1/48 Hasegawa F-18C 30th Anniversary

Hello, I think I am finally done with this one! It has been a bumpy ride but learned quite a bit. All in all, I really liked this anniversary scheme, but I couldn't do justice to the real thing; just way too many issues with my model if you can see it up close.

Progress pics are here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=258352&st=0

The complete set of final pics: Studio pics

As always, I am open to your critiques, they provide some of the best learning opportunities for me.

IMG_6384.jpg

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

Edited by Janissary

"phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheew" (wolf whistle sound) another belter !! both builds are stunners. In all seriousness the aircraft is faultless! the pilot not easy to paint but could be a little better with the creases/ shadows and highlights made to pop. That is all I can say but it in no way detracts from the excellence presented here!

best

Mark

Thank you very much all, I appreciate it. Mark, your observation about the pilot is spot-on.

Incidentally, I wanted to start a small discussion here. Do you think I would've been better off not applying a wash at all? I am torn between not seeing the details versus what I see on the real thing. First, here are some pictures of the real thing:

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photos/164630:1.html

And here are three pictures from my WIP, right before washing:

IMG_6360.jpg

IMG_6356.jpg

IMG_6354.jpg

I guess I had these options:

(1) Don't apply a wash at all.

(2) Apply a much lighter shade of gray as a wash

(3) The current result (80% white + 20%black)

In retrospect, (1) and (2) would have been better. Confounding the issue is the quite inconsistent nature of the wash I ended up achieving (too many layers of white seemed to have shallowed out the panel lines). In your opinion, which of these options is the best for this particular aircraft?

Somebody on a different forum suggested another idea:

(4)Apply a dark/grey or black wash 'prior' to the last few coats of white, thereby allowing these last few coats naturally subdue and blend the effect of the wash.

I have never tried this last option before, and sounded like a great idea. Anyway, since this is the critique corner, I am open to any and all opinions.

Edited by Janissary

I think is a GREAT model and as "one picture worth a thousand words" , I have nothing else to say!

Now regarding the "wash", I understand your concerns, I am against realy "strong" washses on models it makes them look like "cartoons", and I always prefer something "grey" rather than "black". In your case I can't see anything "wrong".

I don`t think it would look so great without the panel line wash. I think the application of the wash as you chose -- it really works. I agree on not using pure black unless you really want a much more pronounced contrast.

That option 4 idea -- maybe worth a try? I would go for 100% completion of the paintwork, apply wash and then just a gentle mist from the airbrush of the airframe colour to fade out the panel lines. But in all honesty im with Zark here -- nothing wrong at all it really works here!

best

Mark

Nice work! The extra efforts paid off!

I think it looks good the way it is. I'll give you my .02 since you asked:

Washes are a funny thing. In reality most washes are way overdone...including yours. Look at this pic. But I still like it the way you did it so don't take that as a bad thing. Here's why. For whatever reason darker panel lines tend to make the model look busier and more visually interesting. Maybe the darker panel lines make up for the smaller scale of the object...I don't know.

If you're not going to wash the panel lines then post shading the lines can have a similar effect. But again it may not be totally "accurate" although accuracy, when it comes to weathering, can be very subjective.

Most model panel lines tend to be wider (in scale) and have duller edges. On the real planes the lines are very fine and very well defined because often times there are two objects, like compartment doors, with very crisp 90 degree edges coming together. As a result you see a very fine space between the panels...not dirty panel lines. So they have very fine but dark lines which, often times, can only be seen when close to the plane.

Its interesting because a model done without the lines seems to be plain but the full sized real aircraft looks completely normal.

The panel line wash, whether its accurate or not, is the new standard for model building. I guarantee if you hadn't done a wash most people in here would say that you should have or that they think it would have looked better, although your opinion on your build is the one that really matters. I built one of the Tamiya F-16s with the Arkansas ANG decals and didn't use a wash. It was 100% accurate per the reference photos of the real plane, which showed no lines. But guess what the main criticism was? You guessed it.

Now there definitely is a line and I've seen people cross it. Like panel lines drawn in with micron pens for example. That makes the model look like something from an Anime show.

