I started couple of weeks ago and was motivated by Old Man's scratch build to show some work in progress.

The choice of good WW I plastic kits is very limited and I wanted to challenge myself anyway so I decide to scratchbuild it.

No need to talk about importance of this plane, perhaps just two statistics. Pilots in Sopwith Camel shot down more planes in WW I than with any other plane. Other, less flatering stat is that more pilots got killed in accidents than being shot down by enemies. The reason of course being inherently unstable plane, which makes it extremely manouverable but also very dangerous to fly.

In this scale hollow fuselage is almost impossible so i decided to make it full. I used styren 0.020" (0.5 mm) and to make shaping and sanding easier I laminated the body using two different colors of styren. To glue them toether I used generous amounts of thin CA and pressed them together.

I also used the same type styren for the engine covling. Just wrapped it around a knife handle and glued it with CA and dipped it in hot water to keep the shape.

IMG_2474.JPG

I used same technique for wings and propeler. Here is a photo of roughly shaped parts:

IMG_2473.JPG

The whole construction should look something like this:

IMG_2476.JPG

And if you are woindering how big (small) is this thing, here is a comparison to the match (sorry to copy you Pierre):

IMG_2538.JPG

Thanks for looking and any hint, idea or criticism are welcome.

Do you take kudos? That's a very pretty (and I imagine extremely challenging) model. Impressed, sir :)

I take those gladly too :thumbsup: Thank You.

wow! I love these projects, will surely follow yours!

Thanks Rocat. This is my first WW I scratch build I hope it will succeed.

Looking very nice, Sir!

Laid by the match makes it particularly impressive.

Is this a war-game project?

Thanks Old Man. No I just got into 1/144 modeling by chance and really got hooked to it. Besides, it is very convenient in terms of display space required.

Edited by FlyingLow

I just want to comment on the irony of your scratchbuild inspired by Old Man to mine (also inspired by Old Man, btw). You chose to scratch one of the smallest aircraft ever in one of the smallest scales ever. I decided to build the BIGGEST biplane ever built (the SSW R.VIII).

Made me chuckle a bit. Very nice work!

It might be interesting(if not convenient) to see a side-by-side of this Sopwith Camel and Lucien's SSW R.VIII. :nanner:

Failing that, could I(we) see the big one, too?

T I A :banana:

Thanks. Lucien I would like to see your build too.

I was working on creating a rib effect on the wings this weekend. After some trial and error it seems that easiest way to do it is by applying tiny styren strips. I used smalles I could get 0.01" x 0.01" (0.25mm X 0.25 mm). To be able to align them properly I first printed lines on paper and attached wings to it. I used Tamiya Thin Cement as it gets nicely sucked along the whole length. Because I expected a lot of sanding I wanted strong bond so I used it generously:

IMG_2526.JPG

Then I used Mr. Surfacer to "soften" them up a bit:

IMG_2528.JPG

Next was a lot of sandind to almost completely remove plastic strips. Here they are after Tamiya White primer:

IMG_2539.JPG

Bottom:

IMG_2540.JPG

I am quite pleased with achieved, so it is time for final rough shaping. I cut out openings from the top wing and separated bottom and inserted brass pins for later attachment to the fuselage:

IMG_2543.JPG

That's for now, hopefully I will find enough time next week to finish shaping the fuselage.

Nice wing work. I'm actually working on the wing ribs myself right now, although my technique is a bit different.

As for my build, here's the In-Progress thread. I'm going to update it soon, as I've done a bit of work on the wings that isn't up yet.

SSW R.VIII Scratchbuild

I have a 1/72 Sopwith Triplane that I'm planning on comparing it to. A 1/144 Camel? The wingspan of THAT would probably be about one half of the horizontal tailplane of the R.VIII!

Thanks everybody for nice words.

It was time to do some more sanding. First I thinned the sides of the cockpit then I made couple of cuts for Vickers machine guns.

Unfortunately I sanded off a bit too much material on the nose so I had to add thin styrene plates on each side:

IMG_2547.JPG

Using thin copper wire and piece of fine cloth I built a seat. First attempt turned out too big so second try was needed:

IMG_2550.JPG

I couldn't help myself but paint a bit. In reality it is slightly less yellow than on this photo:

IMG_2552.JPG

Oils were used to simulate wood structure on propeller, floor and instrument panel:

IMG_2553.JPG

I will soon have to decide or a concrete plane, any suggestions?

Edited by FlyingLow

Thanks Pete, Isaac and everyone else looking. BTW. Isaac I do plan to rig the plane, how successful it will be unfortunately nobody knows :-)

I made very little progress, was away on business almost the whole week. I started on a part that makes or breaks the look of WWI model, the engine.

Not much is needed to build one, some sprue leftovers, screws from glasses repair kit and a lot of patience. I first printed the star to be able to align the cylinders:

IMG_2555.JPG

About one hour later I had this:

IMG_2557.JPG

Some paint and dry fit looks quite promising:

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2564.JPG

I am currently experimenting with materials for rigging, I hope this nylon line will work:

IMG_2565.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Slick.

I was able to make very little progress lately, interior is finished and time is to install it:

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

After Tamiya primer I detailed the exterior a bit:

IMG_2629.JPG

Tail counstruction:

IMG_2633.JPG

Main components thrown together:

IMG_2636.JPG

Decals:

IMG_2568.JPG

Thanks Chris. Since I am mostly building 1/144 I have quite a fleet already and will surely make some pictures next to the rest... when I am done of course.

This last weekend I only managed to splash some paint on it:

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

That is all for now, thanks for looking.

Because of my travels I will have to take a little break from modeling and will be back in mid-August, enjoy the summer.