F-4 being used against ISIS

http://www.janes.com/article/46514/iranian-phantom-jet-strikes-the-islamic-state-in-iraq#.VHyJiDk9iu4.twitter

Who would have thought that in 2014 we'd be seeing F-4's dropping bombs?

I thought Turkey occasionally decides to bomb the Kurds (you know, the same folks that we are trying to protect from ISIS). Presumably they would also be using F-4's for this task.

I thought Turkey occasionally decides to bomb the Kurds (you know, the same folks that we are trying to protect from ISIS). Presumably they would also be using F-4's for this task.

Yeah, I read it was the PKK and they were using F-4's and F-16's.....but no pictures so who knows what exactly was used.

Edited by fulcrum1

S. Korea, Greece, Turkey, Israel.... all current F-4 users....

I thought Israel retired their last Phantoms around 2004 or 2005.

My understanding is that, outside of Iran obviously, the remaining Phantom users are Greece, Japan, Turkey and South Korea.

I thought Israel retired their last Phantoms around 2004 or 2005.

My understanding is that, outside of Iran obviously, the remaining Phantom users are Greece, Japan, Turkey and South Korea.

I may have messed up by adding Israel. I'm surprised that Japan is still a user though.

I can't believe the USAF ever retired this fine aircraft, they must have hated it like the A-10

Yes, they were so absolutely bitter at the Phantom that they took out their frustrations on it by turning a bunch into target drones. ;)

Of course, if you turned A-10s into target drones, they might just be reusable after a hit if you kept the armor in them. :lol:

Of course, if you turned A-10s into target drones, they might just be reusable after a hit if you kept the armor in them. :lol:/>

The beloved Hog would make a great target (if you are training your pilots to shoot down something in the performance range of your average Cessna)!

:)

Yes, they were so absolutely bitter at the Phantom that they took out their frustrations on it by turning a bunch into target drones. ;)/>

Of course, if you turned A-10s into target drones, they might just be reusable after a hit if you kept the armor in them. :lol:/>

Totally OT but here is the ultimate target drone. Not that fast but at 529' long, it sure is big...

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/this-destroyer-is-the-worlds-largest-remote-controlled-1663603212