Exclusive first pics of the F-35 JSF AA-1

For those that are interested, the first F-35 JSF AA-1 was shown on the following link:

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles/2006/...f+official.html

The color looks different than what artist impressions showed earlier. The dark/gun metal gray doesn't look bad at all imo. The light gray radome was expected. Overall I think it looks good. Now waiting for Friday when they'll have the rollout ceremony to give it it's official nickname.

what name? I can't find any mention of a name. (I'm still putting my money on the Native American name)

and hmm...what are those 2 long bumps on the "shoulders" of the plane? is that where the gun is? And, did they change the design of the tailplane a little?

Edited by RedHeadKevin
what name? I can't find any mention of a name. (I'm still putting my money on the Native American name)

and hmm...what are those 2 long bumps on the "shoulders" of the plane? is that where the gun is? And, did they change the design of the tailplane a little?

It does look like a blast panel in front of the port side hump. There's no hole for the bullets to come out though, I guess that's for later.

Nice find, btw. I don't think it's ugly.

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
I guess they solved some of the weight issues by leaving off the landing gear doors, those sly devils.

Cheers,

Sean

:woot.gif: Maybe someone will realize that and put them back on tomorrow by rollout.

Good find. Thanks for sharing.

-John

Glad you enjoyed the article John.

Hmm, that looks pretty cool. The dark scheme is fitting, but not that name sad.gif

Jeff

I agree if they go with that name. If they go with that name, I wonder what the unofficial nickname the pilots will eventually give it.

Kevin,

The name USAF General Moseley is said to have decided on is LIGHTNING II. Also, the hump above the left intake/shoulder is for the internal gun. The hump on the right intake/shoulder I have no idea as that was a design feature added later. I guessing sensors on that one?

I don't know about you guys, but I think it looks ugly. To be exact, it looks it got beat with an ugly stick. wacko.gif

Like the old saying goes, "You can't please everyone." There are people who are going to like or dislike it for various reasons.

Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I prefer a same body-color radome... but maybe that's just me...

jsf1.jpg

Edited by raptor22

Gents:

Let's talk color. Looks like Euro-grey but!!! It's in indirect lighting save for one picture. Does it have a "Raptor Sheen" or is it normal paint? Wonder what no. 2 will be painted like?

Mark

First off, thanks for the find and the sneak peak.

I guess they solved some of the weight issues by leaving off the landing gear doors, those sly devils.

It worked great for the X-32!* Oh, wait....(ducks and covers)

There's no hole for the bullets to come out though, I guess that's for later.

It'll probably be a door that opens like on the F-22

Mark - I'd say it's equal to either Euro 1 (36081) or Gunship Gray (36118). I've seen some freshly painted aircraft in 36118 that look pretty dark and in diffused or dim lighting (notice that the cast shadows on the ground beneath the people beside it are blurry, denoting an overcast sky), 36118 can look like 36081.

Looking at the pix under direct sunlight, it looks closer to 36118 and appears it might have a sheen similar to the Raptor.

Big question I have is, is this color what the fleet (USAF at least) will wear, or is it simply part of the EMD phase?

* just kidding folks

Edited by Trigger74

Trigger:

Didn't think they'd make it easy for modelers. Time to wait and see the how the EMD aircraft for the various services are painted.

So when do you gents think ol Italeri will be out with a model of this aircraft?

Mark

I guess I'm glad the article states it's a one-off airframe, and that the next one will be built to production standard. I won't have to make *that* many changes to my Italeri kit.

If it's even more different, of course....

Trigger:

Didn't think they'd make it easy for modelers. Time to wait and see the how the EMD aircraft for the various services are painted.

So when do you gents think ol Italeri will be out with a model of this aircraft?

Mark

Italeri already has made one.

Hopefully the performance will also be better than expected. I hope Col. Tomassetti was refering to the F-35B when he said the jet isn't going to be as fast or as potentially maneuverable as the F-16.

Thanks for sharing!

Personally, I prefer a same body-color radome... but maybe that's just me...

jsf1.jpg

I agree. The color matching radome looks even better raptor22!

It worked great for the X-32!* Oh, wait....(ducks and covers)

:D

Big question I have is, is this color what the fleet (USAF at least) will wear, or is it simply part of the EMD phase?

Good question Trig. I too wonder if this will be the new standard or just for the first F-35. Or will each service have their own unique paint scheme. I guess we'll find out when the first F-35B and F-35C rolls out in a two to three years.

It does look like a blast panel in front of the port side hump. There's no hole for the bullets to come out though, I guess that's for later.

I think you're right GG. I don't know if AA-1 is expected to do any gun firing test.

Looks a little portlier than the prototypes ... weighs less, eh? Anyway I think it actually looks pretty good. Still can't understand why any other country would buy them if they aren't allowed the source code though ...