Boeing Museum of Flight

Hello all

My wife and I went to the Boeing Museum of Flight yesterday for our one year anniversary. I thought I would share some pictures with you guys. I understand the need to preserve the aircraft, but the lighting in there sucks for the most part, so I am sorry some of these pictures are not the best. Hope you enjoy, and if you have not already been there, I would highly suggest it.

Aaron

A-6E out front

100_0395.jpg

100_0396.jpg

100_0450.jpg

VF-84 Jolly Rogers F-14A

100_0398.jpg

100_0399.jpg

X-45 "Dark Star" UCAV

100_0401.jpg

Edited by strikeeagle801

It has been a while since I have been down that way, but if I remember right the A-6E that is out front is painted up to represent the bird that LCDR (LT when lost) Harry S. Mossman and LCDR(LTJG when lost) Roderick B. Lester were in when they were lost over North Vietnam in Aug. 20, 1972. Over near the F-4 display is a display of some of the wreckage that the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command had found the day they found Lt. Cmdr Mossman's remains. Anyhow, I don't think that BuNo is real one for the actual bird, but rather the one for the plane that was lost.

Very nice, I was wondering about the Grumman F-14 and A-6, in a Boeing museum. But then the Canadiar Sabre Mk5 makes me guess its every plane they can get their mits on. Which is of course the best way to go.

It has been a while since I have been down that way, but if I remember right the A-6E that is out front is painted up to represent the bird that LCDR (LT when lost) Harry S. Mossman and LCDR(LTJG when lost) Roderick B. Lester were in when they were lost over North Vietnam in Aug. 20, 1972. Over near the F-4 display is a display of some of the wreckage that the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command had found the day they found Lt. Cmdr Mossman's remains. Anyhow, I don't think that BuNo is real one for the actual bird, but rather the one for the plane that was lost.
Very nice, I was wondering about the Grumman F-14 and A-6, in a Boeing museum. But then the Canadiar Sabre Mk5 makes me guess its every plane they can get their mits on. Which is of course the best way to go.

Yes on both counts. There still is the wreckage there in the corner, as well as a few pictures of the actual aircraft. And, as you will see more when I get the props up later today, it's as many different planes that they can get thier hands on. As far as jets go, there are numerous non-boeing planes, including an AV-8A harrier, two MIG-15's, and a MIG-21 near the Phantom.

The thing that I am most excited about is what the have going on at Paine Field right now. Boeing has an original Comet airliner they are restoring, as well as a B-52G. Can't wait till they get those there. I was not able to take pics, as we went after the displays were closed but you can also tour the (inside) of a Concorde and Kennedy/Nixon/Johnson's Air Force One while you are there. Both are pretty neat pieces of history.

Aaron

Brady

Yeah, they still had the Da Vinci exhibit going...till the end of the month I think. You had to have another ticket to get in, so we didn't. I think the main reason they call it the Boeing Museum of Flight is that it is on Boeing Field. Come to think about it, there are more non-boeing planes on display there. Here are the last of the jets. I'll get the props up here in a minute.

Aaron

AV-8A

100_0446.jpg

100_0445.jpg

Bizjet on final

100_0449.jpg

737 waiting for final coat of paint

100_0451.jpg

Aaron,

The last time I was at the museum was back in 2000. Very nice place with great exhibits and displays. I agree that the lighting inside for taking pictures is not real good.

You have some nice pictures there. Thanks for sharing.

Joel

Sounds less like a museum for Boeing planes and more like a Museum that Boeing donated a lot of money to, and thus was allowed to put their name on it.

More like a museum that Boeing owns, is located on Boeing's property (Boeing Field), and even incorporates Boeing's original production facility (the "Red Barn") as an exhibit. To Boeing's credit, it's a museum dedicated to the history of flight and not just to the history of Boeing's products. :whistle:

I haven't been there since 1999 - looks like they've got some cool new stuff mixed in with the cool old stuff.

