VFA-25 F/A-18C Accident aboard USS Ronald Reagan

Neu,

I found this:

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Block 35 Hornet (Lot 14) 164642 (VFA-25) struck ramp in night landing on USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) Jan 28, 2006 about 120 mi SE of Brisbane, Australia. Pilot ejected safely and was recovered. Aircraft fell into the sea. AFM Apr 2006

Cheers,

Sean

The link says he relized he was to low and slow, ejected and was safely recovered.

Plane sunk and was not recovered which annoyed the enviromentalists in Australia near where the accident happened.

IF he knew why did'nt he bolter? AND he should have known before it was to late true?

why did'nt he just abort his approach and go around again?

instead they lost a $30 million a/c and could have been many lives

the report states he had a bad habit of flying his approaches to low (just going by what the official report states).

This pilot should not have gone to sea operationally in my opinion

its one thing if it was a mechanical problem but another to have what occurred.

IF he knew why did'nt he bolter? AND he should have known before it was to late true?

the report states he had a bad habit of flying his approaches to low (just going by what the official report states).

He probably punched out since he was at a decision point where he knew that just adding power probably would have only resulted in sending the plane into the fantail of the carrier and then the results would have been even more disasterous. There comes a point in most aircraft mishaps where the guy in the pilot seat knows that something is unavoidable. Those with the ejection seats can live to tell about it if they are lucky.

Not quite as easy as it sounds to to just abort and go around at that low of a speed. Things can happen pretty quickly, unfortunately engine spool-up isn't one of them. Sounds like he goofed alright but I'm sure he was punished accordingly by those who were in the position to do so (ie not us), so I'll just get my bag of popcorn & sit down.

-Mike

IF he knew why did'nt he bolter?

Um, no one CHOOSES to bolter, for ANY reason...

and you "generally" don't know you bolter till you pass the four wire...

Frankly, I'm not really sure what you mean here.

I just love it when these posts turn to unqualified, generally ignorant criticisms of winged aviators' mishaps.

Really makes me glad I still frequent these boards.

-John

This very thing has caused me to rethink my presence here as well.

With all due respect John and Jeff, good luck finding any board that doesn't have its share of armchair pilots and wannabes. Even if you visited boards that were restricted to people with military experience, you'll get the usual peeing matches over F-14s versus Supa Hornets, etc etc etc

With that said, I appreciate the information that people like you, and all the other folks with real world experience bring to ARC.

Trying being a moderator and having to read all of the drival :cheers:

Besides, doesn't it give you real aircrew types comfort knowing that your every move could be shadowed by us model mafia types?

On a distantly related note, my mechanic has a sign in his garage:

LABOR RATE IS $35.00/HOUR

...IF YOU WATCH:$45/HOUR

......IF YOU TRY TO GIVE ADVICE: $55/HOUR

:cheers:

-Mike

Holly crap...if I know that my simple question starts a war here, I don't ask it! :cheers:

No one should leave, you guys are all at the best place around, and we all appreciate your presence, it's important for all of us. Though, it goes like this on all other boards, whether it's modeling or something totally different. Forums are battlefields, and are visited by wide range of personalities with different approach to different things....

With all due respect John and Jeff, good luck finding any board that doesn't have its share of armchair pilots and wannabes. Even if you visited boards that were restricted to people with military experience, you'll get the usual peeing matches over F-14s versus Supa Hornets, etc etc etc

Plus, just because someone does it for a living doesn't mean they're any good at it. Keep your eyes open as you progress to the fleet, John - a not insignificant part of the bell curve resides in the range where on the one hand they know enough to get by, but also JUST enough to be dangerous.

Hell, I got a question yesterday from another "patch wearer" that about gave me an aneurysm... someone who should have DEFINITELY known better....

Forums are battlefields, and are visited by wide range of personalities with different approach to different things....

"Love is a battlefield...."- Pat Benatar

Maybe the problem was the false canopy painted on the Hornet? It could easily cause the pilot to think he was taking off rather than landing.

The other point of fact so grossly overlooked by those "armchair experts" - no Tweet has ever been lost in a carrier landing incident - need I say more? Clearly the second biggest mistake the Fleet ever made was switching over to Hornets rather than Tweets - the first was painting false canopies..

Maybe the problem was the false canopy painted on the Hornet? It could easily cause the pilot to think he was taking off rather than landing.

The other point of fact so grossly overlooked by those "armchair experts" - no Tweet has ever been lost in a carrier landing incident - need I say more? Clearly the second biggest mistake the Fleet ever made was switching over to Hornets rather than Tweets - the first was painting false canopies..

:doh::rofl: