C-130s, the amazing HERK!

Well, I missed the airshow/open house at my home base Dyess because of a TDY - oh well, my son got some good shots - but I did get a few shots between and during my flights on the trip.

Mark

Getting ready to leave Dyess...

101_0108.jpg

A short layover at Colorado Springs due to weather up north...

101_0130.jpg

A Colorado Springs based fire-fighting Herc....

101_0133.jpg

Getting towed behind my Herc....

101_0134.jpg

And a few more from my TDY.

Mark

Lead flying near Pikes Peak...

101_0158.jpg

And a shot looking aft through the bubble. My load took this one...

101_0143.jpg

One at Cheyenne when we had to return early due to the Nav going hypoxic. Long story...

000_0009.jpg

When 6 bladed props just aren't enough, how about some 8 bladed props on a C-130H. Photos taken at Edwards May 13, 2008.

Check this out...

http://defence-data.com/current/page39651.htm

They're going to the NY Air Guard LC-130s but being tested on a Wyoming bird.

Another...

http://www.snowaviation.com/current.htm

Mark

(BTW, I just noticed I got the 130th reply!! :) )

019_16.jpg

017_14.jpg

Edited by Mark O. Williams
What is an Open Sky Pod and mission?

R.S.,

Have a look here.

Canada uses a C-130 Hercules aircraft equipped with a "SAMSON" sensor pod to conduct flights over other treaty nations. The pod is a converted CC-130 fuel tank modified to carry the permitted sensors, along with associated on-board mission systems. A consortium of nations consisting of Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Canada, France, Greece, Italy, Norway, Portugal, and Spain own and operate this system. The costs of maintaining the SAMSON Pod are shared, based on each nation's flight quota and actual use.

Cheers,

Sean

scan0019-1.jpg

Were these gunships painted black all over? or is this allready a shade of dark gunship grey? I knew of early ones which had similar paintings like B-52Ds but never seen them that black all over

Edited by Fiddler

The "A" model was camoflaged on top and black everywhere else.

scan0107.jpg

The "H" was overall black:

scan0022-1.jpg

In 1974, after they transfered to Korat from Ubon, this ship showed up at Korat:

scan0110.jpg

Not too long laterthe "H" models looked like this:

scan0109.jpg

Then sometimes parts were switched:

scan0027.jpg

To add to all these stretched Julliets:

This one took off during RIAT departures, dipping its wing a little when shooting by at quite low level

IMG_1549-editAPCS2_1200.jpg

Took me some walk around shots from this bird as I thought it would be cool to see as a decal subject :cheers:

Edited by Fiddler

Some snaps from last Thursday, Garrison Day at Ronneby AFB.

These are actually the first ground-to-air shots I've taken with my new camera. Turned out pretty well I think, altough I wish I had brought a better lens.

herc01.jpg

herc02.jpg

herc03.jpg

herc06.jpg

herc08.jpg

herc07.jpg

herc05.jpg

"Mission marks" from the latest deployment with the ISAF forces in Afghanistan.

herc04.jpg

herc09.jpg

A worn-out ramp agent (a.k.a. Yours truly), while taking a well earned break from the hard work of photographing aircraft on a beautiful spring afternoon...

img001.jpg

here are some of my pics the aussie hercs pics were taken by me at the 2006 richmond airshow (i found time and money to indulge in my passion whilst backpacking around oz)

STA71631.jpg

STA71639.jpg

STA71700.jpg

STA71701.jpg

and this one was taken at riat last year and i think it's a brazilian machine

fairford07048.jpg

hope you like!!

C-130A 54-1638 from the AFRES unit at Keesler (?). Transported an AF band to Goodfellow AFB, Texas (which has no active runway). Photo taken at San Angelo Municipal in the summer of 1984.

J

C-130A_54-1638.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not how you want to see your ride from Clark Air Base, Philippines, to Kadena, Okinawa. We were preparing to go home to Kadena from Cope Thunder in May, 1984. Tail number 7811.

This scene is the SECOND time this bird broke. First was a leak, Third was an abort on the runway just before rotation. 12 hours after intended departure, we got this pig in the air. Talk about nervous in the service.......

img235-vi.jpg

Edited by txtom