't see this coming.   A buddy of mine started out in the Air Force working on Bomarcs.   I'll have to pass this along to him.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 3 weeks later...

An F-94B was also modified with a BOMARC nose as a test vehicle for the guidance.  Redesignated an NF-94B, I have an Anscochrome slide of it in my collection which is deteriorated badly.  But you get the idea. 

f94test001.jpg

Rick L.

Sova-M also offers a 1/72 CIM-10A Bomarc kit with launcher rail. Currently available at Hannants for ~$36. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SVM-72060?result-token=JMo9H&currency_id=2

Mike, to answer your question about Sova-M decals, I have several A-Model kits and a couple of Sova-M kits. Plastic is the same. Extra resin and PE parts in Sova-M is very nice. Sova-M decals are much better than the make-believe decals in A-Model kits, but definitely not Caracal standard.

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch

Now that I think about it, the B-57E is most probably the A-Model 1/144 B-57B/C kit with extra nose piece and different decals.  The CIM-10A is most likely the 1/72 scale SOVA-M kit.  So, Kursad, you can cancel my request for the 1/144 BOMARC decals.  1/72 BOMARC decals would be nice, though!  Oh!  And please scale your B-57 sheet down to 1/72 and 1/144 scales as well.  The A-Model decals really are not worth anything.

K/r,

Dutch

SVM-14013.JPG.e5a5614363a6a0a79c7818e98e6b561e.JPG

AM_1432.JPG.644f0391327ce503499bd2513ab7b991.JPG

SVM-72060.thumb.JPG.7088adb16bbe8aad718f543583943792.JPG

Edited by Dutch
add photos
  • 2 months later...

Since both my Revell 1/81 SNARK and my Lindberg 1/48 SNARK will be built as RSM-62 Strategic Reconnaissance variants, I doubt anybody will EVER do aftermarket decals for them. I will just try to cobble something together from my "spare decals" stash.

Larry

2 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

Since both my Revell 1/81 SNARK and my Lindberg 1/48 SNARK will be built as RSM-62 Strategic Reconnaissance variants, I doubt anybody will EVER do aftermarket decals for them. I will just try to cobble something together from my "spare decals" stash.

Larry

RSM-62 Strat Recon Snark?  😕

2 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

RSM-62 Strat Recon Snark?  😕

Yes, the Northrop RSM-62 (Reconnaissance Strategic Missile) Snark was designed for "high altitude reconnaissance over large areas of enemy territory".  

The info I have collected over the years is as follows:

1. A copy of the Standard Missile Characteristics for the Northrop RSM-62 SNARK. It's a 5 page "fact sheet" , similar to the Standard Aircraft Characteristics done for "normal" US military aircraft many years ago.

I can't remember where I downloaded the PDF from. Also, the representations of the camera equipment is much different that the later cutaway drawing I have, which shows 6 large format cameras in the nose. There are 3 short focal length lens cameras in the nose just behind the nose Radar. Farther back, there is another TriMetrogon setup with 3 cameras with much longer lenses. This setup differs from the camera setup in the Standard Missile Characteristics pub. I have found, based on my USAF career as a Photo Sensor Technician, that the aircraft camera drawings in the SACs are usually preliminary "ideas", and not what the final sensor fitting turned out to be.

I do not use any photo hosting site, so I can't post the original images online, but I can send you copies of the pages if you are interested. Just PM me with your email address.

Larry Engesath

USAF Photo Sensor Technician (Retired)

Snark Cameras.jpg

On 12/17/2023 at 3:54 PM, David Fifer said:

My two cents, and with respect to others here who may have different views: I would be much more likely to buy a decal sheet largely full of unique artwork that I can't source elsewhere or easily paint. I presumed you'd want to do decals for the 1/48 Lindberg/AMT Snark kit because at present it's available in large numbers. However, for me, it's not that big a deal to paint the model white, mask the white stripes (they're all just straight lines), and paint it with red. If a bunch of large, white shapes is going to eat up all the real estate on a decal sheet, I'd vote to omit them in favor of other artwork for a broader array of missile kits. There are plenty of sources for generic national insignia, US AIR FORCE, USAF, and stripe decals already. To be honest, for the operational Snark in the photograph above, I could easily source all markings with decals already in my drawer. (I would need to use my out-of-stock Caracal Basics 48008 SAC badges decal; maybe reprint that or just include the SAC badge artwork in a couple of sizes on a new cruise missile decal sheet.)

On the other hand, I can't easily paint or source the unique nose artwork (nor "NAVY" on the Regulus) on missiles like these: 

Missiles & Rockets

Chance Vought SSM-N-9/RGM-15 Regulus II | Secret Projects ForumSM-62 Snark cruise missile on Pennsylvania Avenue during inaugural parade of Dwight D ...Le Chance Vought SSM-N-9 Regulus IIImage result for regulus missile armySnark Missile on Display in Toronto, 1958 : r/pics 

I'd welcome a decal sheet with just selected artwork for many kits such as the Snark nose art examples above sized for both the Lindberg and Revell kit, maybe even Monogram. Regulus decals could be sized for Revell and maybe even also Aurora. Perhaps the decal instructions could include suggestions for painting or sourcing elsewhere (Caracal Basics?) the remaining markings. I'd rather see this than a whole sheet filled with (for example) complete decals for just one or two 1/48 Snark models. 

I would welcome new decals for the Revell/Renwal 1/32 Mace kit (both transport vehicle & missile).

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA 70739