F-15C Colors Help...

I'm looking for some help with picking the right colors for my 1/48 GWH build. Disclaimer...I'm far from an Eagle expert. I'm building the 104th FW MA ANG (airframe 125) from the kit markings. The colors from the instructions seem inconsistent. I believe this aircraft is in the mod Eagle colors. The instructions call for FS36270 and FS35237 (neutral gray and pale blue gray). What I'm seeing online is FS36176 and FS36251 (Aggressor Gray and Dark Gray). Do I have the wrong scheme for the markings on this aircraft (was it mid-service colors?) or should I go with online information. Additionally, the instructions call for the gray portion of the intakes to be FS36375 (light ghost gray)...which I assume is incorrect and should simply be the light gray color? It's a nice kit so far, but the color/painting instructions are lacking. Thanks for any help as I try to sort out the Eagle.

I just pulled out my kit, and the instructions in mine listed C306 and C337, which are the colors listed at cybermodeler with scale fade. But the profiles in the kit instructions are confusing. HTH

Also, as far as the intakes go, the instructions say C308, which is not even listed on the paint required chart. It is my understanding that the intakes are the exterior color 5.5 feet in. Hope that makes sense.

What time period are you talking about? The Mass. A.N.G. got our ships when the 5th F.I.S. was deactivated in about 1985/86. Here's a couple shots of 125 at our reception/transition ceremony:

scan0026-4.jpg

scan0025-4.jpg

scan0024-4.jpg

You may notice the way the paint changes color as the light changes.

scan0021-4.jpg

scan0022-3.jpg

We had just the light and dark gray, no blue gray.

I just pulled out my kit, and the instructions in mine listed C306 and C337, which are the colors listed at cybermodeler with scale fade. But the profiles in the kit instructions are confusing. HTH

I guess I didn't think of it that way (the color fade). That would explain the discrepancies in the listed colors. Agreed the profiles/color calls are confusing! Thanks for the input

What time period are you talking about?...

The sad thing...I'm actually not entirely sure. I think it's a pretty current birds, which is why I was supposing mod Eagle for the scheme.

Edited by ESzczesniak

If it's from the 104th it should be in mod eagle scheme which is FS36176 agressor gray and FS36251 dark gray. They only started operating the F-15 after the Change to that color scheme.

Edited by achterkirch

Ah yes, the mod eagle color debate. So here's my take on it, the instructions that list FS 36251 and FS 36176 are the CORRECT mod eagle colors. However, there aren't many paint lines that do both of these colors. Testors makes the FS 36176 (its called F-15 dark grey or something like that). And I believe testors ENAMEL makes FS 36251 (also called aggressor grey?) if you'd like I have a mix of mr color for FS 36251. Although, I'm sure a quick google search or someone could provide a mix for the color in whatever paint line you like here. Now in my experience/opinion there are two basic variations of FS 36176, one has a distinctly blue tinge (perhaps though this is just a combination of lighting, scale effect, weathering, age, etc.), the other variation has a distinctly violet hue (I think these are usually newer? less weathered, or perhaps more of an overcast day in the lighting?) Now, here's where it gets even more confusing, below are a couple images of a 1/32 F-15C I did a couple years ago on a plane that basically had what appeared to be a combination of these two basic colors. I used a large number of greys, blues, violets, filters, etc. in very subtle ways to recreate the effect of faded and weathered paint to achieve the effect.

IMG_1139_zps1620cf7f.jpg

IMG_1144_zps5fd2a242.jpg

The 104th markings are from 2013. The MOANG markings, 2009.

Jake

If it's from the 104th it should be in mod eagle scheme which is FS36176 agressor gray and FS36251 dark gray. They only started operating the F-15 after the Change to that color scheme.

Thanks for the confirmation that I'm at least looking at the right color scheme.

Ah yes, the mod eagle color debate. So here's my take on it, the instructions that list FS 36251 and FS 36176 are the CORRECT mod eagle colors. However, there aren't many paint lines that do both of these colors. Testors makes the FS 36176 (its called F-15 dark grey or something like that). And I believe testors ENAMEL makes FS 36251 (also called aggressor grey?) if you'd like I have a mix of mr color for FS 36251. Although, I'm sure a quick google search or someone could provide a mix for the color in whatever paint line you like here. Now in my experience/opinion there are two basic variations of FS 36176, one has a distinctly blue tinge (perhaps though this is just a combination of lighting, scale effect, weathering, age, etc.), the other variation has a distinctly violet hue (I think these are usually newer? less weathered, or perhaps more of an overcast day in the lighting?) Now, here's where it gets even more confusing, below are a couple images of a 1/32 F-15C I did a couple years ago on a plane that basically had what appeared to be a combination of these two basic colors. I used a large number of greys, blues, violets, filters, etc. in very subtle ways to recreate the effect of faded and weathered paint to achieve the effect.

Any chance you'd be willing to share more information on the finish? You Eagle looks great.

Unfortunately no WIP, I used Mr. Color paints for this one. I used to try and accurately mix the FS colors, but I've been moving away from this mostly because its just maddening trying to get it right, a "good enough" mix is best to start. Once you start using filters, fading, mists, grime, having a correct original FS color is pointless. Think of it like actually painting, where you're blending colors. Bear in mind, you have to use a fair amount of paint since you must constantly add whites, greys, clean the airbrush to switch colors. However, part of what makes this process interesting to the eye is the subtle un-eveness of it all. In fact, fracking up while painting like this usually improves the overall end result since you just paint over it, fade it, blend it over and over. Let me show you a couple other examples from a 1/32 Su-27 Flanker I did.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0549-1.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Now let me give you and idea of how the painting looked when I first started the Flanker.

IMG_0352_zpstr6je4xx.jpg

IMG_0357_zpsavedzinb.jpg

IMG_0358_zpsvppdnfjq.jpg

As of late, I usually only do this technique in 1/32 scale with a subject I'm keenly interested in or have plenty of reference photos, as even though there's more surface area to cover its easier to add detail in your airbrushing. I've also found that if you go slow, usually a slightly thinner consistency of paint, and "mottle" as you go (instead of laying down a thicker and more uniform base coat) and then pull the airbrush farther out you can blend the mottling with mists of the same color and pull off a similar finish, this is less time consuming but requires one to be more comfortable with ones airbrush. Enamel washes over lacquer are also a way I blend the final finish in. The beauty of lacquer paint is its tough as nails and can stand up to a vigorous scrubbing with q-tips required for enamel washes. Enamel washes also add convincing "stains" to paint from rain streaks, grime, etc. Masa Narita has an excellent article about them on his flanker build.

IMG_1139_zps1620cf7f.jpg

IMG_1144_zps5fd2a242.jpg

What are the strips on the top of right wing?

Thats a good question, unfortunately I have no idea what they actually are. If you google F-15C 86-0159, you can see the reference photos show these three plates on the left wing. If I had to guess, I'm assuming it was either in an accident of sorts or some kind of scheduled maintenance revealed cracking and or fatigue in the right wing tip and these plates were added to strengthen in. It's also a nice little touch as not many eagles have these plates. It was also a lot harder to measure, fit, and cut these little buggers than I thought it would be. If I was to do it again I'd use thinner sheets of styrene or find a way to actually cut some type of thin metal. As you can tell my favorite kind of aircraft to do are the heavily weathered ones and this was a gold mine in that department. Making my job even better was the availability of reference photos from all angles for this particular Eagle, including the elusive top-down view of the full camouflage scheme.

Thats a good question, unfortunately I have no idea what they actually are. If you google F-15C 86-0159, you can see the reference photos show these three plates on the left wing. If I had to guess, I'm assuming it was either in an accident of sorts or some kind of scheduled maintenance revealed cracking and or fatigue in the right wing tip and these plates were added to strengthen in. It's also a nice little touch as not many eagles have these plates. It was also a lot harder to measure, fit, and cut these little buggers than I thought it would be. If I was to do it again I'd use thinner sheets of styrene or find a way to actually cut some type of thin metal. As you can tell my favorite kind of aircraft to do are the heavily weathered ones and this was a gold mine in that department. Making my job even better was the availability of reference photos from all angles for this particular Eagle, including the elusive top-down view of the full camouflage scheme.

They look like strengthening plates. I can see them on some F-15Es, but usually only one strip. There is a good picture of 86-0156 (three serials down from yours) banking out of LK and it has one on the left wing.

I looked at some current shots of 86-0159 in LN and I can't see them in the images. I wonder if they are removed at depot level repairs? Which wasn't typical, I worked Hornets, once those plates were added they didn't come off.

86-0159 is on the new Caracal sheet.

The ribs on the outboard of the wing have a tendency to get cracks, my A model had one big scab patch on the wing to strengthen it. Usually when they are applied to one side aerodynamically should be applied to both.

But they are there to strengthen the wing structure by way of the skin.

The ribs on the outboard of the wing have a tendency to get cracks, my A model had one big scab patch on the wing to strengthen it. Usually when they are applied to one side aerodynamically should be applied to both.

But they are there to strengthen the wing structure by way of the skin.

I've always been meaning to ask you this, do you still work aviation in Winnipeg? I ask as I frequent Winnipeg occasionally and I work aviation still. I usually work in or near the Air Canada hangar.

This ex-Hornet guy should meet up with the ex-Eagle guy in Winnipeg someday. I do know a few modelers in Winnipeg (Thomas, WWi builder, Windsock writer).