Anyone notice that little "pod" looking thing over the Phantom's shoulder? It's a partial-motion simulator. If you go, save your money - it's cheezy and kinda sucks. Other than that, the museum is a great place to spend a day.

Edited by BAM'n'IVM

The Museum of Flight is NOT a Boeing facility!

While Boeing has been very helpful and generous over the years, the Museum is a private business.

While the airport is partially named Boeing Field, It is owned by King County. The larger of the two runways is indeed Boeing Field International, the Eastern and smaller is called King County Airport.

The "Red Barn" part of the Museum is the old Boeing plant one. It was donated to the Museum and moved to the site when the Museum was started.

There are far more "non Boeing" aircraft in the Museum than Boeing. But since any aviation museum in Seattle would have to recognize the importance of Boeing to the region and the region's aviation history, there are a lot of displays that are Boeing related.

Norm

The Museum of Flight is NOT a Boeing facility!

While Boeing has been very helpful and generous over the years, the Museum is a private business.

While the airport is partially named Boeing Field, It is owned by King County. The larger of the two runways is indeed Boeing Field International, the Eastern and smaller is called King County Airport.

The "Red Barn" part of the Museum is the old Boeing plant one. It was donated to the Museum and moved to the site when the Museum was started.

There are far more "non Boeing" aircraft in the Museum than Boeing. But since any aviation museum in Seattle would have to recognize the importance of Boeing to the region and the region's aviation history, there are a lot of displays that are Boeing related.

Norm

Calm down, Norm. :huh: It's been almost eight years since I went there, and I was going from memory. Looks like I hit a nerve...

So Boeing helps out massively but the museum is not devoted solely to Boeing aircraft. I'm pretty sure it's not accurate to say that Boeing was "allowed to put their name on it", is it? I've always heard it referred to as "The Museum of Flight at Boeing Field" or simply the "Museum of Flight" - not as the "Boeing Museum of Flight". Is the latter accurate? From the tone and wording of your reply it sounds like maybe you're associated with the Museum somehow, so maybe you can tell us how it's properly referred to.

Thanks

BAM'n'IVM

His info on Boeing Field is correct. It is the King County Airport, and the Museum of Flight is a private business. If you look on the website (link below) it does not even mention Boeing in the title at all. So, I would say it is safe to say that the only thing really Boeing about it is that it is surrounded by the Boeing plant. And that one of the main users of the King County Airport is Boeing. I did not mean for this thread to get heated...only to show the pictures that I took. I would appreciate if the argument ended here. Please.

Aaron

http://www.museumofflight.org/Portal.asp?Flash=True

No reason to calm down. Sorry if the first message sounded harsh. Did not intend it to.

I am a retired Boeing guy, and was a long time member of the MoF until a few years ago. Almost everyone who does not live here and have a close association with the Museum seems to think it is a Boeing run operation and it is not.

There is a new facility being constructed at Paine Field, North of Seattle where the 747/767/777 and new 787 is built that will apparently be a Boeing owned museum. I also understand that the Paul Allen collection will be moving from a smaller airport to this facility.

Norm

No reason to calm down. Sorry if the first message sounded harsh. Did not intend it to.

I am a retired Boeing guy, and was a long time member of the MoF until a few years ago. Almost everyone who does not live here and have a close association with the Museum seems to think it is a Boeing run operation and it is not.

There is a new facility being constructed at Paine Field, North of Seattle where the 747/767/777 and new 787 is built that will apparently be a Boeing owned museum. I also understand that the Paul Allen collection will be moving from a smaller airport to this facility.

Norm

Sorry for the misunderstanding. It's a hell of a museum and I need to take another Seattle vacation to see all the new stuff.

Here's hoping that Boeing's Paine Field museum isn't officially named the "Boeing Museum of Flight"...that'll cause no end to the confusion.

Paul Allen's collection is incredible - I'd love to see it in person. He's got warbirds with combat time, restored as close as humanly possible to their original condition including cloth-insulated electric lines and vacuum-tube radios, and even paint chemistry that matches what was used "way back when". I've seen a couple of features on his P-51 and even thinking about it makes my head spin.