This is my second commision build, so the first a Wyvern must have been ok :pray: .

Sufa001.jpg

This time it's Kinetics 1/48 F-16 Sufa which is used by the Israeli Airforce. I actually have this one in my stash as well. Picked up from Cosford at the beginning of the the year, if I remember correctly. I only brought it because of the amazing colour schemes the Israeli's paint their aircraft in.

I had a quick look on here to get an insight on the kit before I started it. For a new kit, I was more than a little suprised at the amount of putty being used. So with a little trepidation off I went.

I started of on the prominent avionic spine the Sufa has fitted. Careful test fitting and only a little sanding yielded this result, which I'm quite pleased with. And not a drop of filler was used. Other than the stuff you can see on the cockpit side, where there where two sink marks.

Sufa002.jpg

Sufa003.jpg

I then taped it to the main fuselage for a test fit, happy with that!

Sufa004.jpg

Next is the intake trunking to see if I can get a seamless tube with minimum fuss.

Nige.

Well the pits nearly done just the throttles to add and 4 tiny pieces of etch. First time I have used the pre painted PE. Can't say i like it. The colours are right off. To the point that I masked off the black areas and resprayed the grey as it was a funny shade of purple! The Pics also look blurred. But there not, it's the actual etch thats blurred! I also don't like the flat depthless effect it gives.

Anyway here's the pics judge for yourself.

Sufa006.jpg

Sufa007.jpg

Sufa008.jpg

Sufa009.jpg

Nige.

A few more progress shots to be going on with. I really don't understand why this kit gets a slating for fit, I have only had to fill one gap so far.

Sufa010.jpg

I've left the sprue on the rear to make sure everything stays in line.

Sufa011.jpg

The pit doesnt look to bad once it all comes together. Still need to add the HUD repeater screen.

Sufa012.jpg

Nothing special in this pic. I intend to paint up the MLG bay once all the fusealge is painted up. Less hassle that way.

Sufa013.jpg

Heres that filler I had to fill a gap with. It's the white line. Unbuildable, it's unbuildable, I tell's ya!!

Sufa014.jpg

Intake added, no problems here either.

Well the major thing is the fuselage is buttoned up. Downhill from here.

Nige.

Got all the various lumps and bumps fitted, which cover the aiframe. Along with the conformal tanks. Which give it that bad ***, don't screw with me F-16 on steriods look.

All pretty easy so far, with no major problems. I did mention that I hadn't had any fit problems and had only used a minor amount of filler. Thinking about it, the reason for that is the amount of time I have taken dryfitting and making sure pieces fit before reaching for the glue.

This is where it's at, at the moment. Ready for a primer. I thought I would show you it un-primed as then you can see where I did use any filler or plastic to fill gaps. You will notice that I have also cut off the lower locating lug for the nose cone. I did this as it fouls the fit of the nose and without it. It's so much easier to sand it all level.

Sufa015.jpg

Sufa021-1.jpg

Sufa022-1.jpg

The white strips you can see in the next two pics are strips of plasticard. I glued these to the cheek pieces and then test fitted a lot, sanding where required till they were a perfect fit.

Sufa016.jpg

Sufa017.jpg

If you don't they fall well below the the level required. You could alternatively put some packing behind them of the required thickness then fill the gaps, but this just seemed neater and easier. Not neccesarilly quicker mind. Heres the gap the cheek pieces will fall into if you don't do something about it.

Sufa018.jpg

A dab of filler on the tail, spine insert and fuselage insert. Nothing major though.

Sufa023-1.jpg

Sufa019.jpg

So the workshop is nice and warm and there's some spraying to be done.

WOW :jaw-dropping:

Another Sufa.

Great Start, I'm going to follow this one with great interest.

I really enjoyed the Kinetic kit when I built mine earlier this year.

Link to my build: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=200112

I'll certainly build me one or two more.

Good luck with yours.

/Bosse

Bloody 'ell Cop that is some Sufa!!! by the looks of the 'pit mate. Are ya gonna wrap it securely and send it to me when you're finished :) :D , :blink: didn't bloody think so...oh well I'll just 'ave to do me own. All kidding aside I'll be following this one daily...so don't keep me waiting......k matey.

• 3 weeks later...

Well dragged myself out of my sick bed and managed to do some work on it again. I got the pre-shading on just before I was struck down by the piggy flu.

Nothing really exciting but it does help with learning your way around with your airbrush.

Sufa034.jpg

Sufa035.jpg

Sufa038.jpg

I was then going to mask it up and do the main colours. But then laziness took over and I decided to go freehand instead. I'm really chuffed how it came out.

Sufa024.jpg

Sufa025.jpg

Sufa028.jpg

Sufa029.jpg

For those that don't know. Th leading edges on the F-16 actually point up, when the aircraft is at rest. Weird eh?

Sufa031.jpg

Sufa032.jpg

Sufa027.jpg

Sufa033.jpg

So what do you think. It was painted using Mr Hobby Acrylics and Tamiya thinners. One question though. How long does it take for this paint to completely harden off?

Nige.

Not intentionally no. I used the Israeli green from the Mr Hobby Range. (H312) which on reflection is a tad dark. Should have used H314 Bummer! So the question is do I leave it. Or attempt to rectify it and chance ballings it all up?

Decisions, decisions.

Sod it I'm going to leave as is, the post shading will lighten it anyway.

Two days, thankyou.

Nige.

Well the pits nearly done just the throttles to add and 4 tiny pieces of etch. First time I have used the pre painted PE. Can't say i like it. The colours are right off. To the point that I masked off the black areas and resprayed the grey as it was a funny shade of purple! The Pics also look blurred. But there not, it's the actual etch thats blurred! I also don't like the flat depthless effect it gives.

Anyway here's the pics judge for yourself.

Sufa006.jpg

Sufa007.jpg

Sufa008.jpg

Sufa009.jpg

Nige.

I also got blurred PE last time, it is a shame for it seems that some of the sets are really clear and nice!

FO

And in the correct colour........

Sufa038_001.jpg

Sufa039.jpg

Sufa040.jpg

Sufa041.jpg

Sufa043.jpg

Sufa045.jpg

The lighter green is actually Xtracrylix Sky. Which shall be known henceforth as Xtraclog!!

Well I'll put that to one side for a couple of days, whilst the paint fully cures. In the meantime its onto the undercart and missiles. Then I'll return to it and detail paint all the little bits that need doing.

Nige

Edited by Cop

Done a bit more work, mainly the detail painting of the little bits dotted around the airframe. Still need to do the bird slicers and the tips of the sensors on the leading edge. The fuel tanks are just a friction fit at the moment and the nose cone held on with blu-tac.

Sufa046.jpg

Sufa047.jpg

Sufa048.jpg

Sufa049.jpg

Sufa051.jpg

Sufa050.jpg

Sufa053.jpg

Sufa052.jpg

I have put a layer of Klear on and once that has hardend off over night, I will mask of and get the wheelbays all painted up. Hope you like.

Nige.

Awesome work!! You need the 600 gal fuel tanks from the barkeet!! Great work!!!

If it wasn't a commision build, which he wants OOB. I would do that. But as it is, they are going onto my Sufa. :)

Nige.