I started my Zactoflanker last week and it is an interesting twist when the aftermarket parts fit better than the kit ones. I'm pretty far behind the curve of some of the other builds going on, but here's what I've done so far (with a little help from the current in-progress threads):

I started my Zactoflanker last week and it is an interesting twist when the aftermarket parts fit better than the kit ones. I'm pretty far behind the curve of some of the other builds going on, but here's what I've done so far (with a little help from the current in-progress threads):

Using the 1/32 Trumpeter Su-27 Flanker kit and some extra after market parts, work is in progress to do a conversion to a 1/32 scale Su-27K / Su-33 Sea Flanker.

I have a question:

does the Sea Flanker have the movable intake "protection" screens? As it is intended to operate from carriers and to save weight, it would not be logical to have these standard Flanker screens installed.

Interested in the work so far?

have a look here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/su27-32/su27-1.htmhttp://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/su27-32/su27-1.htm

Cheers!

Meindert

Using the 1/32 Trumpeter Su-27 Flanker kit and some extra after market parts, work is in progress to do a conversion to a 1/32 scale Su-27K / Su-33 Sea Flanker.

I have a question:

does the Sea Flanker have the movable intake "protection" screens? As it is intended to operate from carriers and to save weight, it would not be logical to have these standard Flanker screens installed.

Interested in the work so far?

have a look here:

Hi,

I think that it should have those screens, just as standard Su-27. To save weight? what about moskit anti shipi missile ? If Su-33 can carry that thing, it can carry protection screens I suppose :whistle: .

Good luck with your work, I've also did Su-33 in 1/48, but after I finished it I realized that wheel bay shoud be painted red.

Btw, how do you plan to solve windshield area of the canopy? vakuform??

Reagrds, and keep us informed

Edited by skuki
I have a question:

Cheers!

Meindert

FOD deck clearing walks are as much a routine part of carrier life as they are on land bases, so that's no reason to omit the Flanker's built in protection.

Hi all, Working on a carrier for 4 years all I can say is there was a constant problem with FOD ( Foreign Object Debris ) From maintance, planes bouncing around, cat launches..etc. I would leave intake screens in just to reduce the risk of engine damage from FOD ? We had to run screens as a maintance tech because of the FOD risk ! We would loose an engine at least 1 every 2 days from flight deck debris!!! Screens would be a life saver ! HTH..................Joe-the-by-passe :thumbsup: :P

Edited by APUMAN57
Hi all, Working on a carrier for 4 years all I can say is there was a constant problem with FOD ( Foreign Object Debris ) From maintance, planes bouncing around, cat launches..etc. I would leave intake screens in just to reduce the risk of engine damage from FOD ? We had to run screens as a maintance tech because of the FOD risk ! We would loose an engine at least 1 every 2 days from flight deck debris!!! Screens would be a life saver ! HTH..................Joe-the-by-passe :thumbsup: :D

OK, sounds logical that the FOD screens are a very good solution also on carrier planes.

Regarding some of the other suggestions:

1. the colours of main bay that are supposed to be red? (bay and insides of doors). Any gear bay pictures I can have a look at?

2. The cockpit colour was based on Su-27K colour pictures and do not seem different than a normal Flanker. So, if it is different, any pictures of the cockpit I can have a look at? Or what is the colour?

3. The screen and canopy will be corrected using the Zactoman canopy set, but the pod in front of the windshield will be moved to the right (offset).

regards

Meindert

1. the colours of main bay that are supposed to be red? (bay and insides of doors). Any gear bay pictures I can have a look at?

2. The cockpit colour was based on Su-27K colour pictures and do not seem different than a normal Flanker. So, if it is different, any pictures of the cockpit I can have a look at? Or what is the colour?

3. The screen and canopy will be corrected using the Zactoman canopy set, but the pod in front of the windshield will be moved to the right (offset).

Ad 1. Yes, I think that both (bay and door) are suppose to be red. Also there are some modifications on front wheel bay because of two wheels. I saw one picture from a book (cocord publication) where can be seen that it is red. I will take a look at some other references, I know that there is a guy who is also building Su-33 in 1/32 and he painted red. I'll look for a link, it is somwhere here in this giant thread.

Ad2. The colour might be a bit more blueish, but it can pass.

Ad3. Unfortunatelly, Zactomodels front part of the canopy can not be used for Su-33. Su-33 has larger glass area. Do you know that resin part with irst in the middle that comes at the front of the canopy? That part shoud be a part of glass of windshield on Su-33.

But these are only suggestions, Your work looks amazing and very promissing. If You can change these parts ok, if not it is still ok. At the end, this is a hobby.

Edited by skuki

Here is a link to another Su-33 conversion. After I noticed the red in wheel bay in book (which was very barely visible I have to admit) I saw this build where he painted wheel bay in red, so I thought it must be red. You can find some very useful information about the canopy also.

http://forum.aceboard.net/45288-633-16159-...val-Flanker.htm

139vc1.jpg

Here is a picture of wheel bay

Edited by skuki
Here is a link to another Su-33 conversion. After I noticed the red in wheel bay in book (which was very barely visible I have to admit) I saw this build where he painted wheel bay in red, so I thought it must be red. You can find some very useful information about the canopy also.

http://forum.aceboard.net/45288-633-16159-...val-Flanker.htm

139vc1.jpg

Here is a picture of wheel bay

Thanks for your answers Marko "Skuki" .

Liked your 1/48 Sea Flanker conversion, looks great. I will use some of comments made there also in the 1/32 conversion project.

I have the Concord book somewhere, so will check for the "red" bay colours.

In fact, I also used a lot of info from airwar ru site, including drawings. Based on these, it seems the front nose wheel bay is not different, the 2 smaller nose wheels should fit in.

Regarding the windscreen: Zactoman provided a complete symmetrical 1/32 scale vacu- canopy in one part and the resin piece for the IRST should slide "over it" . So it should not be a problem to set that to a right offset position.

I will steadily keep on working on my 1/32 Sea Flanker.

Regards!

Meindert

Thanks for your answers Marko "Skuki" .

Liked your 1/48 Sea Flanker conversion, looks great. I will use some of comments made there also in the 1/32 conversion project.

I have the Concord book somewhere, so will check for the "red" bay colours.

In fact, I also used a lot of info from airwar ru site, including drawings. Based on these, it seems the front nose wheel bay is not different, the 2 smaller nose wheels should fit in.

Regarding the windscreen: Zactoman provided a complete symmetrical 1/32 scale vacu- canopy in one part and the resin piece for the IRST should slide "over it" . So it should not be a problem to set that to a right offset position.

I will steadily keep on working on my 1/32 Sea Flanker.

Regards!

Meindert

Meindert,

I expect you have it covered - but just in case........ :blink:

The maingear legs on the Su-33 are fatter than those on a land-based Flanker - and they have tie-down rings.

They were 'beefed up' to cater for no-flare carrier landings.

The difference in thickness is not that apparent in 1:72 scale - but in 1:32 they are visibly different. :lol:

Standard leg....

su-27_01.jpg

Su-33 leg....

su-27k_01.jpg

Also, I think the fairing on the engine trunking is bigger - and in this pic it certainly has the latching mechanism more exposed....

su-27k_03.jpg

Happy (Sea) Flankering...

Ken

Unfortunately this isn't the case. As Marko said, my canopy ends where the IRST begins. The IRST piece is solid and the clear portion of the vacform in front of this is rough, as it is intended to be trimmed away.

post-15-1118457893.jpg

(From page 2 of this thread: Le bourget this morning, flanker practice)

Speaking of canopies, I'm temporarily out...I didn't realize just how many orders for them I've been getting. I will continue accepting orders for canopies as well as combo kits and will ship them as soon as I get more vacs, probably in about 2 weeks.

:worship:

Thanks for your suggestions:

1. I painted now most parts of the gear bays red.

2. Yep , Ken, the main gear legs are thicker. Thanks for the picture. Although I haven't come to that yet, I will simple twist Scotch tape around the kit parts to "beef them up", making them look thicker. The centerline leading the vertical force is still in the same spot because of construction requirements.

And yes indeed, the gear link fairing is also a bit longer and different. I will make this from a piece of thick plastic card

and also... I have to be looking for appropriate twin nose wheels from the spares parts box....

3. Yes, Zactoman, there is a slight moulded ridge in your Zacto canopy, but there is still some clear plastic in front of it (fortunately you moulded the canopy slightly longer!!). So I should be able to suggest a slightly "longer" canopy because of the offset IRST. I think that the offset IRST and the instrument cover will camouflage the ridge in the canopy.

Another item to investigate are the pylons for the naval "stores". I envisage to use some of the stores from the Trumpeter Mik-29K naval Fulcrum kit.....

What a hobby hey?

Meindert

Hi Chris

Got the second set of intakes perfectlt intact again.

Thanks for not only the awesome product but the care in the packing for them to arrive intact half way round the world.

Cheers

Darren

PS Third set arrived two days later.

Thanks again Chris

Edited by dehowie
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey there everyone.

