Air brush usage with different paints?

Is it ok to shoot lawyers and acrylics using the same air brush or is it recommended to have 2 air brushes for this. I use mission model acrylics, but would like to also spray Tamiya laquers and Mr Hobby Laquers.

Edited by USAFsparkchaser
Spelling
1 hour ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Is it ok to shoot lawyers and acrylics using the same air brush or is it recommended to have 2 air brushes for this. I use mission model acrylics, but would like to also spray Tamiya lawyers and Mr Hobby Laquers.

Maybe it's just me, I would use something more lethal when shooting lawyers...

But to answer your question, I'm not a pro by any means, so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but I personally would use the same airbrush for both, just making sure I clean it in between, which I would always do anyway.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt to have two airbrushes if you can afford it, though.

As long as you give it a good clean between different paints, you should be fine. I would however suggest a different airbrush for metallics if your budget allows for it, those metal particles hang around longer than a clingy ex in your airbrush.  

Other than the lawyer jokes (married to a lawyer), you should have no problems using the same airbrush for spraying different paint types.  As stated, just make to clean very well.

I think my acrylic (tamiya and gunze) with lacquer thinner then use the same airbrush to spray lacquer paints. No issues (touch wood) with my iwata brush.

Lacquer paint however wasn't kind to harbor freight brush.

I have no problem shooting both through my Iwata HP-CS

That being said, there are different techniques for different types of paints.  Just practice with reduction, dry times, how heavy you can apply, first coat “adhesion” coats for enamels, etc.  

I just decanted Tamiya TS-15 gloss blue for a Blue Angels project.  Iwata would not spray it adequately with the .3 tip. Now my Grex with a .3 and fan tip hosed it on quite nicely.  

This is a question that would never occur to me. An airbrush doesn't care what kind of paint you put through it. For the first 20 years I had an airbrush, I only had the one. So anything that I sprayed went through it. That was mostly Model Master enamels with the occasional Tamiya clear. Now I use a broader range of paint types and own several airbrushes, but choose which airbrush based on the task not the paint brand.

There are two paints I see more posts about problems than any other and MMP is one of them. @USAFsparkchaser if you are having problems with MMP I would question your choice to use a paint brand that is well documented as being finicky before buying an airbrush specifically for spraying it. 

Edited by Crash Test Dummy

There is a school of thought that having traces of lacquer thinner in an airbrush could cause problems with MMP. The idea is that it can contaminate the paint. It seems plausible.  

Aside from MMP, My experience has been it is absolutely no problem using different paints in 1 airbrush. Mr. Color, MRP, Floquil, Tamiya (lacquer or acrylic), Model Master, Ammo, Model Air, no problem. 

I second the suggestion to use a separate airbrush dedicated to metallics, it is very difficult to get all the metallic particles out when cleaning, and you do not want random flakes in your paint.

Yea, I didn’t catch he was using MMP.  I tried it once and tossed out what was left over.  Tough to spray and took forever to harden where it wouldn’t scratch off the model if looked at wrong.  
I was constantly cleaning the tip of the airbrush.