Must have erased 4-500 spam messages this morning. Have Monty Python music going through my head right now. Most annoying, all but 3 were in Korean (I think). Don't even know what they were spamming about.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Must have erased 4-500 spam messages this morning. Have Monty Python music going through my head right now. Most annoying, all but 3 were in Korean (I think). Don't even know what they were spamming about.

Yeah, looked Korean. Too bad you can't ban by IP address. 

I usually report suspected spam posts as soon as I see them.  Does reporting spam posts actually help admins deal with the problem? or do admins usually uncover and ban spammers without them being reported?

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I usually report suspected spam posts as soon as I see them.  Does reporting spam posts actually help admins deal with the problem? or do admins usually uncover and ban spammers without them being reported?

The spam bots attached to a several year old thread are helpful to report, sometimes we miss those.

These multiple spam dumps are slowed down in getting rid of if reported. Because then I have to go through each one essentially twice.

Appreciate your reporting the ones we might miss. And you do a great job of it!

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Yes, what @phantom said.  We cannot monitor the site 24/7, so when you see it report it.  It sends us an email saying that it has been reported.  At minimum, we can flag the spammer and prevent them from posting again.   Then we can go back and delete the posts.   

And the Koeans are back, in the 'Test Post' sub-forum, at least - active as I'm typing this (09.00 GMT)...

Edited by andyf117

This is what one of the posts translates to:

Yeongdeok business trip shop @counseling talk mop58 Yeongdeok motel call girl Yeongdeok unlimited shot business trip & Yeongdeok condition meeting>>Unlimited number of times in Yeongdeok<<

The only "good" part is the motel call girl. :hmmm:

What seems strange is that TRIPADVISOR doesn't mention anything about motel call girls there.:rofl:

Edited by ReccePhreak

Had to be over a thousand spams last night. I would "guess" the spammer gets paid for each one he/she puts up. Who pays him/her I have no idea. But since they are all erased its not a good use of money.

Serious question for computer guys.

1. I have no idea how I became one of the big moderators since Steve left. I am not a computer person, BUT!!!!!! Is there a way to stop new menbers from  joining or posting for a few days?

Or not to post without first answering a few questions any modeller would know?

One forum I was on (years ago) required the new member to reply to 3 or 4 existing posts before they could start a new topic.

Another observation - every spammer and chatbot account I have seen immediately disables the "Recent Profile Visitors" option when they create the new account.  Is there a way to flag new accounts that do this? or deny/delay account activation if the option is disabled before an initial post?

Just spit-balling here...

Wish I knew. Like I said. I am not a computer person, I learned computer on punch cards.

I just wish I had a way to implement your ideas, that is exactly what we need for these spammers. I kid you not, it was near 1000 spam messages since I went to bed and had my morning coffee.

I "think" Steve had the uber-mods only able to make those changes. Those of us left don't appear to be able to make those changes.

Edited by phantom

Some forum engines allow setting various limitations to the new users including pre-moderation of preset number of posts or something like habu2 suggested. However this usuay requires admin rights which I guess only Steve has.

2 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Some forum engines allow setting various limitations to the new users including pre-moderation of preset number of posts or something like habu2 suggested. However this usuay requires admin rights which I guess only Steve has.

I think you are right. Those few of us still here had limited powers.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Over 1400 spams last night.

That would be about right for what I saw when I popped in earlier - 35 pages worth in the 'Test Post' section, seemingly from just three or four accounts...

.... DLTBGYD

Edited by andyf117
On 2/17/2024 at 5:53 PM, lockheed2004 said:

Maybe the site owner needs to show up more than once a year and give some power to those who actively use the forum. 

Why should he, we are running his site which is still fairly popular and he collects the money. He’s said it doesn’t make much from it but nonetheless he makes something from it