Pierre's Phantom F-4E Peace Icarus

The most difficult area of any Phantom construction: the intakes B) There so many spots and seams to clean... Those of you guys having fiddled with Phantom kits know what I mean!

The only solution is called PUTTY and PATIENCE. Along with a couple of home-built sanding pads, it took me now a couple of evenings to approach an acceptable result.

Two pictures of the areas I am talking about. Then two more to show you my tools.

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9455_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9456_modifi__.JPG

My home.made sanding sticks: second-hand dentist tools, an old brush handle and a piece of scrap styrene. I glued the sanding sheets with double-side adhesive foam pads.

With these tools I can reach almost any place of a kit (even deep in side an air intake trunc) and obtain perfectly flat sanded areas B)

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9458_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9459_modifi__.JPG

More sanding: the intakes are now approaching perfection :bandhead2:

Today I started tweaking the vertical stabilizer. I reshaped the radar housing at the top (cut away the old one, scratch built a new one), and repositionned the rudder. On the rudder I thinned the trailing edge to a more appropriate shape.

Cheers for now,

Pierre

DSCN9461_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9460_modifi__.JPG

Pierre, nice work there! BUT: I thought you were building this one in flight? That would be a lot to much rudder to do so... If it stays on ground, well, then it’s ok!

skyraider

A change from my original idea: it would have been a crime to close the canopies on so detailed cockpits! The Phantom will be taxiing, taking an exit from the rwy, the drag chute still attached - which is not a normal situation, but the release handle jammed B)

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre, nice work there! BUT: I thought you were building this one in flight? That would be a lot to much rudder to do so... If it stays on ground, well, then it’s ok!

skyraider

A change from my original idea: it would have been a crime to close the canopies on so detailed cockpits! The Phantom will be taxiing, taking an exit from the rwy, the drag chute still attached - which is not a normal situation, but the release handle jammed :huh:

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre, you 're not wrong. I 've got at least one picture of a greek F-4E (71756 in SEA camouflage in 1989) taxiing with brake chute, only difference is canopies are closed, but you can always excuse that, by saying it was a warm summer evening at Andravida or even worse (and hot) in Larissa. :lol:

Needless to repeat, but your PHantom is P-E-R-F-E-C-T! :worship:

skyraider

A change from my original idea: it would have been a crime to close the canopies on so detailed cockpits! The Phantom will be taxiing, taking an exit from the rwy, the drag chute still attached - which is not a normal situation, but the release handle jammed :D

Cheers,

Pierre

The Luftwaffe Phantoms that have come to Maple Flag don't blow their chute off until they are well onto an exit. They would turn to about a 30 to 45 degree angle, goose the engines and blow the chute into the grass infield between the runway and taxiway. We'd always see one or two a week that would taxi all the way back with the chute still attached.

Great work as always.

:cheers:

yeah, i check it a few times a day!

cant wait every day when you put more pics up pierre

amazing work mate :cheers:

Put me down for checking for new pics ten times a day. 10 times 7 days a week, times 4 weeks a , times 12 months......3360.

(This is the coolest thread) Ray

Here is the vertical fin, where I filled a couple of panel lines and adjusted the cap. I filled the inside of the rudder hinge with a mix of plasticard and putty, which I will sand when it is dry.

Then I started an etching session, and produced my own flap fairings... They fill the space between the flaps' inner edges and the body. The upper etch on the photo is this part, the lower two etches are tha fairings that cover the upper side of the flaps when they are down (more on this later on).

DSCN9467_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9463_modifi__.JPG

:wacko: Sweet as ever Pierre....

Can I send you a PM? I'd like to pick your brains on the metal etching.

I read your article on etching which is an inspiration but there are a couple of points I'd like to try and clear up.

:blink:

I had to rescribe a couple of panels on the spine, as I sanded them off when I adjusted the body halves. I used a flexible template (Hasegawa) and a pin. First 3 -4 light passes, just driving the pin along the template, followed by a couple of increasingly stronger pressing passes.

Then came 6 fasteners in each panel. I got the correct alignment (60°) by drafting a template on a piece of transparent paper and marking the place with a pun. I drilled the fasteners with a tiny drill (0.3mm).

I applied some Tamiya liquid cement to each new panel line to soften the ragged trench, and sanded away raised material with a Micromesh pad.

Then came a final layer of primer, to check that everything is fine. So far, so good :wave:

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9469_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9470_modifi__.JPG

DSCN9474_modifi__.JPG

One more for today: I found a convenient way to hold my Phantom upright to position the resin nose. Curved pliers (stuck into the aux air doors), 2 clamps and a length of masking tape. I glued the nose with 2-component epoxy. Its own weight keeps it in place :cheers:

Cheers,

Pierre

DSCN9478_modifi__.JPG