I got to join the media gaggle for the first US visit by the Airbus A380. And yes, it did land at JFK before the other one landed at LAX, so another first for New York!

Waiting patiently:

137309732-L.jpg

On final:

137301794-L.jpg

Touchdown!

137301777-L.jpg

137301839-L.jpg

137308800-L.jpg

137302020-L.jpg

137302136-L.jpg

137302852-L.jpg

Here are the Captain and First Officer from the flight:

137309560-L.jpg

Members of the 23-person cabin crew:

137309409-L.jpg

It's certainly a great technological achievement, but the 380 looks very ungainly to me. It just doesn't have very graceful lines.

Oh well....My company will NEVER buy it, so I don't have to worry about flying it.

Chris

Or in this case it looks like the captain and the captain, going by the four stripes each has.

Is it me, or does the "officer in the right of the photo" look like an 3-way mix of John Kerry, David Bowie, and Frankenstein?

Hmmmm.....4th from left...3rd from right, and far right. Very attractive.

Impressive shots, Moose. Especially love the one where the A380's touching down and kicking up blue smoke off the tires. Sorta makes me wish I was down at YVR for the A380's visit there, late last year.

Is it me, or does the "officer in the right of the photo" look like an 3-way mix of John Kerry, David Bowie, and Frankenstein?

With a little Kevin Bacon thrown in????

Dude no joke I just thought that exact thought to myself. Seriously.

Matt

Sixth from the left and second from the right. Not very attractive.

Yup. 2nd from right reminds me of Jack Nicholson as The Joker in "Batman". 6th from left reminds me of Nurse Ratchett in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Shiver shiver shiver....two Jack Nicholson movies.

I couldn't think of Kevin Bacon, on the John Bowie Frankenstein guy...that was a good one, prowler4!

I saw a video of it landing on the local news and I had to keep rewinding the DVR because I was so astounded by the deflection of the wings...when I saw it the first time in normal speed I thought the wings were gonna fall off...I watched it a few more times in slo-mo just for the heck of it.

What a beast.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for the complements - glad to share the photos. I was shooting with a Canon 30D. Most of the airfield shots were using the Canon 100-400L IS lens. Fortunately, I had my old 300D with a short lens in my bag - when it came past up close, I needed the shorter lens for a few shots.

HE'S FRENCH!

Actually, no, he's German. This was a Lufthansa crew on the flight, Captain Juergen Raps and First Officer Raimund Muller. It was operated as an LH proving flight, with a full LH crew. Airbus had various engineers and technican along, but the guys flying were from LH.

Yup. 2nd from right reminds me of Jack Nicholson as The Joker in "Batman".

When he's all "artsy" and in disguise at the museum especially !

"Wait'll they get a load of ME !" :rofl:

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost