1/48 IDF/AF F-22I 'Shamar'

Hello y'all. With my F-15SG more or less finished now, it's now time for me to turn my attention to my next WIP, an IAF F-22. The F-22 is one of my many favorites out there and I've also loved the IAF paint scheme a lot. Following FAR148's impressive A-10I 'Chazir', I've decided to come up with my own Israeli version of the most feared combat aircraft in the world today, the magnificent F-22 Raptor! I went in search for a suitable Hebrew name for the Desert Raptor and settled for 'Shamar', which translates literally into Watchman or Guard. Which sounds rather appropriate and cool given the F-22's primary mission that is Air Dominance in the defense of a nation.

I intend to, like the IAF always does, modify the stock kit slightly by adding little bits and bumps on any part of the fuselage that deems fit to cater to IAF requirements. As F-22 sales are still banned by Congress, I shall let my imagination run wild in my modifications of this kit. Which is always good and most importantly, FUN!

Here's what I intend to start with. :)

The Academy F-22A Raptor which my dad bought from Hong Kong about 2 months ago.

academy12212reviewbg_box.jpg

IDF schemes. Will be loosely based on the F-16I and F-15I aircrafts

f-16d_profile1.png

Of course, Kinetic F-16I decals. Those are printed by Sky's Decals and should work well. Probably going for a Bat Squadron bird. But I intend to use a mix of decals from the F-16 sheet and kit decals.

kin_48006_decals1.jpg

And of course, no IAF aircraft is complete without any specific Israeli weapons! 2 Skunkmodels Workshop Python 4 missiles shall compliment the Shamar's off-boresight kill capability!

skunk_48001_parts4.jpg

I shall be commencing the first assemblies soon!

Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by!

:cheers:

Edited by Qian
The Academy F-22A Raptor which my dad bought from Hong Kong about 2 months ago.

:explode:Hmph... Nice paps ya ought to have! Say, wouldn't yer paps want to be my paps as well, Qian? :explode: Last time I recall my old man care 'bout me was almost a year ago. He called on the phone, inviting me to dinner; I arrived to his home 'n' he was watchin' the tube. I asked him whut 'bout dinner, he said he had already eaten, so I should go to the kitchen 'n' scrap the bottom of the pot... :sunrevolves:

By the way, mate; have ya got any picture of where the decal of the bat is supposed to go on the Sufa, by chance?

Cheers, Qian. Ask yer paps, ya hear?

Unc²

WOW! So excited to see so many of you guys showing interest in my Shamar. :rofl: I've yet to commence the first assemblies as I've been busy with school lately and finally wrapping up my F-15SG build. I should commence this build somewhere around next week so if you check back around that period of time, I should have done something by then.

And btw Tomcat RIO, nice Shamar you've got there! Yup, my build will look a little like yours, but the camo on mine will be a lot more like the F-15I Ra'am aircraft with some additional lumps and bumps protuding out of the fuselage.

Here's a short list of my planned modifications for the Shamar. It's not yet been finalized so I may add or remove some things..

- Add an IRST sensor similar to the MiG-29s near the cockpit. Will enable the Shamar to track enemy jets by their heat signatures without giving away its own position, therefore remaining totally invisible to radar.

- Add additional RWR sensors on the tail booms next to the elevators.

- Add ECM fairings near the canopy sill similar to the F-15SGs.

- DASH HMD sensor on the canopy.

- Make a new GPS antenna on top of the aircraft.

- Other small antennas sticking out of the fuselage to specifically meet Israeli requirements.

- Add radar-absorbing strengthening plates anywhere on the aircraft which deems fit.

Do stay tuned and thanks for checking out! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Pfffffff!!!!!!

Updates after a LONG while. Well, I apologize for not being able to bring you guys some promised updates which is because of my busy schedule lately. I'm one busy student! So with all that school stuff and activities finally aside in a 2 week break, I did manage to get some work done on the Shamar a couple of days ago. Given my busy schedule, I foresee that this build is gonna be another long term one just like the F-15SG and it'll probably take the remaining of 2010 to be completed. I won't be tackling the major blunders of this Academy kit though I'm aware of them. But I might wanna correct the nose issue as it's rather glaring to me. I'm not an F-22 nut so I don't know a lot of the plane. I mean it's not as much as I know the Strike Eagle but definitely not as bad as the Chinese J-10 which I have very little to no knowledge about! As for the remaining issues of this kit, I have no issues about them and I can still live with it.

So I started off with the cockpit as with the instructions always start. Was not going to waste any time adding additional details on so I just painted the tub and seat all black. The IAF always blackout their cockpits in order to aid in NVG equipment. Some dry brushing with silver color was good enough to punch out the consoles and buttons and also gives a nice touch for adding some weathering in the cockpits. As for the MFDs, was not going to have a pilot this time round so I had the displays switched off. Some Clear Green over the black screen was good enough to do the trick. I plan to have the Shamar sitting on alert, ready to fly off to Iran or Syria in a short notice so I think I might lower the flaps on this one as well.

CIMG2051.jpg

CIMG2053.jpg

CIMG2055.jpg

The IAF always plays dirty when it comes to modifying their aircrafts to cater to their needs. Here, I've let my imagination run wild and added some additional features. IAF jets are always made to survive so I've added an Electronic Warfare (EW) capability to the Shamar. Besides primarily being an air superiority fighter, the F-22I has a secondary EW capability to jam enemy SAM sides completely, rendering them completely useless and no longer a threat to the aircraft. I scratch made some EW fairings on the side of the canopy sill to compliment the EW capability of the F-22I. In addition to the Shamar's impressive EW capability, the aircraft has also received an advanced Elbit IRST sensor on the right side just in front of the canopy. This allows the Shamar to track enemy fighters via their heat signatures without giving away its own position. Use of radar emits a lot of energy and could possibly give away the Shamar's position. Using of this sensor also does not require the pilot to open the side bay doors while tracking enemy jets in 'Uncaged' mode. Therefore reducing the Shamar's radar signature further.

To further increase the Shamar's survivability in combat, 2 additional Israeli-made RWR antennas have been mounted on the wing tips. This will warn the pilot if he is being tracked and tell him what type of missile is locking on him i.e. a radar-guided AAM or a heat seeking missile, and the necessary actions needed to stay alive. Don't forget the F-22I has a Python 4 capability and can knock enemy jets out of the sky even if they are right behind the aircraft! Such additional features make the Shamar more potent than its American counterparts. And is no aircraft any adversary wants to meet in combat.

CIMG2056.jpg

CIMG2058.jpg

CIMG2059.jpg

In fact, most of the additional parts came from the Kinetic F-16 kit and Academy F-15s. :wub:

Ok, that's all for today. Hope you've enjoyed this update! :salute:

:thumbsup:

Thank you guys. I did get some queries about the additional features on the Shamar that it will compromise its stealth characteristics. So I shall post my answers here to save all the fuss of replying PMs one by one. Now besides having an EW feature for its own defence, the F-22I can make use of this capability to knock out all the latest Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile systems that Iran or Syria may possess, making them completely blinded to other non-stealthy friendly aircrafts like the F-15 and F-16. You can't see me, you can't hit me. It is also believed that the U.S. would sell a downgraded version of the F-22 to Israel. While retaining most of its avionics and stealth, Israel will still be on its own to fill in the missing gaps with its own technology to meet its own requirements in the near future. The F-22's exact stealth characteristics is still classified and I won't want to talk about it. But all the additional stuffs I've added will be of radar absorbing materials, therefore minimizing its radar signature as far as possible. Why the need for RWRs? Well, take a look 11 years back. What shot down the F-117 during the Kosovo War? An SA-3 missile. Which is supposely a missile that is not as advanced as the SA-6s and SA-8s at that time. According to NATO commands at that time, the Yugoslav air defenses were able to detect F-117s while operating their radars on long wavelengths. Also the stealth characteristics of the aircraft will be further compromised by opening the bay doors or if the aircraft got wet. Taking this into account, the need for RWRs is imperative even for a stealth aircraft. Considering that the U.S. may deliver F-22s without RWRs, Israel has to install its own. With stealth and EW going hand in hand, even when the F-22 opens its bay doors, the blinded air defense radars would still be unable to detect the F-22. So the F-22I will make up for a little loss of stealth with state-of-the-art EW capability. Hope this answers all your queries.

Some more progress to report thus far. These past few days have been spent painting white, white and MORE WHITE!!! Dang, I hate white! It just takes forever to do!! Especially doing it with a BRUSH! ;) But anyway, I've managed to finish up the weapon bays and intakes. But I've yet to paint up the bay doors so I foresee more WHITE!! :wacko:

Here's my attempt in painting out the wirings in the weapons bay. Don't look too closely though.. :)

CIMG2060.jpg

CIMG2074.jpg

What I've managed to do so far...

CIMG2067.jpg

The humongous gaps at the intake joints had to be filled.

CIMG2068.jpg

Did a little reworking on the kit's nose to make it more beaky. I used MarkW's build as a reference to how he did it.

CIMG2070.jpg

And finally, sometime a little more interesting. I've came up with the proposed paint scheme on the F-22I. The scheme is loosely based on the F-15I Ra'am and F-16I Sufa. It's not yet been finalized so I may tweak the scheme a little bit here and there. B represents Brown, G represents Green and S represents Sand. The 3 colors on all IAF jets.

CIMG2071.jpg

CIMG2072.jpg

CIMG2073.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks for watching! :wave:

Hi all,

I've managed to get some major works done on my Shamar today. The airframe is up and I've painted the 2 tail planes in the IAF colors for a little look-see. This is my first time ever doing the IAF scheme on my models and I'm pretty excited with the way it's coming up. I'm aiming to do as much as I can now as I'll be away for the weekend on a little retreat in neighboring Malaysia with a few of my friends. Even then, I'm happy with my current progress. Because once school reopens and with projects piling up, I won't be able to find a lot of time to finish my F-22I. But I still love long-term builds a lot as I'm in no rush to finish my builds. After all, I build for my own pleasure and document them here for your enjoyment as well. And a what-if build just makes things even more fun! :)

DSC00112.jpg

Gosh.. I'm so excited for the Shamar. Can't wait to see her all painted up! :)

Sorry for the picture quality though, my dad just took the digital cam and I'll have to stick to my camera phone for the time being.

Edited by Qian

Looking good, Qian ... :)

That's what's fun about a What If model, the technical side of things work 'because you say so ...' ! :)

Have a fun weekend ...

How soon does school bedin for you ?

Gregg

Thanks guys! :cheers:

the technical side of things work 'because you say so ...' ! :D

How soon does school bedin for you ?

:lol: Well, you've got to be realistic too in your mods eh?

School will resume for me the week after the next. So it's not that much time.. :wasntme:

Thanks Aggressor! :D Anyone else thinks the camo is fine? I kinda think the model needs a little more of the Sand color.. But it could be just me. :unsure:

Hi Qian, A little more sand would be fine I think.

But the green is wrong. That green is for the older aircraft such as Mirage, Skyhawks, Phantom etc.

The F-16 and F-15 use a lighter green, which I think would be more appropriate for the F-22.

The FS no is: 34424, avaliable from Xtracolor No X166, but Humbrol 90 is also a good match.

Otherwise you're doing fine Qian.

:wave:

/Bosse