RoCAF F-16A Block 20 Feng Huang (Be back for a year...)

Well… I know I still have at least 2 WIP (Thunderbird’s Falcon and Top Gun’s Scooter…as well as a Revell F-15E that started almost 2 years ago…) projects not finished, but I can’t help starting a new F-16 project, this time I want to make a Taiwanese F-16A Block 20.

I guess the reason why I took this project is that RoCAF’s falcon is so specific… with the avionics MLU standard, fuselage Block 50 standard, and a fainted 3-tone-grey paint, last but not least… a “China†air force national insignia called “blue sky white sunâ€Â, which stands for Republic of China…now actually only Taiwan…

Before I started, I always willing to imagine how my beauty would be finally, and seeking reference for painting, weathering, load-out and etc. Thank god, they are always not that hard to find today. This time, I want to make a falcon in the position of “touching downâ€Â. To do so, some tiny modification should be done: 1) Fully opened brake; 2) Loosed exhaust “turkey-featherâ€Â; 3) Loosed hydraulic sticks on both front and main gears; 4) Forward flaps up, main flaps down.

Ref pics:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece---Ai...238df255eb15867

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Netherlands...238df255eb15867

I chose Tamiya’s 61102 which offers NSI intake, P&W exhaust, light weight gears, as well as heavy weight gears for Blk 52 and the fwd gear door landing light.

The brakes from Kinetic, better detailed than Tamiya.

img3596k.jpg

The curve of Kinetic’s is a little strange… and they are too thin comparing with Tamiya’s and a little bit narrowed…

img3597.jpg

img3598p.jpg

Cut according to the reference

img3593u.jpg

img3594p.jpg

img3595f.jpg

Normally, the kits which offer the option for opened brake in 1/48 scale like Kinetic and Hasegawa always instruct you to cut like straight, but actually around here, it’s not… so some things must be keep like these two small covers:

img3600o.jpg

The inside should be sanded to make it not that thick… and use different color to indicate left or right

img3601f.jpg

to be continued...

Edited by viperbite

RoCAF’s Block 20s use different type IFF antennas than the USAF and European MLU, as appearance they don’t have the bulged panel after the IFF. Sanded Tamiya’s original part and “borrowed†the better detailed IFF from Kinetic

img3585.jpg

img3602i.jpg

The vertical fin is from “Dangerous workshopâ€Â, a local Taiwan small workshop. Highly detailed and accurate.

img3604l.jpg

Tamiya’s F-16 is indeed a “C†version, the curve on the back is not suitable for the “A†version, so first us AB-putty to remake the curve.

img3588b.jpg

img3589nwu.jpg

As the IFF panel s sanded, I decide to borrow the aft part from my stack, which is grey here. The AN/APX-113s are also sanded to fit. Compare to the original part from Tamiya.

img3619.jpg

img3617s.jpg

img3633s.jpg

The hole thrilled here could help to cement the parts and also avoid the cement to leak

img3610z.jpg

img3611nws.jpg

According to the reference, the bulged panel inside the blue circle should be removed

img3612.jpg

Use AB-putty to thick the lower brake

img3613.jpg

Here… the panels should be modified a little

img3624.jpg

The two panels are not needed

img3625.jpg

Nor these

img3626.jpg

img3628.jpg

Fwd gear, hydraulic stick need to be lengthened

226_200907230213531.jpg

Diameter 1.5 mm, length 6 mm, also the hinge should be also modified

226_200907230213532.jpg

226_200907230213533.jpg

Main gears, hydraulic sticks are 2mm both in diameter and length.

226_200907230213534.jpg

226_200907230213535.jpg

The brakes…

226_200907230213537.jpg

226_200907230213536.jpg

Dude, your work is fantastic!!

I'm a big fan of F-16s myself and have four Hasegawa F-16As to build here as Israeli and European aircraft. I'll certainly learn a lot from you!!

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers,

Gustavo.

This should look good!! Great start! :cheers: 加油!!

Hey dude, thank you, also looking forward your 52+

COOL!

Your scribing is very neat and good..

Good start to your Falcon...will be back for more ofyour pics.

Thank you

HOLMES

Thanks man

Beautiful work, J. !

You've got me interested in your build already ...

Gregg

Thank you Gregg, I'll carry on

it is going to be a SUPER project...

I will follow it for sure!!!

Have a nice build m8!

Cheers

Panos

Hey, thank you Panos for you always supporting me

Good start! Looking forward to seeing the end result

LoL, I wish my build wouldn't keep you waiting so long...

What a beautiful work!

Thank you for your such nice comments

Dude, your work is fantastic!!

I'm a big fan of F-16s myself and have four Hasegawa F-16As to build here as Israeli and European aircraft. I'll certainly learn a lot from you!!

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers,

Gustavo.

Hi Gustavo, I'm always following your viper build, what a nice work you'r doing there. Definitely can learn a lot from you

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey Viper!

Beautiful clean work with your usual careful attention to detail! Another winner!!

Regards,

Pig

Thx Pete, really looking forward your UAE's Blk60.

Regards,

Jin

Hello viperbite,

Any news of progress on your project? I was very impressed with the conversion work and your attention to detail.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Yes... the project was restarted with other three viper-builds... let the pilots speak...

226_200912091020061.jpg

226_200912091020063.jpg

226_200912091020062.jpg

Regards,

Jin

Edited by viperbite
The hole thrilled here could help to cement the parts and also avoid the cement to leak

img3610z.jpg

Excellent idea :cheers: . It's simple things like this that make a build easier and neater that escape our attention.

Edited by Modelmkr

G'day Jin,

Thanks for the update and the excellent news that there's now three Vipers on the go! The pilots look quite content in their 'pits and I hope we can see more of your progress soon.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 8 months later...

The weathering on the Block 20 looks wonderful. Can you tell how you did the weathering on the gunship gray and at the bottom (around the intake)? Also can you explain what colors you used for the weathering on the top. Finally, can you tell what color you used for the radome? The whole model looks very convincing to me.

Thanks