C-130s, the amazing HERK!

• 5 weeks later...

Boy I had to dig deep for this and dust off some F-14 dandruff!

asdf9.jpg

This plane now has a regular round Herk nose. The Fulton system is deleted......

SoaringAngel08043.jpg

P1110126.jpg

And from a diferent perspective

P1110142.jpg

Last but not least....The reel but no hose! Feel free to save this pic because you are all dieing to build one, and I know it! :lol:

P1110185.jpg

Back to the top where she belongs!

Curt

• 4 weeks later...

'340 is also plumbed as a tanker which may explain why it has the Norad Anniversary art (i.e. CF-18 refueling). Both Hercs look like mini-wheats - frosted on one side.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but thank again for posting all these, Chris.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sean Bratton
The "A" model was camoflaged on top and black everywhere else.

scan0107.jpg

The "H" was overall black:

scan0022-1.jpg

In 1974, after they transfered to Korat from Ubon, this ship showed up at Korat:

scan0110.jpg

Not too long laterthe "H" models looked like this:

scan0109.jpg

Then sometimes parts were switched:

scan0027.jpg

Were these panited in an overall flat black or gloss black, these are some bad a** looking hercs!!

572, the overall black AC-130E was a flat black and the earlier ones were gloss black with SEA camo on top. Hard to tell if they were camo on top as the black extended pretty far up the fuselage.

Best wishes,

Grant

It looks like that plane went throught hell or a flock of birds, because looks like they canned alot of parts off another plane. I bet they are doing a gear swing for the new main landing gear door on the left side. Note: Mis-mached paint on left OTBD MLG door. Left door is pinned in the flight position while the right door is pinned in the full open position. Every time you play with landing gear ya gotta make sure it is rigged out correctly. That's my educated guess about what's going on here.

That's a strange patch near the flight deck AC inlet duct. I wonder if this bird has been shot at and hit?

Cool pics.

The second to last pic also shows an enlarged left gear pod. Weird. Looks like an EC gear pod.

Curt

I noticed that too... It appears to be the same on the right as well. Very interesting picture. Doesn't seem to have any other strange antennas but the large window in front of the landing gear pod is unusual as well. What unit is this plane from? Also, completely unrelated - that is a very clean looking Herc. Looks like it just got out of the paint shop.

Maybe it's an EC just back from Depot. When I worked Gunships we often removed alot of the equipment and all the stuff inside before we flew them out. We just put close out plates on the holes. IDK what's up with this one. The scanners windows look a little strange too. Another theory..... We had a plane at Herbie 64-7898 that was a bastardzed EC that was modded and de modded into everything. It ended up having alot of close out panels fairings that did nothing. In the end it was an E model with -15 engines and in flight refueling! Great plane.

Curt

I just noticed it doesn't have external tanks installed......

Edited by C-130CrewChief