72nd RAF Sentry AEW.1

Hi all,

as some of you may know, Big Ian just fell flat on His mush during yet another GB. The `Operations GB` ends on Sunday and my Heller Sentry (AWACS) for `Operation Telic` Iraq 2003, was close but no cigar.

Anyhow, this gives me a chance to condense the build thread and finish things off.

Kit was the old Heller E-3 AWACS in 1/72nd with Flightpath AND Eduard detail sets (you need both), True Details resin bulged wheel set, and the superb new Model Alliance RAF ISTARS decal sheets.

Although there are some duplications most of the Eduard and Flightpath PE cover different areas of the aircraft so both will be extensively used.

aew2.jpg

aew5.jpg

aew8.jpg

aew11.jpg

aew13.jpg

aew12.jpg

aew18.jpg

Even with two PE sets there is still plenty scratchbuilt details to be added.

More to follow.......

Fuselage is an utter `mare, wing halves, rotodome etc...go together easily.

I needed to fit tabs all around the fuselage just to get alignment close.

aew3.jpg

Still in some places the fit was horrendous.

aew15.jpg

A self-inflicted disaster that would see PE, superglue, paint, all stripped back to the bone.

aew22.jpg

aew23.jpg

Happier days..

aew24.jpg

aew26.jpg

sen7.jpg

And there`s more....

I made a `jig` with which to press the PE flat at the critical moment so it contacted the entire curveture of the plastic rotodome. I moulded it in resin from a spare rotodome.

sen9.jpg

sen10.jpg

OOHHHHH...careful!

aa1-1.jpg

Bagged it...YEEHAA!!

aa3.jpg

PE on and `jig` was invaluable, I can`t believe my bodging paid-off for once! :lol:

The nightmarish fuselage that stopped my progress to the GB finishing line.

sen13.jpg

aa2.jpg

aa4.jpg

I`m currently on an endless repeat loop of filling, sanding, painting, please when will it END!!! :pray:

On the upside, I have weathered and am decalling all other areas with Model Alliances` outstanding RAF ISTARS sheets. Superb quality, strong, thin, easy to work with. There are a few foibles in some of the minor decals but nothing that will detract from this excellent set that also gives you decals for ISTARS Nimrod and Sentinel.

Flightdeck crew are Hase ground crew and sports fans from the stands of Subutteo.

Almost there...almost there...

Cheers folks :cheers:

Ian

Edited by Ian Buick
Whoa ! :blink:

Very nice work with all the scratching involved ... :)

Keep at it Ian ...

Gregg

Cheers Gregg, nice of you to say so. My arm is sore from sanding....and You`d think that after buying THREE detail sets for the one model I wouldn`t need to do any scratchbuilding! :D

Anyhow, to break up the tedium of the fuselage problems, the engine pods got finished today, putting a smile back on the faces of The Smurfs.

aa5.jpg

Kit nacelles, Flightpath blades and collars, Model Alliance decals.

I`m going to celebrate this little milestone by having a large amount of beer down my local pub.

Cheers all, :cheers:

Ian

Appreciate the comments guys, thank you :pray:

There is a mass of decalling going on concurrent to the fuselage fixing. Most are so small that they can`t be picked out in this pic, but some are obvious.

aa6.jpg

It`ll soon just all be about the fuselage.....eeek!

Thanks for looking in. :salute:

Cheers, Ian

Thanks guys, the comments help when the build just ain`t playing ball. :)

However, today is another good news day with the main u/cart complete...

aa7.jpg

...and underside of rotodome. Some RAF rotodomes have been looking a bit distressed for some time due to their pretty intensive use, so I discoloured this one to reflect wear and tear. I attempted to recreate the `right-angled` marks that appear on some rotodomes which are presumably where the internal bulkheads are supporting the skin, but this got a little lost after varnishing. However, my dome still has a `lived in` look about it.

aa9.jpg

Note- The Smurfs dance with glee as the rotodome saga finally comes to an end.

Cheers all, :)

Ian

Oh yes..and topsides varnished also. Looked like the big `walkway` decal (the black rectangle) was going to misbehave but it was eventually convinced to calm down.

aa8.jpg

Note- Smurfs collapse in fits of unbounded joy.

Cheers all, :crying2:

Ian

Edited by Ian Buick
Looking great Ian

keep up the good work.. im checking here everyday to see if the smurfs have been working their magic

Cheers

Neo

HA thanks Neo...yes, they`ve told me to put my feet up whiles they fix my fuselage foul-ups. :monkeydance:

In the meantime I`ve decalled the starboard side of the fin with 23 Squadron markings, the port side carries 8 Squadrom markings.

aa10.jpg

Some background RAF Sentry info:

8 Sqn

http://8squadron.co.uk/

23 Sqn

http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/23squadron.cfm

I`m still having problems with MA`s stencil decals. Take for example decal No 38 which is a load of tiny white dots. I used them sparingly and sometimes not at all yet I have used them all and I still have the wings to do, I`m wondering if someone has miscounted the total number of stencils and come up with one overall total when there should be two totals for the two variants of seperate stencils that can be used.

Whatever the story, there are not enough of several decals to do the job demanded by the instruction sheet.

It`s alright though, The Smurfs will sort it next time I`m in the pub.

Cheers, Ian :thumbsup:

In the meantime I`ve decalled the starboard side of the fin with 23 Squadron markings, the port side carries 8 Squadrom markings.

is that so you can display it on one side and when you get tire of seeing the 8th you turn it around and voila ! a new plane from the 23rd !!

Just pulling your leg Ian

Build looks great

Cheers

Neo

This is some cracking work Ian - I never realised that big ole Sentry was such a pig of a kit.

Am now feeling even more inspired to do my "in-service" Nimrod AEW.3 after I picked up lots of goodies at Telford :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, appreciated! :beer4:

Progress has been slow recently, (Smurf`s on vehicle detail, me on lager detail), but the fuselage is almost ready to decal.

In the meantime...................

aa11.jpg

aa12.jpg

BIIGG decals to put on upperwings from Model Alliance but they behaved perfectly, nice one. :thumbsup:

All that stands between me and gravy is Mr Heller`s House of Crazy Fuselage Stuff.

Oh...and putting on the wings.

Cheers all, :cheers:

WAAHOO, fuselage finally ready for the next stage!

aa13.jpg

The Smurfs were at last ready for a rather large amount of alchohol.

Please excuse me whiles I gently rock back and forth in the corner for a while.

Cheers, Ian :P

Congrats :D

Now get to it! wanna see more pics of progress!

Cheers!

Happy to oblige Aigore :lol:

aa14.jpg

Almost done with the gizillion decals, now I`ve got to put the whole thing together.

Cheers, Ian

Looks Great Ian :wasntme:

Can't wait to see the rest.

:cheers:

/Bosse

:yahoo: Almost there Ian, looking good.
Nice updates and particularly like the dome and the two little figures next to it.

Appreciated guys, home stretch now...(surely). :monkeydance:

aa15.jpg

Decals complete, fuselage varnished, cockpit masks off, just access doors to go.

Cheers, Ian :cheers: