NEW ! STRATO CAD PARTS ! 3D Printed MIRAGE 2000 WHEELS &

NEW ! STRATO CAD PARTS ! 3D PRINTED WHEELS & TIRES at 1/48 for the MIRAGE 2000 ! (for Kinetic, Italeri, Heller, Monogram).

Good news for all lovers of the Mirage 2000 ! I have just designed a wheel kit set that's hyper-detailed and will be 3D printed for the Mirage 2000 !

Designed specifically for the KINETIC kit (which have tires that are noticeably sub-size) but also for all the other Mirage 2000 kits, my new very detailed tire parts include all the visible inscriptions and numbers that are visible at that scale as well as many other details, such as the brakes.

I did a quick survey and found out that there was nothing that is currently on offer that displayed the same level of detail.

More accessories for the Mirage 2000 are coming soon, from STRATOSPHERE MODELS.

These are the very first STRATO CAD PARTS kits from Stratosphere Models and they will be available for 3D printing from various sources soon.

Stay tuned, because i will soon post the links where my new parts can be ordered and 3D printed.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

All drawings are Copyright Stratosphere Models.

NOUVEAUPNEUMIRAGE2000REDESIGNDELAROUETrainPrincipal33.jpg

NOUVEAUPNEUMIRAGE2000REDESIGNDELAROUETrainPrincipal4.jpg

NOUVEAUPNEUMIRAGE2000REDESIGNDELAROUETrainPrincipal29.jpg

vjgugkg.jpg

uhyfj.jpg

vgutiyg.jpg

t7yioiyy.jpg

jhhiyikhk.jpg

CorrigePneuMirage2000ReDesign.jpg

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Site web: http://www.picturetrail.com/stratospheremodels

Edited by Stratospheremodels

And the front wheels:

PNEUAVANT-MICHELINAIRXMirage2000avecRibs23.jpg

PNEUAVANT-MICHELINAIRXMirage2000avecRibs25.jpg

cut78yy.jpg

ae7r8o.jpg

77678986.jpg

Stay tuned, because i will soon post the links where my new parts can be ordered and 3D printed.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

All drawings are Copyright Stratosphere Models.

Ya, sure, why not. I already dropped a sh1tload of cash on R-Flight resin bits for something I'll probably never get around to building; why stop there?! I don't really like rubber tires anyway...

Looking forward to pics of the actual product!

I did a quick survey and found out that there was nothing that is currently on offer that displayed the same level of detail.

Hello Stephane,

I think I already read a similar comment about your 1/48 Mirage Atar exhaust... did it make it to production? Are images of the resin part available?

Anyway those CAD images look terrific, it will be interesting to see how this translates to the final part (detail restitution, surface finish, etc).

The CAD master certainly looks impressive, but if any of that detail will be visible, you need extremely fine resolution/layer thickness, and that means the parts will be fairly expensive. Even then, there will be some steps and possible faceted surfaces that will require primer and cleanup. A better solution may be to print these wheels with the best resolution possible, then clean them up and cast them in resin. I certainly look forward to seeing some good closeups of primed 3D printed parts so we all can see what we would actually be getting for our money.

Jens

Ya, sure, why not. I already dropped a sh1tload of cash on R-Flight resin bits for something I'll probably never get around to building; why stop there?! I don't really like rubber tires anyway...

Looking forward to pics of the actual product!

Hi ChippyWho,

I am sorry to hear about that i can i certainly understand that. Next time you see a new modern jet kit, wait for my stuff to come out and you'll save ;)

Oh, and just wait to see what's coming. I am uploading more pictures in a moment.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Hello Stephane,

I think I already read a similar comment about your 1/48 Mirage Atar exhaust... did it make it to production? Are images of the resin part available?

Anyway those CAD images look terrific, it will be interesting to see how this translates to the final part (detail restitution, surface finish, etc).

Hi PMG,

A Snecma M-53 actually, i am not sure they call that one Atar, the last version of the Atar was the O9K50 launched 1973 for the Mirage F1 and 50, to my knowledge, though i could be wrong. But in any case, yes i am still working on that one, actually the file is very heavy, i went a bit over-enthusiatic on that one, and i still have many details to add (now that i finally found good maintenance photos of those hard to see corners). I will probably have to thicken some of the smallest details in the PC chamber. My initial plan was to make all the internal PC parts with 3D Printing. However, Shapeways (among others) have now changed their post-processing method. They no longer use a water jet or solvent to clean up support material, instead they use an oven. That poses a bit of a problem since any thin unsupported wall or details that are smaller than a certain size will deform or melt during the post-processing. So i am going to go through all the small details to check everything and see if everything is within the limits, and i will look at all possible solutions, or simply go with another system for 3D printing. It's just a question of time. The only reason i have not put that kit on the market yet is because i did not use my main 3D computer and main software for more than a year. I have reinstalled everything late last year and been busy cranking up designs ever since. Expect an avalanche of new 3D parts, i am about to upload pics of more stuff in just a moment.

(Well, actually what i said above it not entirely true, i have not been entirely inactive on the 3D front last year, in fact i was using another computer and a different software and i even practically finished several complete model kits with them, in 1-48 ;) (i am still keeping them under wrap for now), but i wanted to get back to my main system as it is ISV certified to do the most exacting stuff, so here i am now, back to work).

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Will you make the tires a bit bulged for a parked aircraft?

Hi tobiK,

Actually, i started with that the first time. I made an earlier version of the main tires which i DID bulge (minus the lettering parts, as i tried bulging it very early on), but it looked exaggerated and the inner circumference of the tire deformed. It was just a quick test anyway, the next time i will do it differently. I plan to offer both non-bulged and bulged versions of the tires. I understand that some people may not love the look of bulged tires. Some aircrafts have very stiff tires (F-35 for example), but on many pics i saw of the Mirage 2000, the bulged tires are quite visible (from some angles anyway, i think about 1/3rd of the diameter of the tube of the tire is flattened, but then again i also saw some pics that seemed to show aicrafts that had not enough pressure in their tires. In any case, i will get the bulged version later. These will tend make a lot of the visible lettering details i've added disappear under the tire though. After spending a lot of time studying photos, i have now figured that the bulging can be quite subtle on the Mirage 2000 main tires, especially when seen from the front.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

The CAD master certainly looks impressive, but if any of that detail will be visible, you need extremely fine resolution/layer thickness, and that means the parts will be fairly expensive. Even then, there will be some steps and possible faceted surfaces that will require primer and cleanup. A better solution may be to print these wheels with the best resolution possible, then clean them up and cast them in resin. I certainly look forward to seeing some good closeups of primed 3D printed parts so we all can see what we would actually be getting for our money.

Jens

Hi Jens,

This is: Stepping into the 21st Century ! This is the whole idea here: Do everything with 3D printing, no more hand cast parts, get PERFECT PARTS from the 1st one to the 10,000th one !! No more deformed resin castings during demolding (though good, consciencious casters do their utmost to avoid this, and there are good casters out there, some errors and misses are often unavoidable), no mold damage or aging molds marks, no overhead, no need to replace or recast old worn molds, and again a guarantee that the parts will always look the same from day one to 10-20 years in the future (actually they will only get better in the future, as technology keeps getting better). So say bye-bye to the old way, and hello to the best parts and the best quality possible under the sun :) !

And to ensure quality, the parts will be printed with the highest resolution industrial production machines out there, meaning details will be very fine and faithful. Yes the cost will be a bit more than hand cast parts, but when i will give you the list of all the positives, you will realize that for those few dollars more, you will get a MUCH better value for your money (i could show you pictures of hand cast parts i have collected from the web from various countries, some of them looked like dust bunnies encased in resin, others like they had pimples of liquid uncured resin about to pop out, others were covered with resin beads due to molds that were poorly designed, etc, etc...).

And i am currently working on plans that will save you money, including to my clients in Europe and make the whole thing quite competitive.

Also, it is worth thinking about this:

A CAD model printed in 3D is a 2nd generation model, very faithful to the original.

A resin cast model from silicone molds made from a 3D printed parts is a 4th generation model, with all the dimension shrinkage and added casting defects that you can think of added.

When you get parts production printed in 3D you get the highest tolerances and the smallest number of parts generation, meaning you get the BEST quality part.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Jens

Also, consider that if one was to "clean up" a small part covered with very fine inscriptions like this one to eliminate any hint of stair steps, you would end up destroying or damaging all the fine details... Actually, modern injected styrene plastic kits i have seen from many manufacturers often have a plastic parts surface that is much more rough and dimpled than the surface of a high resolution 3D printed part... Not all kits, but i have seen many grainy kit surfaces coming from Asia and Europe recently, and those were modern, well made, highly detailed kits which were NOT made with short-run injection molds.

Currently ONLY 3D printing allows the highest amount of details and the smallest, finest details to be added to small parts, many parts made with some of those details and using injection molding would simply not be demoldable or would require molds with too many slides, making them unaffordable (and would cost a fortune to CNC cut or EDM the molds to attain this level of detail).

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Agree, the only printer that can make those details is the EnvisionTEC Mini but the quality it's not cheap.....

Hi onosendai, I can tell you there are Many machines that do better or similar results than the EnvisionTEC Mini, including polyjet printers... In fact, do you realise that these days one can build himself a homemade printer from open source parts that will make parts that in some case cannot or barely can be distinguised from the industrial SLA printed parts made with machines that cost tens if not hundred of thousands of dollars. Things have changed.

Most of the SLA and now metal printing patents have expired, and this is why we have seen an explosion of small printers since the past 2 years.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Hi Jens,

This is: Stepping into the 21st Century ! This is the whole idea here: Do everything with 3D printing, no more hand cast parts, get PERFECT PARTS from the 1st one to the 10,000th one !! No more deformed resin castings during demolding (though good, consciencious casters do their utmost to avoid this, and there are good casters out there, some errors and misses are often unavoidable), no mold damage or aging molds marks, no overhead, no need to replace or recast old worn molds, and again a guarantee that the parts will always look the same from day one to 10-20 years in the future (actually they will only get better in the future, as technology keeps getting better). So say bye-bye to the old way, and hello to the best parts and the best quality possible under the sun :)/> !

And to ensure quality, the parts will be printed with the highest resolution industrial production machines out there, meaning details will be very fine and faithful. Yes the cost will be a bit more than hand cast parts, but when i will give you the list of all the positives, you will realize that for those few dollars more, you will get a MUCH better value for your money (i could show you pictures of hand cast parts i have collected from the web from various countries, some of them looked like dust bunnies encased in resin, others like they had pimples of liquid uncured resin about to pop out, others were covered with resin beads due to molds that were poorly designed, etc, etc...).

And i am currently working on plans that will save you money, including to my clients in Europe and make the whole thing quite competitive.

Also, it is worth thinking about this:

A CAD model printed in 3D is a 2nd generation model, very faithful to the original.

A resin cast model from silicone molds made from a 3D printed parts is a 4th generation model, with all the dimension shrinkage and added casting defects that you can think of added.

When you get parts production printed in 3D you get the highest tolerances and the smallest number of parts generation, meaning you get the BEST quality part.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Have you actually worked with REAL 3D printed parts/printers? I know of no 3D printed part that can be used straight from the machine without clean up, priming, sanding etc. As Onosendai said, the Envisiontec printers come close, but even they require quite a bit of post-processing. And I have worked with ProJet and Objet printers as well. And yes, the parts had been printed with 16µ, 15µ and 10µ layer thicknesses, the finest possible.

If you accept a wood grain effect and tiny steps on your the finished parts then you can go ahead, but I doubt that this is deemed acceptable by modellers who are used to smooth surfaces. In a few years printer and material developments may deliver just that, but I don't think this is the case now. Economically this doesn't make sense either as parts printed on a high resolution/fine layer printer are very costly due to the long printing time and high material costs. A resin part costs about 20x less than a printed one.

Just my 2c on this...

Jeffrey

A set of wheels like this ones on the market are worth about 6 euro, frankly (after years of experiences in 3d printing....) it's impossible to obtain them direct from a printer with the quality "Brassin" which is the standard for any serious modeler. Amen.

I think we will need to see pictures of the actual 3D printed parts before we are convinced. Super glossy CAD screenshots are marvellous but until we see the actual examples all we have is hyperbole and hubris.

Darius

I completely agree, Darius. CAD images are just fodder for rants and raves these days. I don't make a decision to buy anything until I actually see plastic. PERIOD! All the best with new products, but I'm not that interested in teaser CAD images from anyone for anything.

Tom

A set of wheels like this ones on the market are worth about 6 euro, frankly (after years of experiences in 3d printing....) it's impossible to obtain them direct from a printer with the quality "Brassin" which is the standard for any serious modeler. Amen.

How interesting that the couple of negative critiques come directly from competitors (i checked the link of your sales websites).

Well, here is my answer:

1-Seewheremymoneyisgoingtogo-SHAPEWAYSWarehouse.png

Millions of customers can't be wrong ;)

This is just ONE of the warehouses of Shapeways (because they are now located in the US as well, at several locations).

This one is located in Holland and used to house giant air balloons (Zeppelins).

It just gives you an idea of what is happening right now.

I know, it is hard to see a "new" competitor sometimes, but you're gonna have to live with it. I told someone about a year ago: Beware, as soon as all my systems are reinstalled, i will start my bulldozer. Well, now my bulldozer is running. People have just seen the tip of what is coming and what i am currently working on.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Pics... pics... we need pics... pics please... we implore you for pics ;-)

There will be PMG, don't worry there will be, one thing at a time. I am still finalizing a few little things on the various files and verifying each single component to make sure i have not forgotten anything. I am still working at two or three other files i have not shown yet which i will release with those, and there are more things coming. I am working non-stop since December 25. There are many other things i am also working on i cannot show you yet that will be announced in due time.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

I know, it is hard to see a "new" competitor sometimes, but you're gonna have to live with it. I told someone about a year ago: Beware, as soon as all my systems are reinstalled, i will start my bulldozer. Well, now my bulldozer is running. People have just seen the tip of what is coming and what i am currently working on.

Go get'em tiger! With that swag, you'll win 5% of the time, every time…

Ohhhh... you're using shapeways.

Yeah, the parts won't be useable out of the box, then. Shapeways doesn't run their printers at high enough resolution to work for the kind of high detail and smooth finishes modellers expect from aftermarket detail parts. Not to mention the problems you'll have with matrix interaction between the resin and wax (there is no way to print a one-piece wheel on a Projet that wouldn't be a huge pain to clean up).

But feel free to continue to ignore/insult anyone who dares to offer their advice. You do you, Stephane. I'mma go browse through the many bacon-themed tchotchkes for sale at Shapeways, since that's really their wheelhouse.

625x465_735764_629267_1420843736.jpg

"Beware, as soon as all my systems are reinstalled, i will start my bulldozer. Well, now my bulldozer is running."

For some reason I hear the voice of Eric Cantona speaking those words.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Do not ask for whom the bull dozes; it dozes for thee.

:cheers:

Darius

Edited by Darius at home