F-14 Blown Behind Cat 4 Cv-62

must've been a pretty hair-raising experience... You can clearly hear the pilot asking them to suspend the launch.

CV-62 Independence in April 1995... The modex number for the Tomcat on cat#4 makes that one a VF-21 Freelancers jet, but it's anyone's guess whether the jet that got the blow-lamp treatment was a VF-21 or 154 Tomcat.

It looks like one of the chutes barely opens before he hits the water, iand maybe not even then.

I'm wondering who missed the fact that the blast deflector wasn't up?

Does anyone know if both the crew members made it alright? As habu2 pointed out, it looked as though one of the chutes was barely open when they went into the drink. Also, who is responsible for making sure a launch sequence does not get as far as this one did without making sure that everything is as it should be, safety wise? I mean look at all the people standing there and nobody saw anything odd?

I guess that is why it is one of the most dangerous places in the world to work!

My question is: Who shut the jet down? Correct me if I am wrong, but starting an ejection sequence does not stop the motors. So if they didn't have the time to do it (I don't think I would), who did?

Like I said, maybe it does and I don't know it (Jet guys correct me if need be), but that is going to bother me now for a long time.........

Hope both were GTG.

Cheers

Matt

Another view of that same accident from the PLAT camera assigned to watch catapult 4.

F-14 Blown Behind Cat 4 CV-62 View #2

It opens up with a trainiee hook up man going in and making sure that the holdback fitting is in place then the qualified man checking up on that job.

You start to see chains and other items that are stacked in the scuppers of the flight deck start to get blown over the side as the other F-14 is caught by the exhaust and started to spin around. Either the shooter or the pilot has now made a mistake since he is taking the bird up on power without signalling to have the JBD's (or Jet Blast Deflectors) raised first.

The camera zooms out because the PLAT operater, in a station inside the skin of the ship, starts to believe that the lauch is a go so he can catch the full launch down the cat track. You can also see the other F-14 start to spin and be blown some more. Here the Airboss should of given the suspend launch over his "God mic", since obviously that other F-14 is in trouble.

Finally you see the bird in trouble bounce over the scupper, the canopy leave, the seats leave, and the shooter give the "de-tenison" signal and the throttle back signal to the bird on the cat as everyone else on the deck starts to manuver for rescue efforts.

As the Granpa Pettibone would say all the holes in the swiss cheese came together to cause the lose of this aircraft and injury to its crew. The airboss or the mini-boss lost view of what was going on, the aircraft directors who has control of that aircraft lost where they were and what was happening to thier plane, the shooter for that catapult lost sight of what was going on, the flight deck safety observer lost sight of what was going on, The flight deck bousn lost control of what was going on, the aircraft handler lost control of what was going one, and finally the skipper of the ship lost sight of what was going on if he was on the bridge or at least the officer of the deck lost sight of safety.

The biggest problem with work on the flight deck though is trying to keep your eyes on about a thousand different things going on at once. You have to watch what your doing, what the idiot next to you is doing, what aircraft is taking off/landing/taxiing/ starting/shutting down. If you have to move where the safest place to move to is and not everyone on the flight deck is tied into the handler's radio net. So if some did see something wrong they would then have to run and find someone with a pair of mickey mouse ears to communicate the problem to. By whcih time the accident has occured.

Edited by A6BSTARM

Scary video.

Btw, does anyone know how I can download the videos from that website? Been looking around & found some good ones. But it appears to be in streaming format not anything downloadable.

Scary video.

Btw, does anyone know how I can download the videos from that website? Been looking around & found some good ones. But it appears to be in streaming format not anything downloadable.

TRY HERE JackMan, this site works with a few streaming video sites including Youtube and Google.

Personally, I found the T2 incident on the same site much scarier. Check it out.

Graham,

Head over to DVIC and do a search for "Lexington" for some pictures of the afterwards. Part of a wing for that T-2 is stuck up in the superstructure and they have pictures of the pieces left over. That crash killed both the IP and the Student Pilot and severly injured a number of the flight deck personnel.

Just had a flick through some of the others. I actually witnessed "Airshow Crash #7" which occured at RAF Mildenhall in 1983 IIRC. There's another entitiled "Royal Air Force Puma Collision" which appears to feature "Puma type" choppers but certainly not RAF versions.

http://users.frii.com/dawog/vaq132/e199903...er_accident.htm

I found this on the S-3 and EA-6B accedent

Vince

That happened with my current squadron VAQ-130 back in 1998 onboard the USS Enterprise. It killed the crew of the EA-6B and the 2 guys in the S-3 suffered burns when they ejected through the flames. The chain seriously broke down in this one. According the the released report, the LSO's had lost track of the S-3 after it had landed, the flight deck bosun was having problems spinning the bird out of the landing area (LA) cause the guys up in Fly 1( the area from the bow to about where Elevator 2 starts on the Big E) were having problems getting a bird out of what is called the 6-pack, a row of parking spaces just along side the foul line for the Landing area and set back from the bow cats. The folks up in Pri-Fly had lost over all situtational control of what was happening on the flight deck. It wasn't, again according to the public portion of the mishap board report, a flight deck director calling a foul deck that everyone's head snapped around at the wrong second. It was a bad way to start a cruise with. :crying: