CRT displays--your preference in displaying them

This stems from the Eduard 1/72 Zoom set for the Hase F/A-18F (for my Jolly Rogers collection, of course!). It has the parts prepainted to show the displays such as tactical maps and the like on every square display, and I can't say I like it...I mean, I'm pretty much building the plane parked on the ramp, for the most part, presumably all shut down. Almost wondering if I should just paint gloss black over the screens?

Any personal preferences? Ya never know, I just might be made to appreciate things in a different light.

I paint them matte black, then use a fine tip, blue Sharpie, and fill in the "screen." It gives an effect that isn't strictly accurate, but I'm happy with.

F-111B2.jpg

Personally, I never show one that is powered up, if I don't simulate engines runnning, and be aware that various CRT's, MFD's, etc... could vary widely between, green, black, white, yellow, orange, gray etc... when powered down.

Regards,

Murph

I paint them matte black, then use a fine tip, blue Sharpie, and fill in the "screen." It gives an effect that isn't strictly accurate, but I'm happy with.

F-111B2.jpg

Personally, I never show one that is powered up, if I don't simulate engines runnning, and be aware that various CRT's, MFD's, etc... could vary widely between, green, black, white, yellow, orange, gray etc... when powered down.

Regards,

Murph

Nice effect Murph !

And I believe they are now putting LCD screens in cockpits also ...

It gets sorta tough to figure out what is what ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

I love the film suggestion. I've been keeping tons of expose slide film for just that purpose - and it looks so real when done. I've also used kodachrome64 as it has a green cast to it and when put in the cockpit - there is nothing better!

-brian

I'm doing something similar to what GreyGhost does... I just paint them. My technique goes like this:

Check references, a lot of MFD's appear black or dark gray when powered down but there are variations. The MFD's on our birds are quite black; the CDU's have a slight green tint to them. The MPCD on the Eagles I worked years ago were black with a slight purple tint, other scopes, VSD, etc... slight green to a milky green appearance.

Paint the MFD with a color that comes close to the reference.

Tint the MFD using whatever you normally use. I use Tamiya smoke, future & food coloring, Mr.Color clear lacquers, and so on.

Main thing, experiment & have fun :salute:

HTH :cheers:

Here's one from my "I'll finish it someday" pile, it's been there since the kit first came out :doh: Note... The flash really brings the colors out; under normal lighting it's tough to see the subtle effect.

IMG_2986.jpg

Sweet looking idea, Scott! Thanks...okay, is there anyone out there who actually favors keeping the maps and the like on all the screens?

Problem with doing that Andrew is that means your jet has power to it. I much prefer the photo negative technique and to add to it, make sure it is the grey tinted exposed film and not the brown. You could always tint a hint of clear green from the back side as well.

Mike

Problem with doing that Andrew is that means your jet has power to it.

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking...seems they went to a lot of trouble for something which 1) isn't accurate for the way most will be built, and 2) something I don't even want anyway!!!

I've noticed that sometimes the screens will even have a iridescent look to them too when powered down ... Someone on ARC uses that party confetti that has that look to it ...

Gregg

I just paint clear green over the black screens on mine. That gives enough of a powered down looking state for me. Since some of the newer CRTs seem to have a yellowish tint to them, I might try that or orange if I need to in the future.

Keep in mind that most newer US fighters don't use CRT technologhy anymore....it's LCD so the power off look of the display would look different. IF you turn off a flat panel monitor you'll see what I mean. I don't know about Super Bug's, but newer F-15E's are LCD.

Here's a pic of the aft cockpit I found....

FA-18FSuperHornetRear.jpg

HTH

Daniel

Yeah, and I can't stand them only giving us the option of being powered up. I have used all the techniques listed here.

I noted on Eduards 1/32 Hornet they have a few of the screens reversed from our standard operating procedure. The screens are interchangeable, but we don't set them up in that manner for a particular reason.

Another way to make the iridescent look is to first spray the panel with Alclad prismatic colours - they have various shades - and then paint the framing and all around it as usual.

LCDs in cars (I work in the automotive industry) should preferably appear black. That is the way the customer prefers them. The colour of the display itself can be a very dark blue (though this depends on the technology), and to make it appear black, we put a bright orange/dayglo diffuser (the purpose of this is to diffuse the light and make it appear more evenly illuminated) behind the display, as this will make it appear black in the power off state. Most LCDs have anti-reflection glass that take on a very slightly textured appearance that is best simulated using satin varnish in scale. High gloss would be unrealistic.

Jens

Do any of the higher block or export Vipers have them?

How the hell should I know? I'm working on 21 year old Block 30s!!! ;) I haven't touched anything newer than Colorado's 88 model year jets. :D

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
That was mine....................

fa18ccockpitdr_1_4.jpg

fa18ccockpitdr_1_3.jpg

Cool Dave, I had wondered about that technique. I THINK I remember your article on building the cockpit, and seems like you said you'd get back to explaining the CRT screens, but I could never find the explaination. I thought maybe "ancient Chineese secret" or something. :yahoo: Just from the photos, some of the best looking screens i've seen, accurate or not, they look maauvalous.

Bill