Longbow and Cobra got to do some exploring today...WOW did we have a d

Hey all,

Well, since we both had the day off, Brock and I decided to go hang out at the museum and see what we could see. Since we've both worked there for a while and the powers-that-be there like us, we were basically given the keys to three of the storage buildings and told to "have fun". The ensuing two hours (believe me, we could have spent DAYS there) were absolutely unbelieveable. Of course, the crown jewel was the RAH-66 Comanche (yes guys, one M in Comanche), which we not only shot a number of pics of, but actually sat in as well!

We pretty much got pics of the full run of US attack helicopters, from the OH-13X Sioux Scout up to the RAH-66. Only thing missing was the Longbow, but since we both work with em, we're used to seeing them! We both had the opportunity to sit in the AH-56A Cheyenne, YAH-64 AV-02 (the first one to fly!), and the RAH-66. It doesn't get much better'n that! The only thing that would've topped it is if we had the key to N209J's cockpit. Prototypes of every US attack helicopter in one day! Now to find that darn Italeri kit and get to work! Here's the pics:

PICT0036.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

Ooooh...nice. Hey Brock, you ain't really gonna give a crap about any of the rides at Disney after hanging out in the cadillacs??

Great pics guys, thanks for sharing!!

Ditto on the congrats Jon! And for those of us that are already English challenged from growing up in that po-dunct town, thanks for the heads up on the spelling of Comanche! :thumbsup:

-Jim

Guys,

Thanks for the comments and I wish that we could get ARC members in some of these buildings but it would be a huge task. Jon and I was very lucky to get in the Comanche building today because you can not get in that building unless you have been cleared with the guys from who knows where. We were at the right place at the right time and I just happen to have my camera in the truck. The canopy on the P-51 was locked so that is why there is no picture of me in the cockpit, boy I sure wanted to go and dream I was George Preddy shooting down 109's but oh well.

This was a great day and we got to see some pretty cool aircraft. They have more Cobra's and Huey's in storage than anything else.

Brock

Great pictures - thanks for sharing - wish the museum would. Last time I was there I asked about N209J and a few of the other birds I knew they had and the staff played stupid like there wasn't anything else. They even denied having another building - guess they didn't want the hassle. Do you know if there are any plans to put those aircraft on display? Seems like they could rotate or take out a couple of the duplicates on display. If I rember correctly there were several versions of Hueys, OH-13s and L-4s on display.

:cheers: Great pics guys.

Must have been fun, much better than the 8 hours of MDMP USAF-style that I struggled through today, that is a whole other story. :tumble: :lol:

Congrats to you too Jon. Good job. :cheers::salute:

Edited by HeavyArty
Do you know if there are any plans to put those aircraft on display? Seems like they could rotate or take out a couple of the duplicates on display.

If only the Army Aviation Museum had the budget the Navy has with their museum in Pensacola...

Randy,

Unfortunately as Grant pointed out, it comes down to money. I've spoken at length to Steve Maxham, the museum's director about showing those particular aircraft. The plan is to keep the main museum focused on operational types, so the really rare jewels are going to be kept in the dark for now. N209J was on display up until last year after the Comanche got pulled out. Now that floor space is covered by remote control airplanes.... um... I mean UAVs. The good news, however, is that there is a plan to build a second building which will be the "technology and innovation" hall. The centerpiece will be the Cheyenne and Comanche, nose to nose.

Thanks for the congrats guys! Its been an incredible road so far and I'm just getting started! Still have to go through SERE and OBC, but I'll be graduating in mid-July. After that, I get to fly A models, which is going to be incredible! Everyone I've spoken to who has flown both the A and D models says that the A model may be less capable in some ways, but it flies much better.

Gonna be cool!

Jon

Congrats on the wings, Jon.

Looks like the AH-56 there is a lot more "complete" than the one here at Ft Campbell, especially the cockpit! Sometime this spring/summer, I'm going to go and get a full walkaround of that bird. It's sitting outside, and isn't in the best of shape (IIRC it's missing one of the tail rotor blades!), but it's the only one I can get close to.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDo...-56%20Cheyenne/