Request for CH-53E images of 161252 HMM-264 c.2006

Hello all,

Last year I made the Academy 1/48 CH-46E using decals from the excellent AOA HMM-264 Black Knights sheet, and this year I've started the Academy 1/48 CH-53E to be made also using markings from this sheet. I want to model EH-20/161252 'Lady Luck', which was on USS Bataan in 2006. I've got the brilliant Cavu book, but would love some photos of this particular airframe if anyone has any. It would really help me pin down colours of various parts and some details of the aerial fit, etc.

Many thanks for looking

Jon

If you still have the decals instruction sheet there were about 5 photos of that specific H-53, including overall views that would show overall appearance/config, and also including closeup detail of left side showing earlier removed HMH-461 markings (and fluid). Here are a few more shots specifically of 161252 too taken at the same period in 2006:

(In this first pic, EH-21 is in the background and had a different staggered EH tail code compared to EH-20 & 23.)

161252d.jpg

161252c.JPG

161252a.jpg

161252b.JPG

8 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

If you still have the decals instruction sheet there were about 5 photos of that specific H-53, including overall views that would show overall appearance/config, and also including closeup detail of left side showing earlier removed HMH-461 markings (and fluid). Here are a few more shots specifically of 161252 too taken at the same period in 2006:

(In this first pic, EH-21 is in the background and had a different staggered EH tail code compared to EH-20 & 23.)

Yep, I've still got the instructions, but these extra photos are fantastic and help me with quite a lot of detail questions. Thank you so much!

Cheers

Jon

• 4 months later...

Beautiful Shitter Sir!  I love the fact you weathered the aux tank to show the carbon fiber showing through.  Thats exactly how some of our aux tanks look every day!!  Dutch is right, this one must have just come off a quick wash rack....LOL

You have Masons book so you have seen the wear and tear on these poor beasts.  You even included a gray Sleeve and Spindle on the rotorhead!!  Your blade tip weathering is spot on as well.  Super nice build.  Thank you for sharing it!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback - I've very much enjoyed reading it.

I know I should have put a decent exhaust stain on for the #2 engine, but for some reason I didn't feel like doing it - maybe the fear of messing it up!

It's a fragile monster - I've already snapped the sensor arm off once. I used magnets for the refuelling probe, the blades into the hub, and the hub to the rotor shaft:

in-progress-103.jpg

in-progress-93.jpg

Cheers

Jon

Jon,

Did you scratch build that rotorhead?  Or is it the Reskit?  It looks just fantastic.  The first Academy I built I did not know about Reskit, so I scratch built my rotorhead blade fold lines.  Your RH assembly is jaw dropping.  I can see the pitch lock cylinders, the blade fold harness junction boxes, the dampers....WOW😃

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

20 hours ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Jon,

Did you scratch build that rotorhead?  Or is it the Reskit?  It looks just fantastic.  The first Academy I built I did not know about Reskit, so I scratch built my rotorhead blade fold lines.  Your RH assembly is jaw dropping.  I can see the pitch lock cylinders, the blade fold harness junction boxes, the dampers....WOW😃

It's the ResKit set, but detailed with some wire, ANYZ connectors and plastic card. 

To be honest, the ResKit set was a disappointment. It's way simpler than the real thing and lacks even some of the more obvious morphology that Academy managed to mould. There are quite striking 3D print lines. The worst aspect is it's not engineered to fit the kit at all - the rotor mast is a lovely casting that fits to absolutely nothing. They replicated the actuating arms with very poor PE - I replaced the more obvious ones with brass tube.

My efforts are still very poor compared to the real thing, as I'm sure you can see. The best I've seen is this build here, but I think he put upward of 1000 parts into the rotor head and I simply don't have the time, skills or references: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=14143&p=albums&album=64551

Cheers

Jon

OMG!!!  That JMSDF MH-53E is one heck of a model.  Over 1000 parts in the head.  

Wow!!  He did an outstanding job on that kit.  All the scratch built interior cargo was excellent.  thanks for the link.  I now bow my head in shame at me scratch built head...LOL

Gunny

On 3/26/2024 at 9:37 AM, jonbryon said:

@ziggyfoos

Many thanks for the photos and for producing the decals. It ended up looking like this:

Cheers

Jon

Jon - excellent build again,and paint job, also especially like how you represented the remnants of earlier number under the new "20"

really wish this kit was readily available again

Also read through your build on your site, shame to hear about all the ResKit H-53 problems, I have these sets but hadn't used them yet and now don't want to....

On 3/28/2024 at 2:13 PM, jonbryon said:

To be honest, the ResKit set was a disappointment. It's way simpler than the real thing and lacks even some of the more obvious morphology that Academy managed to mould. There are quite striking 3D print lines. The worst aspect is it's not engineered to fit the kit at all - the rotor mast is a lovely casting that fits to absolutely nothing. They replicated the actuating arms with very poor PE - I replaced the more obvious ones with brass tube.

Jon

1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

Also read through your build on your site, shame to hear about all the ResKit H-53 problems, I have these sets but hadn't used them yet and now don't want to....

This is the third build of the 48th CH-53E in recent weeks that have mentioned poor fit / overall disappointment with the ResKit parts. Kelly Quirk's build is another, and the third is from a modeler whose name I can't recall at the moment. Both builds were posted on Facebook. Other than their MER's and TER's, I dumped all of the ResKit stuff I had. 

14 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

This is the third build of the 48th CH-53E in recent weeks that have mentioned poor fit / overall disappointment with the ResKit parts. Kelly Quirk's build is another, and the third is from a modeler whose name I can't recall at the moment. Both builds were posted on Facebook. Other than their MER's and TER's, I dumped all of the ResKit stuff I had. 

Chris Becker has highlighted the poor fit and engineering on his YouTube channel, and Bernhard Schrock did the same in his superlative build I linked above.

The refuelling probe is an improvement, as was the tail rotor. The exhausts saved some seam work, but they missed an opportunity to engineer them to fit after the fuselage halves/pod halves are joined. The intakes were rubbish and the main rotor hub deeply disappointing.

Jon