How about a delta wing group build?

Hey everybody,

Has anyone suggested a delta-wing group build? That would emcompass pretty much any country that has built a fighter, from the famous Mirage to the Viggen, to the Mig-21 and today's Gripen, Rafale and Eurofighter. I think it'd be neat, plus I have all these delta-winged planes in my stash...

Would give me an excuse to finish that Mirage IIICJ on the shelf. Or the F-102 in SEA camouflage.

Would "What ifs" be allowed?

My Camouflaged B-58 project, or a NASA CF-105 Arrow.

As much as I love what-ifs, I'd rather not as it'd be a conflict of interest for me (I'm one of the administrator's on the What If website). The nuts at that site would love to see your B-58 and CF-105 though - www.whatifmodelers.com

Edited by Supertom

Erm, okay. Anyone want to help me moderate this, and when do we want this to happen?

Rules, erm, any delta, including prototypes and cropped delta (thanks to Murph on that idea). No what-ifs (again, conflict of interest, sorry jhe56). What else?

Edited by Supertom
Rules, erm, any delta, including prototypes and cropped delta (thanks to Murph on that idea). No what-ifs (again, conflict of interest, sorry jhe56). What else?

OK, What about "tailed" delta's like MiG-21 and A-4?

Double delta's like Saab J-35, F-16XL?

Double deltas, yes. Tailed deltas too, though the A-4 is less "delta-y" than a MiG-21 and thus probably won't qualify. (same goes for the F-16, and besides, they have their own GB going on)

Edited by Supertom

OK, here's a list -- anything I missed?

F-102

F-106

B-58

XB-70

XF-92

F4D

CF-105

Mirage III

Mirage IV

Mirage V

Mirage 2000

Saab J-35

Saab-AJ/JA-37

Saab JA-39

Rafale

Vulcan

Nesher

Kfir

Lavi

Chengdu J-1O (F-11)

MiG-21

Su-9

SU-11

Su-15

Eurofighter Typhoon

Gloster Javelin

(Do these count?)

F7U

B-2

XFY-1 Pogo

SR-71/YF-12

And exactly why has no-one mentioned the most successful of them all - commercially that is - the one and only supersonic and commercially viable - Concorde? :thumbsup:

Technically the F-16 is a delta too, as are many many other planes with straight trailing edges and angled leading edges. Whether they meet in a point or a sidewinder rail is minutae, IMO.

I think such a category is too broad, as the majority of modern aircraft have this type of wing.

You might as well say "Tricycle landing gear group build!" -- it's vague to the point of having no unifying theme.

Come to think of it Mark, you're right. Maybe we should refine it to "tailess delta," as in those without horizontal stabilizers, so that leaves out the MiG-21 and Lightning too, but at least it'll be more consistent.

Come to think of it Mark, you're right. Maybe we should refine it to "tailess delta," as in those without horizontal stabilizers, so that leaves out the MiG-21 and Lightning too, but at least it'll be more consistent.

And the Javelin and the Sukhois.

Come to think of it Mark, you're right. Maybe we should refine it to "tailess delta," as in those without horizontal stabilizers

That's more like it! :thumbsup:

P.S. That doesn't exclude canards, eh? They're not on the tail! :cheers:

That brings up the question, if the MiG-21 is out for having horizontal stabs, what about the Eurofighter and Gripen? Seems like their forward movable canards basically do the same function as the MiG-21's tail stabs, they are just in a different place, plus their wings don't come to a point because they have missile rails there.

I agree with the tailess delta concept. Maybe we ought to say a delta wing and a vertical tail only. Small fixed canards like on the Kfir and some Mirages would be OK because they aren't moving control surfaces.