Doolittle, due late

I finally finished Accurate Miniatures' 1/48 B-25B Mitchell "Dooittle Raider." I say "finally" because my computer has been targeted by hackers. My new McAfee firewall is blocking about 100 attempted intrusions a day.

It was built using Eduard's PE detail set and Squadron vac canopies. I used Model Master Olive Drab on the topsides, and WEM Colourcoats Neutral Gray underneath. I tried something a bit different for the washes this time. Rather than mix the base enamel colors with flat black enamel, I mixed them with Ivory Black instead.

I used the kit decals (decals for all 16 Raiders are included in the kit) for the "Ruptured Duck," which was featured in "30 Seconds over Tokyo." The 64th anniversary of the raid is the 18th of this month. This is my tribute to those brave crews.

mitchell023.jpg

mitchell024.jpg

mitchell025.jpg

mitchell026.jpg

mitchell027.jpg

mitchell028.jpg

mitchell029.jpg

mitchell030.jpg

Hope you like it. It was a LOT of fun to build !

The previous progress pics can be seen here: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/mitchellbuild.htm

Thank you very much ron, David, klimmer, Shawn, Bill, Mercury, Backfire, and Mikeew !

David - I decided to try and fix, rather than replace, the nosegear. I glued it with Zap-A-Gap, then ran some more around the cylinder. Filing, scraping, and sanding saved it. I'm MUCH relieved.

klimmer - I used Model Master enamel OD ANA 613 on the airframe, and MM's enamel faded OD on the fabric control surfaces. Based on the B&W pics of the Raiders I've seen, the contrast between the two appears just about right.

Shawn - there are a lot of parts, and lots of detail painting. You don't really need a lot of room to build it. My final assembly (after everything was done) was to glue the wings to the fuselage. They fit well, and adding them last allows you a lot more room to work on the fuselage & wings separately.

Mercury - look closely. They're there, along with the painted slit openings. The three "real" guns are painted Alcad II steel, while the broomsticks are flat black. Poking the holes in the vac tailcone was a nail-biter, though.

Thanks again !

Thanks Mitch !

I don't consider myself a master (if there was nothing left to learn about the hobby, how much fun would that be? It would just be a routine.). I just have a lot of time to build, usually 30 to 50 hours a week.

Glad you like it !

Hi Bill:

I don't know which build I like better, your Mitchell or your Fokker. Both are bloody fine indeed! :o

Perhaps I like the Fokker better, but only because of its simplistic, delicate elegance. No matter how beautifully rendered, a Mitchell is still a Mitchell! :trolls:

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching both builds. I do hope you continue to entertain us with many more. When do you think you will begin that Albatros you have? I think I will simply drool over that one.

:cheers::cheers:

J.C.

Thank you Jamie !

I hope to start the Albatross pretty soon. It looks as nice in the box as the Fokker does. Of course, I could also start their E. V . . .

Thanks again, and I'm glad you like it !

Thank you Jamie !

I hope to start the Albatross pretty soon. It looks as nice in the box as the Fokker does. Of course, I could also start their E. V . . .

Thanks again, and I'm glad you like it !

I will definitely be looking for it. Perhaps you can drop me a PM when you start your thread on it? This way, I can be sure not to miss it.

Cheers!

J.C.

Thank you Anthony !

Anthony - Actually, there were "only" 16 B-25s on the Hornet. I have another kit in the stash, so I'd need to buy 14 more kits. Since I've added the PE and vac canopies to this one, I'd need 15 more of those. Sounds like I'd need to hit the lottery to make it a reality. :blink:

Here's a link to the build article: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80090

I'll do that Jamie. The Albatross has considerably more rigging, so I may have to see a doctor first to get some tranquilizers. I'll also have Eduard's C. IIA Walfisch this week. That's the one that has side windows and curtains. How cool is that?

Thanks again !