2 hours ago, Aigore said:

Hmm...I may have found a way to do the intakes...

I will try this weekend to see if my thinking holds water....or paint :P

Janne,

If anyone can find a better way, it's you.

Joel

Oki here goes!

First a quick look at my side project, soon finished...just decals and final assembly left to do.

IMG_3787_zpsj3a26s7a.jpg

The intake lips...

Well I first thought of the conventional masking, the same as I did on the outside...but it was friggin impossible to get a thin strip of tape straight in there!
after 2 weeks of colorful expressins I gave up and was about to brush paint it when it hit me...why do I mask for the color to be painted when it is often simpler 
to mask off the paint already painted?!

IMG_3788_zpsm45mszxu.jpg

Said and done!

I cut a couple of plastic foam inserts into shape...

IMG_3789_zpsbczuw8cy.jpg

MAsked the splitter plate and around the intakes.

IMG_3790_zps6umbdohf.jpg

popped in the inserts...

IMG_3791_zpsedjbd0m2.jpg

Shot Alcad flat black primer...

IMG_3792_zpshoxqtfv5.jpg

Pressed in the inserts further in...you see the ruggend edge, not pretty but I´m not leaving it at that.

IMG_3793_zpscoheo66k.jpg

I nthen removed the mask from the splitter plate.

IMG_3794_zpswgfdnsp8.jpg

Then I masked off the black with a thicker piece of masking tape....sooo much easier to mask from the outside in.

IMG_3795_zpsvaoo2qhq.jpg

Used some tack-it to mask the edge of the intake..

IMG_3796_zpsjzbcjso6.jpg

Then I shot Alclad white primer (it covers something fierce) and some gloss white on top of that.

IMG_3797_zpsdbv78zqo.jpg

And unmasked it....yep I´m pleased! I managed to pull some paint with the tape but that was easily remedied with a brush and black paint.

IMG_3798_zpsvmgxpiyf.jpg

OK, time for an overview...

I need to mask and paint the exhausts...should be fairly easy, paint the red fuel dump nozzle and then go over the model to see if there is
need for any bettering painting and then it´s time to gloss coat and decals :D

IMG_3799_zpslrurttc4.jpg

Cheers!

15 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

Impressive procedure for sure, and it worked perfectly. Hard to believe that decaling is finally just around the corner.

Joel

Suddenly it happens :D

Nice progresse my friend!

Sorry,I don't want be cocky,but this is the modt simple way to paint the air intake..I mean,this is waht I abitually do on my build.

I think sometimes our mind start to trip for inventing the way to solve a problem ignoring the simplest one,this happened to me more often than not!

For ex. in my currently MiG-21 build,I'd proceded slowly to solve the fit problem of the various pit parts,only discovering that some thin strip of plasticard was all I needed....

Now my firend is time for the decals,Ican't wait!!!!!:thumbsup:

Gianni

30 minutes ago, kurnass77 said:

Nice progresse my friend!

Sorry,I don't want be cocky,but this is the modt simple way to paint the air intake..I mean,this is waht I abitually do on my build.

I think sometimes our mind start to trip for inventing the way to solve a problem ignoring the simplest one,this happened to me more often than not!

For ex. in my currently MiG-21 build,I'd proceded slowly to solve the fit problem of the various pit parts,only discovering that some thin strip of plasticard was all I needed....

Now my firend is time for the decals,Ican't wait!!!!!:thumbsup:

Gianni

LoL, thanks my friend. No I don't think you are cocky, and it is the simplest way...I just got to rigid and didn't see the simple sollution. :D

7 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Cool technique, thanks for sharing!  : )

7 hours ago, kike said:

Good Job Janne! all the hard work is paying off!

Thanx guys :D

Hope it'll look ok in the end :D

1 minute ago, The Madhatter said:

ha! That's brilliant!! Never would have thought to use that at all in the way you have. I'll have to remember to keep it next time I buy an Aires product

Beggars can't be choosers, use what you find for what you need...

I mask intakes, wheel wells and exhausts with it

Things are moving along...

I started todays session with the IFR probe, it´s resin from quickboost and I want it to stick to the model :P
I drilled out a little hole.

IMG_3800_zpszf7edzsa.jpg

and put a piece of piano wire in there...

IMG_3801_zpsegmrjan6.jpg

Drilled a corresponding hole in the nose infront of the windscreen...

IMG_3802_zpsmiz8api6.jpg

a little dry fit....looks alright.

IMG_3803_zpsqweuvbzv.jpg

Tehn I masked and painted the engine nozzles in alclad gloss black.

IMG_3804_zpsob0eulhi.jpg

Then I shot Aiframe aluminium for that nice shine and some shadows with Alclad steel

IMG_3805_zpsinytkwc0.jpg

Painted the tip of the IFR probe in Alclad steel and a drybrush with vallejo chrome.

IMG_3807_zpshf3yhavp.jpg

Glued on the flaps and spoilers....and it´s pretty much ready for a gloss coat :D

Tho I nthink the red inside the spoilers shine through a bit...I´ll ponder on that.

IMG_3808_zpsyhbyr7hq.jpg

IMG_3809_zpsbccwztn3.jpg

Cheers!

Did you do extra work on that IFR probe besides painting or did it come that clean and detailed? Any trick to to lining up your holes or did you just eyeball it? And final question, any extra for the attachment points for the flaps or is kit surface area sufficient for a strong joint?

Beautiful work as always, so close to done.

Dave

1 hour ago, janman said:

Thorough work with the probe. No doubt will stay on better that way.

As you said, the red is quite bright. But that is easily taken care of. 

Great work! 

Thanx Janman,

I have a vivid color setting on the camera so the red comes off brighter than it really is so no worries there but it seems to shine through the thin spoilers making the white upper side have a red tint :P

29 minutes ago, parche said:

Did you do extra work on that IFR probe besides painting or did it come that clean and detailed? Any trick to to lining up your holes or did you just eyeball it? And final question, any extra for the attachment points for the flaps or is kit surface area sufficient for a strong joint?

Beautiful work as always, so close to done.

Dave

Thanx Dave :D

It came attached to a casting block I freed it and sanded a bit other than that no extra work on the probe.

I liked up the holes by pressing the probe with the piano wire attahed to the surface hard enough to make a little mark, I then used an awl to make a good spot for the drill to grip :D

The flaps actuators fits into hole in the wings and I feel the joints are strong enough :)

Jane,

The IFR probe attachment method really works well. I use it all the time.  The flaps and spoilers really makes a huge difference in just how far you've taken this build.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it's decals on.

Joel

22 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Jane,

The IFR probe attachment method really works well. I use it all the time.  The flaps and spoilers really makes a huge difference in just how far you've taken this build.  I'm really looking forward to seeing it's decals on.

Joel

Thanx Joel....me too :D