Thank you everybody, it's very interesting for me to hear your opinions because it helps me calibrate my views (which tend to swing wildly). Your comments reinforced my views on modeling in general. Seems like there are two camps on this: One that views modeling as the pursuit of accuracy, the other accepting non-realism (artistic license?) as a way to enhance the viewing experience. Even though I think I want to be in the first group, I frequently find myself in the second one, and hence the dilemma :)/>/> Regardless, I think I have done so many things wrong in this model (both accuracy-wise and artistically), so this is not a good platform for me to discuss this issue philosophically. I guess what I saw in my model prompted me to express my confusion...

I was recently reading this page, where Mr. Barry Numerick mentions something interesting:

http://z15.invisionfree.com/72nd_Aircraft/index.php?showtopic=1958&st=15

"Weathering is very much a matter of individual taste. Some like accentuated panel lines, others don't. A wise modeler once told me that a real plane shrunk down to 1/72 scale would be boring, while a model increased to actual size would look like a caricature." That quite nicely explains my sentiments as well, and aggress well with what you guys brought up! Zark, Mark, Lothar and Fly-n-hi: You very well articulated the differences in scale and how the wash should generally look like. Great input.

Edited by Janissary

Great looking build(s)!!! :woot.gif:

As for the topic of conversation, nice to hear both sides of the spectrum on it. As for this plane, you probably could have got away with it either way seeing as how you have the gloss finish. Those finishes usually don't take well to dirt, and if there's any apparent, they clean up super easy with rags. I, like many others here, like the look off the accentuated panel lines, as I think it does give the model a chance to show itself off...espeically if it's been designed and built right. What's all the use of putting the detail into it if it's next to impossible to see once painted?? For subtle pane lines, I've recently started airbrushing wash onto my builds in light, random passings and using bleed air to dry the wash. Then go back and remove the excess with a paper towel or sponge, and it looks pretty decent. The reason I'm liking this method better than ones that I've tried in the past is because it doesn't seem to stain so much surrounding areas outside of the panel lines themselves, and with it being random coatings in passing...it kind of helps to sell the effect. But you've got a good one on your hands here. About the only thing that really caught my eye at all, was I would have maybe used a different color gray to do the pilots regulator. Or a quick dry brush on the hose itself would have helped to offset this. But outside of that, you've got yourself a winner. Great looking build, and topic. :woot.gif:

Thank you Scapilot. Interesting technique you described. I might have to try that out sometime. Good catch with the pilot as well. I suck at hand brushing, and can't even begin to comprehend how figure painters do what they do :)

Edited by Janissary

EXCELLENT rendition of this jet.

I had a chance to see it up close and it's a pretty awesome looking bird, and you nailed the look of it.

Your VFA-102 jet is pretty sweet too...gotta see what you could do with a VFA-103 or VFA-11 bird.

Thank you very much Gonzalo and Brian. I certainly recommend FT decals for this. I think Hasegawa's decals would have a very tough time conforming to the numerous complex surfaces. FT's thin decals produces much better results in my opinion.

Brian, I think I will take a break from bugs for a while. However, out of the squadrons I would love to build, my favorites are:

Low-viz VFA-113

and

Low-viz VFA-41

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

To be honest, you've done a wonderful job here. If you're asking for honesty, then I think this particular model would have been better without the wash.

I say this because your painting of the white is so well done, the details can be seen via natural shadows. It's awesome.

To be honest, you've done a wonderful job here. If you're asking for honesty, then I think this particular model would have been better without the wash.

I say this because your painting of the white is so well done, the details can be seen via natural shadows. It's awesome.

Thank you Loki, your help has been great during the build. I too have come to the conclusion that it might have looked better without a wash, or a much lighter colored one. I kinda liked the idea of 'pre-washing' (#4 idea on the previous page) but will have to try that on a future model.

I always welcome honesty and prefer these critical observations. It helps me learn a lot and gives me something to strive for in the next build. Also, since I tend to easily disassociate myself from my models once I am done (hard to explain how or why), I like critiquing my own models and welcome everybody else's input also.