Hunters pf VFA-201 Go Bye-Bye Today

What a shame. This squadron just kicked some serious *** in the Global War against Terrorism. The brain trust in this unit most be enormous. Another squadron bites the dust. Let's see your Hunter Crusaders, Phantoms, Tomcats and Hornets.

163113a.jpg

Little Hunter History here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFA-201_Hunters

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

Would love to hear about the occasion for the tiger stripe. Haven't seen that one. Another build for me.

History is hard to find. From what I can tell, both VF-201 and VF-202 evolved from an amalgamation out of three other reserve squadrons (VF-701, VF-702 and one other) which were flying early F-8s. Trying to find more of those, but little to no information as of yet.

Here are some of my favorites.

F-8H CAG Bird (later went to white noses and upper tail was red and not rainbow).

F-8HVF-201-a.jpg

F-4N CAG Bird (Photos hard to come by, but was able to get several from old Squadron members).

F-4NVF-201-a.jpg

F-4N (Later after they lost their color)

F-4NVF-201zc.jpg

F-4S (Not very colorful, but still nice)

F-4SVF-201-o.jpg

F-14A (Nice one over Dallas)

F-14AVF-201-u.jpg

This is my favorite build. The picture of the Squadron behind it is great as well.

VF-201A.jpg

:bandhead2: Farewell Hunters :whistle:

Edited by Chorse6

From this past Spring, my kids' first airshow. I posted this one in the VFA-201 thread in General Discussion, too. The speedbrake is painted up as a "Don't Tread On Me" flag.

dcp_2916.jpg

Nice shot over Dallas (interesting that three are TPS butt he tail end guy appears to be Overall Light Gull Gray)...thanks for posting them.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by parche

It's really sad they are gone :o I've done my prints for an former unit member, and I remember how happy he was to receive them!

Here are my ones:

F-14-018-A2.JPG

F-14-017-A2.jpg

I wanted to make the other paintscheme as well which is shown on the 4 plane formation over dallas, but I was not able to dig up proper references.

Good by Hunters, well done! :beer4:

Greetings, neu :)

www.deploymentproductions.com

Edited by neu

Nice bunch of pictures. Thanks to all for posting. It is sad to see any unit stand down, but is the inevitable actions of a military that can't afford, or just won't buy sufficient replacements. It seems fairly apparent that the new E and F models are not replacing the A, B, C and D on a one for one basis. Not even just the A and B.

Darwin