What is your favorite scale for Dioramas?

Hi 451! Are you planning to do a diorama in 1/48th scale? Lots of subject matter in that scale.Welcome aboard our new forum. Cheers! John. :worship:

Sorry 451 I just realized that your the one with the nice seaplane base. :wacko: Cheers! John.

Edited by JohnReid

I like 72nd because that is the scale I build :thumbsup:

I also like that you can make a decent dio and not use up too much area or you can have multiple planes in the space a 32nd scale kit would take on the shelf.

I also like 48th because of the detail you can add and the figures are a little more visible so can better be used to tell the story.

32nd would work if the story revolves more around the figures than the kit but will use a lot of space.

I've only tried a 1/48 scale model. And I've never tried a diorama. But from looking at 1/32 scale models and dioramas I'd say they are my favorite. Simply because you can add more detail when things are bigger.

Edited by FirstTimeModeler
48 or 32.

Same here. Unfortunately, there is not that much available for Modern Navy scenes. A few Verlinden items, some expensive flightpath stuff, some baseplates, but: only a few vehicles (which EVERYONE is using due to a lack of alternatives), so every carrier deck contains the same Hasegawa, CMK and Verlinden figures, the same TOW trucks and even the same oxygen cart and firetrucks. Most items are out of production etc., etc. :thumbsup: Rant over. Neil: Paragon to the rescue, please!

Thank god, for 1/32, there is Jean-Pierre of PWMP!

István

Edited by I.Illes
  • 2 years later...

72 - because that's the scale I build in. My biggest gripe about 1/72, is that suitable figures are hard to come-by. You (at least I do) gotta look at the available figures, force them to interact, then match to dio to what the figures are doing.

George, out......................

I used to do all of my dioramas in 1/72nd scale because of the availability of materials and the fact you could squeeze a lot on a 1' by 1' base. Now, however, 1/48th scale is my preferred size, especially since so much is now available...figures, armor, and accessories, that weren't just 10 years or so ago. The downside is I can spend a fortune on the details!

I did do a dio in 1/12th scale which took nearly a year to complete.

Either 72 (more helo oriented) or 35 (figure/armor)

I wouldn't mind doing 144th, but lack of figures really hurts it from that perspective...

Take care,

Austin

I like it in 1/144 scale :P

I' have idea's for about 10 dio's, but have some problems to make them; the most of them include flying airplanes.

I 'm also trying to make a 1/700 dio, a airfight with us and japanees aircraft (no ships)

An other idea is to make the killing of the yamato (1/1200) with airplanes in 1/350...

• 2 months later...

:bandhead2: It all depends on what you want to show and the available space.

- a well detailed maintenance scene could be done in 1/32 or 1/24 if you only want 1 single engined aircraft.

- a group of fighters (a flight 3/4) 1/72.

- for bombers - if space permits 3 or 4 1/72, otherwise 1/144 is wise.

- some people showed us excellent carriers with a complete aircraft group in 1/72 and 1/48 - again space is the word (and time).

And so I can go on. One thing which is nr 1 for me: donot make the scene overcrowded.

Happy modelling.

• 1 month later...
:deadhorse1: It all depends on what you want to show and the available space.

- a well detailed maintenance scene could be done in 1/32 or 1/24 if you only want 1 single engined aircraft.

- a group of fighters (a flight 3/4) 1/72.

- for bombers - if space permits 3 or 4 1/72, otherwise 1/144 is wise.

- some people showed us excellent carriers with a complete aircraft group in 1/72 and 1/48 - again space is the word (and time).

And so I can go on. One thing which is nr 1 for me: donot make the scene overcrowded.

Happy modelling.

What he said!

I usually let the idea and scope of the project dictate the scale.

I also like to mix scales in order to "force" the perspective.

As an example:

1/72 scale aircraft over 1/1200(?) scale ships.

Tanking_1.jpg

...and another 1/72 OA4M with a 1/700(?) scale Phantom.

OA4M_1.jpg

I normally build in 1/48th but there is no way I would have room to display the above dio's if they were done in a that scale!

Fortunately, I have less time to work on them than I have room to display them! So, it works out ok! :lol:

Edited by SteveL
  • 1 year later...