CD144027 - 1/144 SAC B-52A/F

Folks, do you think you can help me with a good photo showing the exact outline of the B-52 inflight refueling door and cockpit overhead windows?

Perhaps a photo taken straight from the top (aerial refueling photos are almost always taken from the tanker, and have an angle very difficult to correct) - I remember finding a photo showing the front fuselage section at an Arizona boneyard that was rolled to the side for the perfect angle, but I can not find it now.  Maybe something like this, but showing a fuselage in better shape.

Edited by KursadA

Kursad, is this what you are looking for? Another sectioned BUFF from my 7th October 1994 AMARC tour. I did catch this chopped up B-52D forward fuselage however I was not able to identify her. The tail fin behind her cockpit belongs to 55-0087. Michael.

B-52DhulkAMARC94MB.jpg

Thanks, these are really helpful! In most of these photos the small overhead windows are obscured by the sprayed latex, but I can make out the outline of the receptacle door. I was hoping to see the exact outlines of the overhead windows and the two small lights on the refueling door, so I could provide these as decals to represent the missing structural details of the Minicraft kit recently reboxed by Academy.

• 2 weeks later...

This 1/144 sheet with a diverse set of markings is coming in March - I tried to incorporate your suggestions to the extent possible. Here is a small selection from the options. The 1/72 version is going to follow in April or May.

b52talltailpromo1.jpg

So, looking at websites it’s been awhile since the Tamiya 1/100 B-52 has been in production so I imagine it’s going to take more than one ask to go into production on that scale. Still, along with the monogram kit the one that got the nose and glass pretty close to right.

I have always wanted to do a RB/B-52B conversion . New wing tanks , different main gear wheels , the 20mm tail gun and perhaps a recce pod . Maybe in tbe era of 3d printing somebody can come

to the rescue

49 minutes ago, engineman said:

I have always wanted to do a RB/B-52B conversion . New wing tanks , different main gear wheels , the 20mm tail gun and perhaps a recce pod . Maybe in tbe era of 3d printing somebody can come

to the rescue

Click2Detail scaled down his early wheels to 1/144 for me; they look pretty good.  I was thinking of representing the 20mm cannons & fire control radome with leftover B-36/B-47 parts, and perhaps modify the external tanks from Revell G/H kit, but would love to see a comprehensive conversion set.

Chris

30 minutes ago, John54 said:

So this image is from the September 1965 issue of National Geographic. I’ll do a proper scan tomorrow. Great article on the United States Airforce and well worth seeking out.

IMG_9935.jpeg

Really nice shot; I believe the 2 BMW was flying B-52F models in the mid-60s.

Chris

On 2/3/2024 at 7:23 PM, Gator52 said:

Really nice shot; I believe the 2 BMW was flying B-52F models in the mid-60s.

Chris

Chris, I looked up the photo in the Sept 65 issue of NG that John54 included above and it is much wider and shows both #2 & #3 engine pods.  It is definitely a B-52F. Are those B-61s hanging off the pylons or are they BLU-27 napalm canisters?  Is that a HSAB attached to the AGM-28 main pylon?  I will have to recheck my NG issue when I get home tonight.   

Edited by Dutch

Yup!  B-61s, at least six per wing.  What an odd staggered configuration.  This BUFF is definitely headed into harm's way, but the hard way.  Makes me wonder what the crew thought of the mission of dropping a dozen B-61s at several targets.

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Makes me wonder what the crew thought of the mission.

They thought, "I hope the KGB has a subscription to National Geographic and shows this photo to Brezhnev."  

2 hours ago, jbryan911 said:

Diamond Lil as she currently sits:

IMG_0454-600x450.jpg IMG_0961-600x450.jpg

She difinitely needs to be freshened up.   Great photos.   I especially like the ones with the sun setting behind the mountains.  Never get tired of that view.