F-22 now on display at AF Museum

AF.mil

The museum's aircraft, serial number 91-4003, was one of nine built for engineering, manufacture and development testing in 1999, and became the first F-22 to launch an AIM-120 air-to-air missile at supersonic speeds. After completing its test program, the aircraft came to the museum and was restored by the museum's restoration team.

Wouldn't they want to at least keep it on hand for spares? I mean, I know that as a test bird they've probably flown the hell out it, but it does seem weird to me that with the few airplanes we've purchased that they're not doing more with this one (but then, I don't know much about that airframe... is it even still flyable?)

That was there in October when I visited,unless this is a different one.

That's one of the YF-22s

So there were 9 EMD aircraft right? One is at the museum, one went to Tyndall as a ground trainer, I heard one went somewhere for more testing, any ideas about the rest?

The YF-22 that Flying Fort pictured looks like the one that LM displayed at Dobbins AFB/Nas Atlanta Airshows years ago. Heard that it was a prototype mock up that never flew. Just what I heard. Intresting, huh?

Chuck

This is the #3 Raptor, and I was told by a certain Resident Raptor Officianado that this was the bird that was used for high gains flight testing and was grounded after experiencing "massive over G's."

We were treated to a tour of the restoration hangar while it was in the process of being made "museum ready" and the YF-22 still resided inside the actual museum........I wonder where they have that now??

These and many other photos from the Museum and Dayton Airshow can be found in our September 2007 issue.

Anyway, enjoy! Craig

museum5.jpg

museum9.jpg

museum8.jpg

museum6.jpg

museum7.jpg

Edited by CRASCA
Is that a Mig-25 in the background?

Yes - in fact I was standing on a ladder next to the Foxbat when I took the 1st shot back down at the Raptor. It was dug out of the sand in Iraq during the Gulf War, and was (is) missing some key ingredients - including one of the hor. stabs.

Some of my pics of the Foxbat are on the AF Museum site - check out the link.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheet...a.asp?fsID=8752

Edited by CRASCA
Funny how it has the FF painted on it's tail now and the nose probe gone. Nice to have both this plane and the original YF-22 there now.

To my knowledge, ship three never had a nose probe. Aircraft one and two are easily identifiable because they had blade antennas and a nose probe. Ship three and on all have conformal antennas and no probe.

Those are very nice pics there Craig!

To my knowledge, ship three never had a nose probe. Aircraft one and two are easily identifiable because they had blade antennas and a nose probe. Ship three and on all have conformal antennas and no probe.

I believe Raptor 4003 did have a nose probe and all:

F22crewchief01.jpg

The first Raptor that didn't have a test nose probe is Raptor 4004 which I believe is the one you were thinking of:

f22-4004-rollout.jpg

It was the first true integrated avionics Raptor and was first piloted by Lockheed's Chief Test Pilot Brett Luedke on November 15, 2000 from what I read.

Those are very nice pics there Craig!

I believe Raptor 4003 did have a nose probe and all:

F22crewchief01.jpg

The first Raptor that didn't have a test nose probe is Raptor 4004 which I believe is the one you were thinking of:

f22-4004-rollout.jpg

It was the first true integrated avionics Raptor and was first piloted by Lockheed's Chief Test Pilot Brett Luedke on November 15, 2000 from what I read.

Yep, obviously you are correct. I was a ship off apparently.

Thank you!!