B-2 Spirit. Is it real?

Hey there everybody!

I'm posting this cos' I'm interested in discussion about a model that I'm building.

It's a B-2 Spirit. In an 1/48 scale.

Maybe theres someone who has an interest in may work.

Welcome indeed.

Given that the only kits of this beast are the 1/144 Revell (a re-worked snapper) or the 1/72 Testors erm...thing (which some folk can do wonders with, admittedly), you are probably better off scratching it!

Looking forward to catching the progress! :thumbsup:

Welcome indeed.

Given that the only kits of this beast are the 1/144 Revell (a re-worked snapper) or the 1/72 Testors erm...thing (which some folk can do wonders with, admittedly), you are probably better off scratching it!

Looking forward to catching the progress! :thumbsup:/>

There's a 1/200 Dragon kit which doesn't look bad. But the F-117 that comes with it is atrocious.

Ok, then.

Some story about how it began. Some half a year ago I was surfing thru the web just to find something interesting and new in modelling world and occasionally found pictures of a B-2 Spirit papermodel in a 1/33 scale made by a polish guy. So, then I thought, that it would be nice to make it from plastic (polysthirol). I began to search the net after that papermodel, but didn't find it. At that time I wasn't able to buy it (The cost of it is about 20 Euros or 30$), because of shipping problems (I'm from Ukraine). But finally I've found a downloadable scan copy of that model. And the work began...

If someone is interested, here are the pics of that papermodel built in Poland.

http://only-paper.ru/forum/32-8809-1

I thought that it won't be a very difficult work to build such a model from plastic based upon that papermodel. But in a 1/48 scale.

So I converted the scans to a different scale using Photoshop (I've calculated the size of it), and printed it to paper.

Then I cut out all the parts and used them as stencil. I glued them down to the plastic sheet, then cut it out again with plastic.

Here's what come out:

do31.jpg

s4p1.jpg

xl7i.jpg

w9q0.jpg

What do you think about it?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English. I prefer not to use any translators.

Edited by -Sabik-

Wow - welcome aboard! And what an entrance!!

I have to say, you needn't worry about your alleged bad English - it's perfectly understandable and for what may get lost in translation, the pictures certainly make up for it

Your a brave man to build a 1/48 B2 - this will be HUGE! I take it you bought stocks in Evergreen huh? ;)

Well, I'll watch along that's for sure. :popcorn:

Speaking of watching this build up, may I suggest moving it to the "in Progress" section? Seems more applicable. Up to you :)

MH

WOW! :jaw-dropping:

Excellent work! This looks like a major undertaking. I am going to check your progress here regulary. This thing almost looks like it could fly!

I've been playing with the idea of using card stock models for designing flying r/c models. But building a plasic model this way never was apparent to me, as almost every aircraft is available either injection molded, or in resin. Of course, if you want a 1/48 scale B-2, you are stuck. Speaking about 1/48 scale... now where did I put those files for the card stock B-52?

I've got plans for a flying r/c B-2, which is not really scale. With this papermodel, I think I can do some "plan-bashing" and craft a proven airfoil into this model :whistle:

Edited by Lancer512

~Sabik~...that thing is STUNNING!!! Please continue to take photos as you continue this build. I would love to see this thing completed and see what it looks like. It looks to be a MONSTER (size-wise) when it's done. I could only DREAM of doing something like this. I can barely even finish the kits that I have where the parts have been already pre-made for me. What you are doing is incredible.

Edited by The_Animal

Thre are some problems I faced during the building of the sceleton of the plane. Some lines of the body are not respond to the pictures I have. Mostly the underpart.

I'm going to post some pics about the progress later at the evening.

As I promised. The progress pics!

The top part of the body without wings.

ypks.jpg

b2p5.jpg

smcc.jpg

j2pj.jpg

4iju.jpg

And this is how I'm doing the whole thing.

mmbv.jpg

As seen I'm using 0.8 mm thick plastic sheets and I have to glue them together, cos it's more difficult to cut out a precise curved part from a thicker one. I've tried.

And there is no other way to make the work easier. At least not for me. Because I don't have a comfort place to build models yet. I am building this one at my kithcen table.

Waiting for some comments.

P.S. If anyone have some references about the topic, I would appriciate that.

I'm planning to use the same material for skinning the frame. Plastic.

It is not necessary to fill the frame because of the thckness of the material.

It won't sag.

After that I will sandpaper the body.