Which airforces practice operating from highways?

Title says it all - a picture on airliners.net of a Finnish F/A-18D landing on the highway reminded me to ask. There's also a great picture of an F-16 with a stop sign in the foreground on there somewhere. Just looking for a list, but interesting pics are always fun :cheers:

I believe the Swiss do it as well. There are some cool pics of traffic lights with cars having to stop and the Hornets rolling by. Too cool!

I'm pretty sure it was intended to use German highways in case of a NATO-Warsaw Pact clash. There are pics of SEPECAT Jaguars and A-10 doing that in exercises.

On the Autobahn 44 between Kassel and Dortmund there's a very long stretch of highway specially prepared for events like that. The overall length is about 4kms of perfectly straight runway (measured it on a route-calculating site). The barrier between the lanes can be dismantled and the area between the two lanes is also paved (which usually isn't the case). Then there are rather large lay-bys (again bigger then it's usually the case) at either end of the "runway" as stands and arming/refuelling points for the aircraft. The lamp posts there can also be dismantled to clear the wings.

Cool, I found it in Google maps. CLICKY.

And I've read that the RAF wanted to operate Harriers from shopping mall parking lots.

In fact, a lot of the German infra-structure incorporated such things to cater for an anticipated Soviet attack. Road-side ditches have less steep slopes on the eastern sides to facilitate counter-attacks by NATO tanks and steeper slopes on the western sides to hamper Soviet tanks. Bridges had built-in "blow up HERE" points and there were hidden ammo dumps in the forests. Thankfully, those never had to be used!

EDIT: Did some diggin'. HERE's an interesting link regarding use of a highway as a runway. It is in German, but Google may help translating.

Pics from link above:

800px-A-10_Thunderbolt_II_takeoff_on_Autobahn_DoD_DF-ST-85-05084.jpg

800px-Hercules_C130_landing_on_Autobahn_DoD_DF-ST-84-09441.jpg

800px-C130_Hercules_taxidriving_on_Autobahn_DoD_DF-ST-84-09439.jpg

800px-Thunderbold_II_A10_landing_on_autobahn_1984_DoD_DF-ST-84-09440.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of Jaguars doing that as well.

YET ANOTHER EDIT:

Found on the SAAB History homepage:

viggenphoto_small.jpg

The waretime bases

The waretime bases between the two lakes Vänern and Vättern played an important role during the Cold War. One way to protect the aircraft was dispersion and regular roads were used for taking off and landing. In this region there was a great number of war bases. The precise location and infrastructure was highly restricted.

Viggen was constructed to be able to take off and land from short runways. A strong engine (about 80,000 hp) together with delta wing and a canard wing made it possible for the aircraft to take off from a short distance. To be able to stop quickly the aircraft was equipped with a highly effective thrust reversing system.

In the early eighties road number 44 was rebuilt to contain four short runways (17 x 800 meters). Along the road a large number of turn-around-sites for reaming and refueling were built. These short runways are still used today for training, landing and taking off with Gripen and Hercules as preparation for international operations under adverse conditions.

Wow! :cheers:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Interesting facts and photos, CA.

The highway strips the FinAF mostly is using are really made for that purpose having long, very wide and straight runway lines embedded as part of a normal highway.

There was a couple of nice photos from some excercise involving our F-18s in an article by a certain international aviation magazine, the name of which escapes me at the moment (AFM, Combat Aircraft...?)

More's the pity.... *sigh*

Well, you can probably get away with taxiing something as big as a Tomcat on some of the streets out in Arizona, but I challenge any jet fighter in the world today to use the street I live on as a taxiway. Between the hills, curves, medians and dividers, only a VTOL or an STOL aircraft like the OV-10 could use any of the local highways/interstates as a runway.

I love the pics of the A-10!

Here's the Norwegian F-16 in front of a stop sign

Airliners.net

I noticed under the photo caption, it says it'a a Fokker F-16B Fighting falcon, not General Dynamics.

Are these built under license by the Fokker company? I was under the impression that all F-16's were built here in the US.

But interesting pictures though. Are these highways used by the general public or just military purposes.

Cheers :D

Andy G

When I was stationed at Kadena we would fly up to South Korea during an exercise and use the highway runways. It was neat to be parked with our MC-130 and "4 fans turning" waiting to offload ground troops and have several A-10's taxi by with normal traffic on the other side of the road.