F-14 Final Flight

All,

OK, I just got home from the Sunset Trip. I had a great time! Not only seeing the beloved Tomcat for the last time, but also spending time with some of our ARC brothers. I roomed with Darren "Wild Man" Roberts, Brian "Smooth" Plescia, and Jeremy "Bear" Housdan. Also, not far away (but not sharing) was Brian "Meathooks" Marbrey.

It was great! Just like being in college all over again! I have had only about 6 1/2 hours of sleep in 3 days, but it was great!

The Final Flight was bittersweet. Very cool, but sad to see her go. I was honored to be there for such a wonderful ceremony. Everything was perfect, right down to the flight. While it could've been more....um.....Tomcat, it was still great to see it for the last time.

I don't think there was a dry eye in the house...er....uh......on the ramp.

(But that was because Marbrey had hot wings the night before! :banana: )

Anyway, without further delay.....here are a few pictures.

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Edited by CRASCA

A few more.......

Many more to come later, but right now I can barely keep my eyes open. Let me say that meeting Darren, Brian, Jeremy, and Brian (again) plus Dan Teker proved again to me that ARCers are truly class people.

Enjoy!

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_3000.jpg

Looking good, Craig; great shots! From the takeoff shots it even looks like the clouds in the sky were a perfect shade of Light Gull Gray to compliment the flight.

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for getting out there and reporting back to us poor unfortunates stuck seeing it on the internet.

Long live the Tomcat, Baby!

:banana:

Looking good, Craig; great shots! From the takeoff shots it even looks like the clouds in the sky were a perfect shade of Light Gull Gray to compliment the flight.

Glad you had a good time. Thanks for getting out there and reporting back to us poor unfortunates stuck seeing it on the internet.

Long live the Tomcat, Baby!

:wave:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nice shots,

How about some narration as for what was happening with 107 ? Was she departing for a museum?: A final flyover?: did she return to the Oceana ramp ? etc etc etc..

Got to know baby !

ThudDriver :banana:

100 and 101 are going to museums....not sure which ones though...but I heard they are not going to the boneyard.

I hope a few will be in Canadian aviation museums. I'm gonna miss seeing the Tomcat at airshows ;) .

Let me tell you, we could have made a killing selling them. I can't tell you how many people came up and wanted to know if they were for sale. We could have easily made over $3000. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to pack for Hawaii. Oh, BTW, the models are all on display at the O Club....really they are. :cheers:

Edited by Darren Roberts

Brian might know better now what has happened to them... I believe it was only a short-term deal to store them there (something to the effect that the committee simply had too much on their minds in those hours to care much about models is my guess, but that's all it is)

OK Guys,

It was my understanding that the models would be turned over to the Va. Beach IPMS chapter, who would be displaying them at the regionals. But, let's wait for Brian to return.

I DO know that the models looked outstanding. Very impressive all lined up together, and the Tomcat folks were thrilled. It was really cool, and Darren is right.....MANY people inquired about buying them, and there is no doubt that they were much appreciated. We even met some of the people that designed the paint schemes that were on display etc.......And, it was REALLY cool when an old Tomcat guy would come walking past, see his old bird, and it would rattle those memories loose and then they would begin to share interesting stories.

The only problem we had is when Darren would lose control, grab a model, and start running around playing "Mig Killer" making jet noises etc......Very embarrassing!

So, I think you all were a part of something special, and the group build accomplished exactly what it was suppposed to. Nice job!

Pics to come later............

:cheers:

Edited by CRASCA

Gents,

No worries! I just got off the phone with Meathooks, and the models will be in the posession of the Va. Beach IPMS chapter. They will be displayed at the Regional IPMS contest next month. After that, the winning models will be displayed at the Oceana Officers' club, and the rest of the collection will be split - som going to the base ops ctr, and the rest will be going to the Va. air and space museum.

So, no worries!

WOW!

We seem to have got off track a bit - so back to the pictures. If you want pics of the models, go over to the Group Build forum and have a look.

Here are some more "Real" tomcat pics from the ceremony. Enjoy! :D

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

PS: Anyone notice a difference between the subject of these pictures Vs. the subject in the flight pictures?? :D