Weathering Update!!!!

Dang dude that looks really nice :worship:

Mind sharing what colors you used for the base/weathering shades?? :coolio:

The color you're using on that wash (in that bowl) looks to be a pretty good match for your paint scheme...what color is that? :huh:

Hoping my SH turns out as nicely as that :whistle:

AW

Edited by AnthonyWan
I like that! What markings will you be using?

Mike

The Twobobs Bounty Hunters sheet. Im gonna do a/c 111 whichis the lo-vis jet. I saw one last year and i thought that was the best lookin Rhino ever painted, especially when it was weathered. :wub:

i like it, who's kit are you using for the build?

Anthony was right, its a Hasegawa 1/48

Dang dude that looks really nice :thumbsup:

Mind sharing what colors you used for the base/weathering shades??

The color you're using on that wash (in that bowl) looks to be a pretty good match for your paint scheme...what color is that?

Hoping my SH turns out as nicely as that :whistle:

AW

I got the Model Master acrylics Dark Ghost Gray and Light Ghost Gray and did my base colors. Then i got some dark brown chalk/pastel and dusted the whole jet while also getting kinda heavy on some spots. Then i threw in a lil' black in the mix to break up the overall brown look. The nice thing about pastels though is that it covers two steps. It does the dirt and grime but it also fills in the panel lines to take away that extra step for a wash. After the dusting i got some Gunze Light Ghost Gray and 91% Isopropyl Alchohol and used 12 drops of thinner to 3 drops of paint for my airbrush mix and sprayed areas i had seen pics of being patched up and some that i just made up. Last i got some black dust and dusted around the edges of the patches to bring them out and show the actual dirt that is visible around them. BTW wear some latex gloves after you put dust on the model cause you'll get a fingerprint from hell on it and its hard to remove.....beleive me..lol. :coolio: Hopefully this helps to answer your question. :D

Zach

One more thing. Thanks to all for the replies on this jet. I really appreciate it

Most definitely. I should be going this year as i am hoping to visit Langley and Oceana also while im there plus hang out with other ARCer's. SAWEEEEEEEET!!! :thumbsup:

90% chance I'll see you there then.

I take it, you're going to enter in the adult category, correct?

Edited by Super Hornet 88
90% chance I'll see you there then.

I take it, you're going to enter in the adult category, correct?

Probably. This is the big one though seeing as it'll be my first Nationals that i'll be entering adult. :beer4:

Lookin' great there Buddy! How's the finger? By the way, I owe you a phone call still.

Aaron

Thankya. My finger healed up good, but it's still numb on the tip. Its funny though cause earlier today i almost ripped half of my thumbnail completely off on my other hand. It's been a bad couple o weeks for hands..lol. Dont worry about the phone call, whenever you get a chance. :thumbsup:

Lookin' great. I look forward to seeing it in VA Beach. One thing you might want to do is remove the "stain" from behind the vents on the forward LEX area. I don't think anything actually "leaks" from back there. I believe it's just air. You might try misting a light coat of Light Ghost Gray over the entire surface to blend everything together. I'm just not a big fan of the dark panel lines. Look at pictures of SH's and you'll see how they look. There are some dark panel lines, but nothing uniform. You've done a fantastic job on it so far.

I got the Model Master acrylics Dark Ghost Gray and Light Ghost Gray and did my base colors. Then i got some dark brown chalk/pastel and dusted the whole jet while also getting kinda heavy on some spots. Then i threw in a lil' black in the mix to break up the overall brown look. The nice thing about pastels though is that it covers two steps. It does the dirt and grime but it also fills in the panel lines to take away that extra step for a wash. After the dusting i got some Gunze Light Ghost Gray and 91% Isopropyl Alchohol and used 12 drops of thinner to 3 drops of paint for my airbrush mix and sprayed areas i had seen pics of being patched up and some that i just made up. Last i got some black dust and dusted around the edges of the patches to bring them out and show the actual dirt that is visible around them. BTW wear some latex gloves after you put dust on the model cause you'll get a fingerprint from hell on it and its hard to remove.....beleive me..lol. :blink: Hopefully this helps to answer your question.

Sweet...Thanks dude :blink:

One more question...how do you apply the pastels? Do you just grind them up and use a large brush?

Cheers

AW

Zach,

You are far too skilled a model builder for your age, stop puttin us old farts to shame, great work man!

Jeff

lol...thanks. At my local Hobby Shop people used to always threaten to cut my fingers off, glad it didnt happen :D

Lookin' great. I look forward to seeing it in VA Beach. One thing you might want to do is remove the "stain" from behind the vents on the forward LEX area. I don't think anything actually "leaks" from back there. I believe it's just air. You might try misting a light coat of Light Ghost Gray over the entire surface to blend everything together. I'm just not a big fan of the dark panel lines. Look at pictures of SH's and you'll see how they look. There are some dark panel lines, but nothing uniform. You've done a fantastic job on it so far.

Im with you a 100% on how they look in real life, but i personally like the panel lines kinda standing out so everyone can see the detail that is actually on the model. Another reason is idk how to give it that look of realism w/out highlighting some of the panel lines. When the decalling was all done i kinda plan on spraying a very very thin and light mist of the base colors on the model anyways to help blend and tone the model down. Thanks for the suggestions though <_<

Sweet...Thanks dude :)

One more question...how do you apply the pastels? Do you just grind them up and use a large brush?

Cheers

AW

get a broad, cheap, $.20 brush and rub back and forth on the block of chalk itself and then apply it to the model. You can brush it on or dab it on depending on the effect you want. Do like i did and just play around with it until you get the desired effect. <_<

Zach

I think we need a step-by-step commentary on how he did the painting/weathering.

Here's what i typed up earlier in the forum that should hopefully answer your question. Let me know if there is anything else. Zach <_<

QUOTE(Zach Falzon @ Dec 13 2007, 08:19 PM)

I got the Model Master acrylics Dark Ghost Gray and Light Ghost Gray and did my base colors. Then i got some dark brown chalk/pastel and dusted the whole jet while also getting kinda heavy on some spots. Then i threw in a lil' black in the mix to break up the overall brown look. The nice thing about pastels though is that it covers two steps. It does the dirt and grime but it also fills in the panel lines to take away that extra step for a wash. After the dusting i got some Gunze Light Ghost Gray and 91% Isopropyl Alchohol and used 12 drops of thinner to 3 drops of paint for my airbrush mix and sprayed areas i had seen pics of being patched up and some that i just made up. Last i got some black dust and dusted around the edges of the patches to bring them out and show the actual dirt that is visible around them. BTW wear some latex gloves after you put dust on the model cause you'll get a fingerprint from hell on it and its hard to remove.....beleive me..lol. Hopefully this helps to answer your question.