CH-124 Sea King Helicopter 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron 1/48-Conversion

Hello again, its been quite a while since I posted anything on conventional modeling. I took most of the year to work on some off the wall projects refining my 3D printing skills and learning Blender, 3D Builder and Fusion 360 so I can custom make my own upgrade parts. Here is a link to the project for those interested. 90% 3D printed.

Anyways I have had a Sea King in my sights for a few years after I was inspired my a decommissioned fuselage that was delivered to the base I work on. I was able to make several trips to the helicopter taking lots of photos and physical measurements recording the details in a notebook. 

20201216_120504.jpg

20201216_120811.jpg

Just a few of the many photos ill post and reference as the build progresses.

I initially purchased the Hasegawa SH-3 kit knowing that I would have to make many conversions to make the Canadian variant. Fortunately my local hobby shop had a surplus of Belcher bits CH-124 conversion kits for the sponsons, FLIR upgrade and Sonobuoy launch tubes and CF decals for pretty much any squadron.

20231109_220429.jpg

While I was focusing on other projects I received an email from Airfix on their new tooled release of the 1/48 Westland Seaking after looking at the release photos and seeing the level of detail I was sold. It far surpassed the Hasegawa kit for internal and external detail.

20231028_221719.jpg

Hasegawa top and Airfix below

20231028_222025.jpg

I could spend days adding rivet detail to the Hasegawa kit but why? this Aifix kit also has AESOP station options which is a key component of the CH-124. Fortunatly my co-worker is a former armament tech on the SeaKing and has given me a USB with some great photos and I can ask lots of questions.

***So lets get this build going with some CAD work on the interior.***

I took all my measurements and brought them into a CAD drawing of the SeaKing also utilizing a SH-3 OBJ file I had to buy. The idea here is to compare the real life measurements to the kit measurements make the calculations and conversion from 1:1 to mm then to 1/48 scale...sound complicated not really there's an app for that, Scale Converter - calculate the real length and scale length (ginifab.com) 

20231107_230926.jpg

Making rough measurements everything in mm.

I see a potential problem right off the bat. The kit has a cabin sleeve, good in concept poor in design.

20231109_220116~2.jpg

The problem is predominately at the side cabin door where the two parts create an unrealistic thickness.

20231111_083405~2.jpg

I think ill have to cut the inner sleeve back about 5mm add the 3D printed rib structure then a thin piece of styrene to give the appearance of thin sheet metal over a frame like the photo below.

20201223_125404.jpg

Into the CAD work I have taken a cross section of the Seaking and scaled it to mm here are some progress shots.

Screenshot 2023-09-16 212957.png

Separating the fuselage to start planning the interior layout.

Screenshot 2023-10-14 053253.png

Screenshot 2023-10-14 053541.png

I designed the interior rib spans in Fusion then import them to start the layout and spacing.

Cut 5.png

Cut 6.png

Pretty happy with the concept its giving me an idea of what's working what's not. These interior ribs are only a template the really detailed parts will be drafted and 3D printed.

So fast forward a month and all the CAD work is done for the internal rib structure I will print. This project has tested my boundaries between CAD, 3D printing and model work. I am already experiencing challenge of a failed concept having to redstart and come at things from a new direction. Initially I had the idea to design and print the interior structure flat then using flexible resin bend it into the cabin sleeve. Good idea right...wrong! total fail. The stress points on the curve when placing it in just twisted the I-beams. 

Screenshot 2023-10-24 195316.png

Completed components ready to assemble

Screenshot 2023-11-11 2138243.png

Here is the 3D print in flexible resin.

20231102_193355.jpg

20231109_220816.jpg

So many problems with this print I-beams distorted way to much even before trying to fit it to the curves of the sleeve.

I scraped this idea an went back to a detailed curved, formed design.

Screenshot 2023-11-08 200459.png

And the 3D print. I had a few fails with the supports in the test print and also noticed that my measurements were off.

20231109_221134.jpg

20231109_221218.jpg

No way this is fitting!

With new measurements time to retool and start a new design. Here is the new design with deeper detail and hopefully properly scaled.

Screenshot 2023-11-11 221116.png

Supported ready for printing

screenShot_Sea_King_Ribs-Nov-Rebuild_3_supported.png

Here is a reminder of the objective print is in progress well see in a few hours how its turned out.

20201216_121416.jpg

Thanks for looking more to follow.

Hi, I'm glad to see you back.

As usual, you are doing a superb job on a fascinating subject.

I'll be following this closely, both because of your modeling itself and also to learn as much as possible about your design and printing process. One of my projects is to design and print the interior for a 1/48 Revell CH-53 (a Yassur in this case), so your work comes in handy for this purpose.

Thanks for sharing

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave,

Great work so far. I could send you more detailed shots of the interior of the Seaking here at Shearwater on the east coast. it contains the final variant with ASP, Tacco and Senso stations. I had also worked at the Seaking Filght simulator here for 9 years before they shut it down and retired the birds. 

Let me know how I can help.

Ed

If you shoot me your home address and I can send you a thumb drive with some interior shots and some older shots from the OFTT which was the trainer for the Seaking. We flew it daily to check it out before handing it over to the military for training each day. 
I plan on converting one of the Airfix Seakings as well. I sent a bunch of pictures to Mike Belcher as he was interested in trying some conversations as well. Hopefully he will do some.

Last two weeks have been challenging getting the curvature of the aft end. The frame is divided into three sections to accommodate printing

1. Forward cabin frame with door opening

2. Main cabin frame-doors and windows will be accommodated after printing.

3. Aft end cabin frame

All sections were cut in half to be inlaid into the model prior to assembling the two halves.

Here is half of the aft end.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 224456.png

The middle section-Whole

Screenshot 2023-11-22 222421.png

Middle section halved

Screenshot 2023-12-03 192349.png

Front cabin half

Screenshot 2023-12-06 230536.png

All parts assembled ready for support work in Chitubox

Screenshot 2023-11-23 211858.png

Halves assembled completed section is to long for the printer bed so ill have to print the three files seperated.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 214107.png

20231107_231120.jpg

So all measurements were taken off the model. Next step is to get the parts supported and do the second test print, depending on the quality of the print I might need a third print. This file looks complicated but its not for the printer should take about 3 hours.

I admire you guys who have the abilities and know how to use these 3D printers, they're real game changers. Keep up the fine work and looking forward to seeing your progress on this build.

Steve

I am hoping the moderators will look at starting a 3D modeling forum to pass the craft onto those with an interests. I hate to say it but I think the after market upgrade kits will soon be dyeing a slow death now that modelers can create their own parts. There is a endless supply of research material to make your own parts accurately.

It was a few projects ago that I got frustrated with cost and quality of upgrade kits, yes there is a up front cost to 3D printing but i have found over the course of the last year it has paid for itself. Having the ability to make parts the same way you would when kit bashing any model with the flexibility to add as much detail as I want. If a part breaks or needs more work its a simple fix and I can make as parts as I want. 

Edited by Night Owl Models
Update

Here is an example of a custom part I created in about two hours ( junction power box ) I can scale up or down add it to the interior of the Seaking frame. Goodbye ordering from sketchy websites, goodbye import fees and shipping charges, goodbye waiting weeks for a piece of plastic to arrive in the mail.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 230439.png

Get as close as you need to see detail its all here, no limits.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 224946.png

I agree that the aftermarket world has been changed by 3D printing. 
But I think it'll still be a decent business, as not everyone has the money and time to learn the process from the start.
Speaking for myself, mine is the lack of time to learn to do it properly. 

Your work is outstanding. 

I agree it takes time to learn for me between family and full-time work I maybe have a few hours in the late evening after all are fast asleep. I would also be open to helpful other modelers on a limited basis. 

Alternatively if you search for example jet engine .stl and purchase 3D files where the work is already done.

image.png.34e2edd03550216e0bdc6740e7d144d7.png

Then it's just printing.

Please have a look at Yeggi.com or GC Trader reputable sites. It's very inspiring to get involved in 3D printing. Printing has come way down as the technology is main stream. You can jump into the market for $400 getting everything you need. I think it's about the cost of a high end model kit with all the paint, aftermarket parts. I like https://www.elegoo.com/pages/elegoo-christmas-sales?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAmsurBhBvEiwA6e-WPGmMDQJgAfct_vmz7SXl_ZilGjCsOcxcHEYL9VGbyhFqAkVWPxZ75RoCfBMQAvD_BwE

19 hours ago, Night Owl Models said:

I am hoping the moderators will look at starting a 3D modeling forum to pass the craft onto those with an interests. I hate to say it but I think the after market upgrade kits will soon be dyeing a slow death now that modelers can create their own parts. There is a endless supply of research material to make your own parts accurately.

It was a few projects ago that I got frustrated with cost and quality of upgrade kits, yes there is a up front cost to 3D printing but i have found over the course of the last year it has paid for itself. Having the ability to make parts the same way you would when kit bashing any model with the flexibility to add as much detail as I want. If a part breaks or needs more work its a simple fix and I can make as parts as I want. 

l’d love to learn to 3D print, but I feel I’d fail miserably at it. The funny thing is I’m good with technology, computers, and mechanics. Served 25 years in the CAF/RCAF, now work in the medical field as a biomedical engineer, designed and built prototype medical devices from the component level up (nanotechnology PCR devices), but struggle with simple programs as easy as IKEA’s kitchen design software. :)

I’m good with software, but feel intimidated by what I see others producing in 3D online.

I’ve been building a Hasegawa Sea King (Canadian of course) since it was released. I don’t feel I could replicate the internal structure in 3D you displayed here. I was planning on scratch building those details. You emailed me files for 3D interior details for my Sea King, I haven’t even figured that out yet. I’m going to ask a friend of mine, an armor builder, to print those parts out for me.

I’ll definitely follow this thread.

12 hours ago, Night Owl Models said:

Give it a try 3D modeling is just a different part of modeling without the fumes 😆 Try your local hobby shop they are probably into it and can help you along.

The local shop (Great Hobbies), has brought in a ton of printing products, they even have a lot of it on clearance sales. I’ll likely give it a try, I’m usually not intimidated by change.

• 1 month later...

Its been a while always in the background I am doing CAD work on the interior. I decided that it would easier to apply the interior cabin shell to the rib structure rather than use the kits interior shell.

Kit interior shell

Sea King

So it was back to the drawing board here is the upgraded model rib structure with shell so I can bypass the kit parts.

20240114_163232-XL.jpg

Top is the old interior structure I noticed that the beams were to wide and not to scale.

Bottom is the redesign structure with shell.

20240114_163105.JPG

I am now able to start assembling the interior and design the numerous fixtures and equipment. I am starting from the aft end and working my way forward.

-First was the bulkhead and various equipment trays.

-Then the sonobuoy launcher on the cabin deck. 

Screenshot 2024-01-20 212153.png

20240122_213211.JPG

Sonobuoy launch platform CAD work I made in a few days.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 195646.png

These are in the printer as I write this. I printed two copies of the sonobuoy launchers one flat one orientated to see which prints better.

screenShot_Sonobouy_tray(20240127-19-07).png

Fresh off the printer all parts came through. 

20240127_223310.JPG

Next post ill start fitting the interior together with the kit components lots of additional details to print, wiring to run and start painting.

Edited by Night Owl Models
Add photo