Been busy on my Flanker and everything is coming out looking pretty good. These have been great threads for help and inspiration. I'm at a crossroads and need your help. I have a dilemma with Zactoman's intake trunks. To FOD, or not to FOD? That is the question. Sometimes it sucks having options.

The quality of the parts for both options are great, so I'm not worried about that. I hate to cover up a majority of the trunking and engine front with the FOD, but the FOD kicks *** and it should look fine as well.

When on the ground, are the FODs up or down? Does it matter? How have you guys been building yours?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

To FOD, or not to FOD? That is the question. Sometimes it sucks having options.

When on the ground, are the FODs up or down? Does it matter? How have you guys been building yours?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Hi Chris, glad to hear you're making progress on your Flanker, so where are the pics..........? :angry:

Nah, just kidding of course although, it would be great to see some pics if you can. Maybe you could start your own thread in "In Progress"?

"To FOD or not to FOD, that is the question. Whether it is nobler to suffer the FODS or trunking of outrageous fortune" :huh:

I'm guessing that all who build their Flanker using Zactomodel parts will face this dilemma. FWIW I opted for the more realistic option of FOD guards in place. YOU're right, they do look terrific and it gives the model the look I want. Some guys have gone the whole hog and scratch built engine covers but then you'd have to even cover up the FOD guards. That for me was a bridge too far. (I might rest a pair against a wheel, suggesting that they're about to be installed.)

There are a couple of pics here to show how mine turned out:

http://s102164210.onlinehome.us/forums/ind...ic=46334&st=465 Just scroll down the page for a looksee

Good luck with your decision. Ultimately, the most important fact when considering your choice is that you are happy with it!

HTH.

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning towards having the FODs in position. I'm going to finish painting them up and see how they turn out. It's just a shame to lose all that depth.

Yeah, yeah; I'll post some pictures. I have a Nikon D90 camera and the files are HUGE, so I have to spend some time editing them down to a lower resolution. I also have dial-up. Bummer. I'll get on it this weekend in between re-building my deck and tending to a pregnant wife.

I have the cockpit completed (Aires) and it looks good. The belts for the ejection seat were challenging, but I got them in. The IRST is glued on (but not faired in yet). Zactocaopies are cut out and ready to install when I get the instrument coaming finished (weathering and flattening out). I've also done all the work to get the intake trunking and wheel wells installed. Aires wheel wells are in the latter stages of being painted. I have enough to get my own thread started, so maybe I'll do that. I'll call it "A Posers 1/32 Flanker".

I bought the aircraftphoto.ru CD and it's been a great help for pictures. For the blue weathering on the engine NMF sections have you used a clear blue/red like Tamiya or Gunze, or the clear Alcad colors? I've used the Alclad clear colors with pretty good luck, but haven't tried to airbrush a thin line. What do you think?

Thanks again.

Chris

Hi Chris, glad to hear you're making progress on your Flanker, so where are the pics..........? :lol:

Nah, just kidding of course although, it would be great to see some pics if you can. Maybe you could start your own thread in "In Progress"?

"To FOD or not to FOD, that is the question. Whether it is nobler to suffer the FODS or trunking of outrageous fortune" B)

I'm guessing that all who build their Flanker using Zactomodel parts will face this dilemma. FWIW I opted for the more realistic option of FOD guards in place. YOU're right, they do look terrific and it gives the model the look I want. Some guys have gone the whole hog and scratch built engine covers but then you'd have to even cover up the FOD guards. That for me was a bridge too far. (I might rest a pair against a wheel, suggesting that they're about to be installed.)

There are a couple of pics here to show how mine turned out:

http://s102164210.onlinehome.us/forums/ind...ic=46334&st=465 Just scroll down the page for a looksee

Good luck with your decision. Ultimately, the most important fact when considering your choice is that you are happy with it!

HTH.

:cheers:

FWIW, the next issue (September) of Miltary in Scale has my article on building and correcting the Trumpeter 1:32 scale Su-27 :- http://www.militaryinscale.com/

The mag is on sale sometime in August and the long article is apparently split into two parts...................

I made my Flanker last year using Zactoman's excellent canopy - but before the intakes and nose were available - so mine are scratch-built. :o

It also isn't as detailed as Geedubelyer's - nor a few other awesome builds that have appeared in this superb thread - but I liked it - and it is FINISHED :lol:

It has a working nosewheel suspension with scratch-built (corrected) mudguard, modified mainwheel legs, opened avionics panel, brake chute housing, painted using White Ensign Su-27 paints and Linden Hill decals.

It also has one red-painted FOD guard in place, the other intake is 'open' with the mesh screen raised.

Just thought I'd let you know......

Happy Flankering <_<

Ken